Release The Seatle Kraken

fan4ever

On 7/23/2020 at 1:08 PM, fan4ever said:

Ugh!  The logo is okay but the color scheme is terrible. That jersey lasts for ONE year before the color scheme gets completely re-done.

I haven't given much thought to Seattle anything, but if it were up to me, the color scheme would have been black and silver (like the Kings) and put just a hint of purple in there or maybe a hint of orange. 

The ocean is basically black when you go deep enough. An octopus (kraken-like animal) is sort of greyish/purple. It would make sense.

What they have now gets an F grade in my books. The logo is "meh" but the colors are just about the worst colors possible.  :) 

14 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

5 minutes in MS Paint, but here's my idea:

fixed.png.71e0161a1ad7b54c5200bbf17356c311.png

Sorry,  not a fan.... I totally like the new jerseys.  It has all the colors that look like the sea.   As far a the purple goes the Kings need to bring it back to their color scheme.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 7:30 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

5 minutes in MS Paint, but here's my idea:

fixed.png.71e0161a1ad7b54c5200bbf17356c311.png

This is a joke right?

These colors aren't better, it is not even close.

This is a terrible way to make the point that you could do better. 

The mono chromatic blue with the contrasting red is great use and execution of color theory in design. 

Also black and silver? 

2020 is all kinds of ****ed up and i would want to stay 1994 too but damn son that look went out when Easy E left NWA.

• Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

This is a joke right?

These colors aren't better, it is not even close.

This is a terrible way to make the point that you could do better. 

The mono chromatic blue with the contrasting red is great use and execution of color theory in design. 

Also black and silver? 

2020 is all kinds of ****ed up and i would want to stay 1994 too but damn son that look went out when Easy E left NWA.

How about something like this:

• Blue for the water
  • Lighter blue for tropical water
  • Black to represent deep water
  • Grey to represent plastic bags and bottles in the water
  • Salmon pink to represent the fish in the water

stank.png.d59ef20d64f225a79120218541461428.png

(Much more 2020....)  :bigteeth:

Edited by WordsOfWisdom
  • Uggh... 2

7 hours ago, hf101 said:

seattle-kraken-colours.png

For me personally, I think those colors might work as an application theme in Microsoft Windows, but I think the "color theorists" are taking it too far when they try to take what works on a personal computer (colors designed not to be noticed essentially, colors meant to fade into the background of whatever you're doing) and then apply that to sports team jerseys (which are meant to be loud, colorful, and bold).   :) 

I guess we'll see how it plays out.

@hf101

thanks for posting the chip chart. My work requires me to spend time in the design world as a consumer and occasionally a creator. Usually  I have to work within already established guidelines rarely does the client have all their **** together like the kraken. Charts like that are super helpful for creating content. 

You'll notice that color pallet is in the hype video. 

Also want to give some love to the secondary logo. That is rad, love the space needle in the anchor. And much like the guitar pick on the Preds sweaters, the anchor is a great subliminal shout out to the city and it's maritime tradition.

the ad / marketing agency that created this would be dynamite place to work. Stressful I bet, but there appear to be some really creative minds there usually the creativity and fun make the stress tolerable.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, extra skater said:

Gonna be funny listen to Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and hopefully Screaming Trees in the intermissions.

They better play 'Man in the Box' when they get a penalty

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Seattle Kraken have already be placed into an NHL '94 Rom, that's all I needed to hear.  I wish they were more seafoam and blue color scheme, but the logo and the name are great.  

I don't think they'll get the haul Vegas did because teams will just part with the one player and not give them a bunch of additional assets.  But they will still end up with a fairly competitive team out of the gate in comparison to the early 2000's expansion teams.  

Now we just got to move an Eastern Conference team back to Quebec...

Edited by CreaseAndAssist

On 7/23/2020 at 10:37 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Seattle Kraken.
I am actually fine with that.
I was voting for that name on threads elsewhere.

We've got enough big cats, birds, fish types, equidae and ursids throughout sports world.......but not a whole lot of cephalopods, so that is unique.

Is this the first time a top level sports franchise has been named after an animal that doesn't exist (and has never existed)?   :thinking:

kraken.jpg.e8fac029eae3d0050368679006743fd5.jpg

Bears, ducks, coyotes, ..... etc.  They all exist.

Raptors, knights, pirates, .... etc.  They all existed.

Kraken's... not so much.   :) 

On 7/29/2020 at 8:16 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Now we just got to move an Eastern Conference team back to Quebec...

The Panthers would be the ideal choice to move. Then you have Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, and Quebec City in the SAME division.  :) 

2 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Is this the first time a top level sports franchise has been named after an animal that doesn't exist (and has never existed)?   :thinking:

Avalanche have Bigfoot as a secondary logo,  And then there also the  NJ Devils...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Probably.
But then again, think of all the "drinking angles" they could market as well...
rum.jpg.640bf34a1752fff8f9ecc8ceafce2f03.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

@hf101 is right, the New Jersey Devils.

Even if you believe the Devil exists (and thus it wouldn't be an animal), the NJ Devils is not named for the devil itself, but after a fearsome critter/cryptid animal/legend from New Jersey state and region.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, extra skater said:

@hf101 is right, the New Jersey Devils.

Even if you believe the Devil exists (and thus it wouldn't be an animal), the NJ Devils is not named for the devil itself, but after a fearsome critter/cryptid animal/legend from New Jersey state and region.

I totally forgot about the NJ Devils for some reason.  😐 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I totally forgot about the NJ Devils for some reason.  😐 

Probably because we all automatically associate them with the Christian Devil. Also their colors and logo strengthens this association.

• Like 1

Logo: A

Nice job. Simple but not simplistic, big thumps up with the alternate logo with the Space Needle on top of it. I love when logos are straight with different references embedded. However, if they suck, I see coming from Japan the nickname "Seattle Anchors"

Color Scheme: B-

At least it's not the usual Red/Blue/White combo but I was hoping a bit more boldness than just stealing borrowing Titans' colors. The thin red trim matches good with the different shades of blue (unlike the Wild's forest green). 

Name: F----

Kraken... Seriously ?