Rangers year in review

yave1964

Jumping back in as teams get eliminated.....

PRESEASON EXPECTATIONS Very high. Trouba came aboard to aid the back end, the big name of the offseason the Bread man signed to provide offense Shesterkin was laying in the weeds to step in if Lundqvist dropped his crown. Alll signs pointed toward the rangers turning it around.

FINAL RECORD 37-33-5 79 points made the qualifying round, swept in three straight by the Canes.

HIGH POINT OF THE SEASON the Rangers stumbled along at or near .500 and shortly after the first of the year they recalled Shesterkin and put him in net, at least partially. They alternated between Lundqvist, Georgiev and Shesterkin for over a month until finally more or less handing the reins to the kid. I submit the high point was February, 19,21, and 22nd three games in four days, all started by Shesterkin and all won by him beating the Hawks, Canes and Sharks establishing the net was his. When they won a game started by Georgiev a few days later they sat at 35-24-4 and looked like a solid playoff contender.

LOW POINT OF THE YEAR take your pick, either the limping down the stretch going 2-9-1 from that point on to finish 7th in the division. The other option would be the playoffs which they stumbled into, they looked disoriented and lost as they dropped three straight without a fight.

WHAT WENT RIGHT Shesterkin came along a couple of months into the season which ended early but still had his name in Calder trophy consideration. Panarin wasnt as good as hoped for, he was better putting up 32 goals and an insane 95 points in 69 games. Zibanejad is a true number one center, he hits, hge scores he wins faceoffs, he playss all situations and has turned into a star. Tony DeAngelo was a force on the back end rookie Adam fox looks like a future star, Trouba was solid and the defense was very solid. Kreider netted 24 goals, Lemieux was a super pest like his dad and contributed 12 goals from the bottom six. Lindgren very quietly contributed 13 goals from the back end. Fast and Chytil showed signs of upside. Ryan Strome finally looks like he is living up to his early billing.

WHAT WENT WRONG Kakko looked lost as many teenagers do, he scored 10 goals but was a team worst (by far) minus 26 and late in the year was down to bottom minutes. Lundqvist is done, stick a fork in him and move on. the king is dead. I like Georgiev, i really do but he was bad more than he was good. Veteran Marc Staal simply cannot keep up on defense anymore. Brendan smith signed to a four year deal continues to steal his paycheck. Namestikov missed almost the entire year. Lias anderson looks like a first round bust. He only played 11 games with zero goals and one assist and a minus 6 before being banished to Hartford.

FREE AGENTS Jesper Fast and valuable 4C McKegg are both UFAs and both would be welcome back with open arms but lets be honest, they are both spare parts. 

OFFSEASON QUESTION MARKS Can you find a taker for Lundqvist? With one more year at 8.5 million he has zero trade value,  the Rangers have accumulated picks and prospects and will have to give up something along with the King and retain salary to move him. The Rangers seem to always have extra picks lately, this year they have two in the first and two in the third. Zibenajad has two years remaining on a very reasonable deal based off of his production talks are ongoing to extend him. Kakko was pretty bad last year but his teammates raved about his work ethic saying he is a superstar in the making. Will he make the jump next year?

A lot to build on here.

43 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Can you find a taker for Lundqvist? With one more year at 8.5 million he has zero trade value,

I'm actually having a similar debate with @OccamsRazor and the Predators with regards to Rinne.  I'm not trying to highjack the thread with regards to Lundqvist and comparing to Rinne.  However, when you review the Preds, you will find a similar question.  Rinne is in decline and is 35+ and has a 5 million dollar contract for 1 more year.  

Agree the King is dead in NY.  Time to move on, but how?  Let Georgiev walk, keep the King as a mentor to Shester?  Then at the end of next season sign a FA to back-up Shester.  Then you have to factor in the Seattle expansion draft in the summer of 2021.    Also another BIG/HUGE factor is how many games will the NHL have next year.  If a short season then roll the dice in keeping  the King?  I dunno? The Ranges have a BIG decision here.....Sherster is you #1 BUT who is back-up?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I'm actually having a similar debate with @OccamsRazor and the Predators with regards to Rinne.  I'm not trying to highjack the thread with regards to Lundqvist and comparing to Rinne.  However, when you review the Preds, you will find a similar question.  Rinne is in decline and is 35+ and has a 5 million dollar contract for 1 more year.  

Agree the King is dead in NY.  Time to move on, but how?  Let Georgiev walk, keep the King as a mentor to Shester?  Then at the end of next season sign a FA to back-up Shester.  Then you have to factor in the Seattle expansion draft in the summer of 2021.    Also another BIG/HUGE factor is how many games will the NHL have next year.  If a short season then roll the dice in keeping  the King?  I dunno? The Ranges have a BIG decision here.....Sherster is you #1 BUT who is back-up?

Holtby is an UFA likely the Capitals due to cap issues allow him to go, I would not be surprised if Rinne winds up with the Capitals if the Predators eat salary.  Truthfully that is where i think he winds up at 3 million for the year with the Preds eating the rest. It makes sense on a lot of levels with Rinne teaming with young Samsonov.

As for Lundqvist, i have said it a lot that i think he is Detroit bound, the Swedish connection and all that, the Wings have the cap space and a desperate need for a short term goalie, if the Wings can add an asset for taking Lundqvist off their hands, it might be a decent short term fit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Holtby is an UFA likely the Capitals due to cap issues allow him to go, I would not be surprised if Rinne winds up with the Capitals if the Predators eat salary.  Truthfully that is where i think he winds up at 3 million for the year with the Preds eating the rest. It makes sense on a lot of levels with Rinne teaming with young Samsonov.

As for Lundqvist, i have said it a lot that i think he is Detroit bound, the Swedish connection and all that, the Wings have the cap space and a desperate need for a short term goalie, if the Wings can add an asset for taking Lundqvist off their hands, it might be a decent short term fit.

So ...

1) "IF" the Preds trade Rinne to the Caps what is that telling the Cap fans?  Samsonov is not ready yet? or is Samsonov your #1 and Rinne now becomes backup?   I would think the latter and yes that would make sense.  Rinne would be a cheaper back-up than Holtby.  I think that is what you mean and I am just misreading your post/intent.

2) I could see Lundqvist going to Detroit "IF" they had a prospect in the farm.  You know the Red Wings better than I do. Do they have a legitimate goalie down in the minors somewhere?  Not arguing that Lundqvist is >>>>> than Howard/Bernier combined, but how long are you thinking stop gap? 2 more years?  

then if the above happens Shester is the clear starter and Georgiev is your back-up.

We can discuss the Preds goalie situation when your review the Preds, but then if Rinne goes to the Caps, that elevates Saros to starter then the Preds need a back-up or do the Preds go after the likes of a Markstrom if Vancouver is willing to move on with Demko in wings.  

A lot of moving pieces and a VERY SHORT off season this year shall make it interesting.

• Like 1

@OccamsRazor and @pilldoc Here are the relevant free agent goalies at seasons end

Lehner

Holtby

Markstrom

All three will demand serious attention

others include

Craig Anderson

Jimmy Howard

Cory Crawford

Greiss

Mike Smith

All are aging, all are flawed.

Teams in need of a goalie include

Detroit

Ottawa

Vancouver (if they lose Markstrom)

Washington (if they need Holtby)

Chicago

Calgary (arguably)

Minnesota

Carolina (arguably)

I didnt list San jose as in need of a goalie although they desperatly need help but Jones has a poison pill contract and they wont be able to do much there.

So Rinne and Lundqvist.

IMHO they fall right below Lehner, Holtby and Markstrom and above the others. I think the free agents go like this, Markstrom back to Vancouver, Lehner to Chicago and Holtby to, dont laugh, Ottawa who is a solid goalie away from being somewhat competitive. So yeah, Lundqvist to Detroit because, why not, and Rinne to Washington.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

IMHO they fall right below Lehner, Holtby and Markstrom and above the others. I think the free agents go like this, Markstrom back to Vancouver, Lehner to Chicago and Holtby to, dont laugh, Ottawa who is a solid goalie away from being somewhat competitive. So yeah, Lundqvist to Detroit because, why not, and Rinne to Washington.

Makes a lot of sense when you put it that way...my only concern and question mark would be Lehner.  As I mentioned to OR i the NASH/ARZ thread ...

I think Vegas will try to resign Lehner.  He will be cheaper than MAF in 2 years.  MAF only has 2 years left at which time he will be 37.  MAF is already starting to decline.  His SV% is dropping and his GAA is increasing.  Vegas does not really have anyone in the pipeline.  Therefore I don't see Lehner going to NSH as OR suggested or to Chicago.  Vegas IMO needs an experienced goalie unless they are will to go the FA route in 2 years.  Also they still need an experience netminder...unless you think there is a better cheaper option for the Knights.

Again...just my 2 cents here. 

• Like 1

@pilldoc

The Wings net is a gaping hole organizational wise. Nothing. zip. Nada. Lundqvist would be a one year fill in. He would allow the kids at other positions to mature with a veteran goalie in net.

Here is why i see him signing for one year, the following year the Wings are in great cap position, and after NEXT SEASON look at this insane list of UFA goalies

Rask

Binnington

Frederik Andersen

Raanta

Grubauer

Rittich

Mrazek

A wealth of goalies,  i think a lot of teams will position themselves to make a run at Andersen, Rask and Binnington. Look at that top seven, just insane depth of that free agent class. 

Just now, yave1964 said:

Here is why i see him signing for one year, the following year the Wings are in great cap position, and after NEXT SEASON look at this insane list of UFA goalies

Rask

Binnington

Frederik Andersen

Raanta

Grubauer

Rittich

Mrazek

A wealth of goalies,  i think a lot of teams will position themselves to make a run at Andersen, Rask and Binnington. Look at that top seven, just insane depth of that free agent class. 

Ahhh and there it is.... I failed to look beyond next year.  You certainly did your homework.  (A+) Now that makes perfect sense.  The only curveball I could potentially see is who protects whom in the the Seattle expansion draft. But yeah..that is an insane FA class.....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Vegas IMO needs an experienced goalie unless they are will to go the FA route in 2 years

I think you answered this question in your other post with regards to insane quality FA's available in 2 years.  Vegas could be a great place for the likes of one of those goalies......  Sign Lehner short term then go for broke in 2 years by cutting loose both Lehner and MAF.

OMG ...this could get very interesting ......

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Ahhh and there it is.... I failed to look beyond next year.  You certainly did your homework.  (A+) Now that makes perfect sense.  The only curveball I could potentially see is who protects whom in the the Seattle expansion draft. But yeah..that is an insane FA class.....

Yeah i kind of figured that with the expansion draft if Rinne is there for the final year of his deal Washington could let him go and protect Samsonov/Copley. If Lundqvist is in Detroit, they could let him go and say, Calgary decides to move on from Rittich or Colorado decides they cannot resign Grubauer the Wings with a lot of cap space (next offseason) could make an offer which the other team might take to keep from losing their goalie to the Kracken.

• Like 1

And i am hijacking my own thread about the Rangers, lol, talking Wings and Kracken and Rinne. But it all started with Lundqvist. He IMHO still has some value but is being forced out of the Apple by two kids who are cheaper, younger and both very talented.

Your argument for Vegas with MAF and Lehner is very valid but i think Lehner at this point wants to be a starter and will be a starter somewhere. 

• Like 1

Just now, yave1964 said:

And i am hijacking my own thread about the Rangers, lol, talking Wings and Kracken and Rinne. But it all started with Lundqvist. He IMHO still has some value but is being forced out of the Apple by two kids who are cheaper, younger and both very talented.

LOL ...believe it or not ....not really hikjacking because what happens with Lundqvist is a direct result of what happens with other goalie situations in and around the league.  So its hard to talk about what might happen to Lundqvist without talking about how other goalies might be moved around.  It really all intertwined .....

• Like 1