5 Takeways From the Minnesota Wild's 2019-20 Season Experience

CreaseAndAssist

19 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

5 Takeaways from the Minnesota Wild's 2019-20 Season Experience

I share some thoughts from the 2019-20 season and what I feel should be the direction moving forward with this team.  Enjoy and discuss!  

1. The Minnesota Wild desperately need to get younger and faster 

2. Kevin Fiala and Kirill Kaprizov need a top line quality center to work with

3. Its time to give Kaapo Kahkonen a shot 

4. Make a deal to move Zach Parise

5. The Wild should make either Marcus Foligno, Jared Spurgeon and Matt Dumba captain & / or alternate captains

I agree with you on every point.

Somehow I think/fear some of these points have been on for years and some will be on for years...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

5. The Wild should make either Marcus Foligno, Jared Spurgeon and Matt Dumba captain & / or alternate captains

Somehow I think/fear some of these points have been on for years and some will be on for years...

This is true.  I know I've written these things before, but it'd be nice if they actually addressed these things.  But at some point, we have to be nearing action on these issues.  

3 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

5 Takeaways from the Minnesota Wild's 2019-20 Season Experience

I share some thoughts from the 2019-20 season and what I feel should be the direction moving forward with this team.  Enjoy and discuss!  

Good article. But of your top five there, I think the only one the Wild realistically will address is #5. I think they’ll make Spurgeon the Captain. As far as the rest, #1 that’s been on them for years and the keep bringing in older and older free agents with longer and longer contracts. As far as #2, you can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which fills up first. #3 is also probably possible, but they’re going to have to move Dubnyk or buy him out. I don’t know about #4. It’s got to be awkward now that the alternate captain agreed to bail on the team last season. But I’d rather keep him here than let him go. Yes the Wild could use the cap space. But they would get hammered with the cap recapture penalty if he goes anywhere else and “retires”. At least if he suffers an injury here they can put him on LTIR. Or maybe the new CBA will allow a compliance buyout and they can use it on him. Hope springs eternal. 

Leipold chose to build around Koivu, Parise and Suter rather than the draft and the chickens have now come home to roost. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Foligno has a real drive and could be a candidate as a new Captain. Spurgeon could be an alternate captain. No Dumba in any positions. Some of his decisions during the game are unpredictable and weak including the last game. I would trade him for someone smarter who capable to put goals in a consistent manner out of our defense lines. I have seen him enough.

Maybe to give this Captain position to a youngster and will break our super old traditions? Maybe to give this position to Kaapo Kahkonen and to build the team around the talented goalie? Maybe the team will stand better in front of him?

11 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Good article. But of your top five there, I think the only one the Wild realistically will address is #5. I think they’ll make Spurgeon the Captain. As far as the rest, #1 that’s been on them for years and the keep bringing in older and older free agents with longer and longer contracts. As far as #2, you can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which fills up first. #3 is also probably possible, but they’re going to have to move Dubnyk or buy him out. I don’t know about #4. It’s got to be awkward now that the alternate captain agreed to bail on the team last season. But I’d rather keep him here than let him go. Yes the Wild could use the cap space. But they would get hammered with the cap recapture penalty if he goes anywhere else and “retires”. At least if he suffers an injury here they can put him on LTIR. Or maybe the new CBA will allow a compliance buyout and they can use it on him. Hope springs eternal. 

Leipold chose to build around Koivu, Parise and Suter rather than the draft and the chickens have now come home to roost. 

Realistically #5 is possible but so is #3 too IMO, if not even more likely of the two. Well, what exactly is a "shot"? Playing back-to-back games, playing over 30 games during the season? Kahkonen's shot to me seems like a smaller step to take than the issue of captaincy. Foligno would be my #1 choice over the likes of Suter, Staal, Parise but you never know with this organization.

9 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Foligno has a real drive and could be a candidate as a new Captain. Spurgeon could be an alternate captain. No Dumba in any positions. Some of his decisions during the game are unpredictable and weak including the last game. I would trade him for someone smarter who capable to put goals in a consistent manner out of our defense lines. I have seen him enough.

Maybe to give this Captain position to a youngster and will break our super old traditions? Maybe to give this position to Kaapo Kahkonen and to build the team around the talented goalie? Maybe the team will stand better in front of him?

One has to admire your creative thinking. It seems to have no boundaries. 🙂

But rules say goalies can't be captains. And a rookie as a captain, now that's a rare commodity! But otherwise I'm all for breaking super old traditions! 👍

1 hour ago, Hockey-78 said:

Realistically #5 is possible but so is #3 too IMO, if not even more likely of the two. Well, what exactly is a "shot"? Playing back-to-back games, playing over 30 games during the season? Kahkonen's shot to me seems like a smaller step to take than the issue of captaincy. Foligno would be my #1 choice over the likes of Suter, Staal, Parise but you never know with this organization.

I'd say he's at least playing 25-30 games in a backup role next season for the Minnesota Wild.  I think that would be a pretty decent audition.  

• Like 1

By the way, I'm not sure when you all read my article.  But if it was before Midnight-ish yesterday, I had made a few additions to it that you may have not seen.  The fundamental points have remained the same, but I had some more thoughts about a center for Fiala & Kaprizov.  

Nice top 5.
Just some thoughts...
Parise: Since the deal was almost made and the fact he waived the NMC, That sends a clear message by Zach that he doesn't think he'll see a cup here anytime soon. I can't see a full effort from him because of it.

Get a top Center: Time to trade Greenway and Dumba to possibly help this.
I've lost any hope of Greenway becoming anything dominant. He has so much of the criteria but hasn't shown it other than brief flashes.
How long can we wait on him?
Dumba, I bought into him when he bacame a scoring threat. Given the Defensive nature of our other D I could take that trade off.
Since the 'fight' he's pretty much returned to that liability status.

Keep Brodin: He's the most reliable D we have and has the speed you speak of and pure skating ability. 
He's the stabilizing factor now for our younger D as what Suter was supposed to be (and did) when he got here.

Goalies: Dubnyk should probably be bought out. I doubt trading will be possible.
I do like Stalock but I feel he's only good enough to tandem like we had with Fernandez/Roloson. 

Captain: Foligno is really the heart and leader of this team. Spurgeon and Suter as 'A's

• Like 1

I would agree with you on most of what you said.  I think its important to keep Brodin.  While he may not be a big point producer, but I think he is really important to the team's defense.  If Dumba is only going to launch slap shots, he's going to continue to see most of his shots blocked.  Greenway, you're 100% correct.  We only see flashes of the talent, but he just doesn't seem to want to dominate even though he appears to be capable of doing so.  Its sad.  I've heard people toss out NY Rangers as a landing spot for Greenway as he'd be reunited with his college coach.  The Rangers have lots of good young talent in their prospect pipeline.  Not sure we'd get their best prospect, but Matthew Robertson a big two-way defenseman would interest me a lot.  

• Like 1

My two cents: if we keep Foligno, he should definitely be captain. He's vocal and straightforward, and with lots of energy and motivation.

I'd also go for Barkov. He wants to win, get into the playoffs, and the Panthers seem to be going nowhere. He'll be a free agent soon, and the Panthers will want to get something for him. The owner Viola won't pay him enough and Barkov's not going to hang around underpaid, if the team is not going to the playoffs. I dont like acquiring players from teams accustomed to losing, but Barkov might be worth the risk. He also speaks Russian, as his parents come from Russia. That would perhaps make it easier for Kaprizov or other Russian prospects to adjust to the Wild.

• Thanks 1

What do you think it would take?  I am guessing one of our first rounders (likely for next year, as Pitt will not provide this year), one of Dumba or Brodin, and two of Greenway, Kunin, EEK, and maybe Donato (maybe one if it is our highest draft pick).  

56 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

My two cents: if we keep Foligno, he should definitely be captain. He's vocal and straightforward, and with lots of energy and motivation.

I'd also go for Barkov. He wants to win, get into the playoffs, and the Panthers seem to be going nowhere. He'll be a free agent soon, and the Panthers will want to get something for him. The owner Viola won't pay him enough and Barkov's not going to hang around underpaid, if the team is not going to the playoffs. I dont like acquiring players from teams accustomed to losing, but Barkov might be worth the risk. He also speaks Russian, as his parents come from Russia. That would perhaps make it easier for Kaprizov or other Russian prospects to adjust to the Wild.

I'd like Barkov, but I think Florida will hold onto him like grim death.  And at this point he's an RFA so Florida would have to be willing to part with him and if they do let him go they'll want a king's ransom.  

• Like 1

Viola has said he wants to lower the amount of money he pays to the Panthers. There's a trade possibility, but you are right. It would probably be quite a lot we would need to cough up. Basically Fiala is the only untouchable right now. If need be I'd even be ready to throw anything, including Brodin, to the wolves, though that would be very painful. A positive scenario would be Dumba as the major bait, together with prospects/picks/even some of our dead weight.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

I'd also go for Barkov. He wants to win, get into the playoffs, and the Wild seem to be going nowhere so why would he want to come here? He'll be a free agent soon, and the Panthers will want to get something for him. The owner Viola won't pay him enough and Barkov's not going to hang around underpaid, if the team is not going to the playoffs. I dont like acquiring players from teams accustomed to losing, but Barkov might be worth the risk. He also speaks Russian, as his parents come from Russia. That would perhaps make it easier for Kaprizov or other Russian prospects to adjust to the Wild.

Every team would welcome Barkov. A legitimate #1 center on a cheap contract. 

Modified your post, lynx...just a tad. 🙂 They have a two-time Vezina winner in goal, a three-time SC champion coach behind the bench, very talented players like Huberdeau, Ekblad and Hoffman supporting Barkov. Wild has nothing compared to those.

IF Barkov wants to move scenery, I'll be damned if he'd even consider moving to Minnesota. If he wants to go far in the playoffs, not just to collect his pay. 

Since he has the infamous NMC in his contract... so what the Wild could offer is pretty much a moot point.

12 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Viola has said he wants to lower the amount of money he pays to the Panthers. There's a trade possibility, but you are right. It would probably be quite a lot we would need to cough up. Basically Fiala is the only untouchable right now. If need be I'd even be ready to throw anything, including Brodin, to the wolves, though that would be very painful. A positive scenario would be Dumba as the major bait, together with prospects/picks/even some of our dead weight.

I'd offer them any defenseman they want.  But its singular, but if that's what it takes to make the deal I am not super sentimental about anyone on the blueline.  Even then, I'd be pretty resistant to dealing him based on his age, and the fact I think Florida is one or two players away from being pretty good unlike us.  Still, if we could get Barkov, that would be huge.  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist

4 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

Understandable decision. Probably, Mason insisted to Evason to use Stalock instead of Kahkonen these horrible for the team playoffs. Maybe the next one will be smarter in making the right decision which one goalie will be used and when.

1 minute ago, Alexandron said:

Understandable decision. Probably, Mason insisted to Evason to use Stalock instead of Kahkonen these horrible for the team playoffs. Maybe the next one will be smarter in making the right decision which one goalie will be used and when.

I don't think Mason would have done that. They went with Stalock because he performed well enough this season. He established himself as the starter and it would have been an insult to him to give the playoffs to a rookie, no matter how good he is. Besides, the Wild weren't going anywhere. Why risk affecting Kahkonen's confidence with that group playing in front of him. Let Kahkonen duke it out with Stalock at the start of the next season (whenever that is...)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

I don't think Mason would have done that. They went with Stalock because he performed well enough this season. He established himself as the starter and it would have been an insult to him to give the playoffs to a rookie, no matter how good he is. Besides, the Wild weren't going anywhere. Why risk affecting Kahkonen's confidence with that group playing in front of him. Let Kahkonen duke it out with Stalock at the start of the next season (whenever that is...)

That was my guess. Anyway decision was made and his 18 years of goalie coaching is over for the team.

Not sure exactly where Alexander Khovanov is in his development  but I wouldn't mind seeing him on a line with Fiala and Kaprizov. I know he'd probably need AHL time first and we'll have to wait as he's loaned to the Ak Bars Kazan of the KHL but still with Kaprizov here it might be interesting to see a line of Khovanov, Kaprizov and Fiala.

Edited by bbgarnett
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bbgarnett said:

Not sure exactly where Alexander Khovanov is in his development  but I wouldn't mind seeing him on a line with Fiala and Kaprizov. I know he'd probably need AHL time first and we'll have to wait as he's loaned to the Ak Bars Kazan of the KHL but still with Kaprizov here it might be interesting to see a line of Khovanov, Kaprizov and Fiala.

Agree. It would be nice to see him in that line.