Release The Seatle Kraken

fan4ever

I have to admit that logo is pretty bad-ass.

The hype video where the tentacle creates the S is super creative.

Great color scheme too.

Too bad the name is dumb as hell.

Props to the design team that is some good looking work. 

• Like 1

OK I've thought about it for at least thirty seconds. Kraken was, out of the list of names, one of my preferred ones, mainly because there weren't that many good options. I'm surprised they went for it though, given how many arguments potential names caused I was half expecting them to go for a lazy 'corporate think tank' type name like Force, Storm, or Adrenaline (my city's team name which I think sucks). 

In terms of the colours they were in a difficult position. From a branding perspective they needed the dominant colour to be unique, however all the likely candidates were taken and with a marine theme of limited their options further (no purple, which from comments elsewhere in this forum seems to be an unpopular colour - I like it). They could have gone with aqua, though I guess they wanted something dark to reflect the whole 'depths of the ocean' thing. As I mentioned above it looks like a darker shade of blue than used by the other teams (though I stand by my general opinion there are too many blue and red teams out there, especially since they use the same shade) which will separate them from the pack a little. Until one of the other blue teams decides to copy them. 

The jersey design looks really good. The logo suits well on the jersey and the two bands of lighter blue break up the mass of dark blue as well as complement the logo as they were consistent with the shades used. I was hoping for more red but its light use as trim is very effective. 

The only thing I dislike are those anchors on the shoulders. They seem unnecessary and it looks like they were added because they felt an obligation to have patches on the shoulders

29 minutes ago, Keep Your Stick on the Ice said:

You know the more I think about this...its not the worst but I don't believe its the best.

Which is your favorite? 

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

So I was going to start a new Seatle Kraken forum, but it looks like the NHL will need to revamp the divisions soon.  lol

I was under the impression seattle will be pacific and Arizona would be moved to Central

• Like 1

Seattle Kraken.
I am actually fine with that.
I was voting for that name on threads elsewhere.

We've got enough big cats, birds, fish types, equidae and ursids throughout sports world.......but not a whole lot of cephalopods, so that is unique.
Color scheme, I thought they would work in some brown or tan, but admittedly, that would make it hard to sell sweaters, as brown isn't terribly popular in that regard.

Color scheme is fine. As others mentioned, hard to come up with something unique given the amount of teams in the league and that there are just so many colors to go around.

I still won't be giving much of a damn with the half baked "playoffs" coming up, but glad to finally have Seattle officially in the NHL fold.....it is a remnant of what I was considering "normal" in the hockey, nay....SPORTS, world.
Nothing is normal anymore.

Now...if they can only get Liam Neeson as the PA announcer introducing the team as they take the ice....  :)