Babcock to Vermont

Brewin Flames

Mike Babcock joins Vermont coaching staff as volunteer advisor

Mike Babcock has a new job and he’s heading to the college hockey world.

The University of Vermont men’s team announced that Babcock will join as a volunteer advisor to head coach Todd Woodcroft.

“Mike and I have been connected for over 15 years and our network goes back even further to our McGill University experience,” Woodcroft said.

“He is a premier coach across any athletic platform and as a coaching staff we are very fortunate to be able to draw from his experiences. Mike’s knowledge, his network and above all else, the modern lens he uses to look at the game of hockey will help accelerate the progression of our entire program.”

Woodcroft was Canada’s video coach at the 2004 World Championship where Babcock was head coach.

Babcock, who has coached 1,301 NHL games with three teams, was last behind a bench with the Maple Leafs before being fired in November. His trophy case includes a Stanley Cup and two Olympic gold medals, among other titles.

Weeks after his dismissal, allegations of mental abuse were levied against Babcock regarding an incident with Mitch Marner when he was a rookie.

Maple Leafs president Brendan Shanahan said the actions were not “appropriate or acceptable.”

The head coach would respond telling Sportsnet, “I was trying to focus on work ethic with Mitch — focusing on role models — ended up not being a good idea. I apologized at (the) time.”

On 7/30/2020 at 6:53 AM, yave1964 said:

He will be back, one hell of a coach whose stock is pretty low right now but he deserves another shot.

I agree. However, he's got to learn to respect players and appropriately treat them with respect otherwise he ain't getting another shot .

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

IMO, I wouldn't want him around college kids if he treated pros the way he did in Toronto and elsewhere.  Vermont is not exactly a top tier program, but I'd find it hard to believe he'll turn things around there.  It might help them recruit a little bit better, but they'll always be second or third fiddle compared to Boston College, Boston University and Providence in Hockey East.  

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 8/20/2020 at 9:49 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

IMO, I wouldn't want him around college kids if he treated pros the way he did in Toronto and elsewhere.  Vermont is not exactly a top tier program, but I'd find it hard to believe he'll turn things around there.  It might help them recruit a little bit better, but they'll always be second or third fiddle compared to Boston College, Boston University and Providence in Hockey East.  

Totally agree.