Round 1: Flyers vs Canadiens Thread

pilldoc

With a solid win over the TB Lightening, the Flyers earn the #1 seed and will face the Montreal Canadiens in Round 1 of the NHL 2020 Playoffs.

The Flyers won two of three games against the Canadiens this season. Six players scored two points each for Philadelphia, including a goal and an assist each for Couturier, Farabee, Provorov, and Konecny. Hart allowed two goals on 22 shots in a 3-2 overtime win on Nov. 7; Elliott allowed three goals on 42 shots in a 4-3 overtime win on Nov. 30.

This will be the seventh playoff series between the teams; each has won three times, with Philadelphia winning the most recent, defeating Montreal in five games in the Eastern Conference Final in 2010.

Famous moments in Flyer-Canadiens Playoff history ....for those of us who are old enough to remember this...... ( I was a senior in High School)

Playoff Pre-game Brawl ..... a bench-clearing brawl between the Philadelphia Flyers and Montreal Canadiens that took place before their playoff game even began way back on May 14, 1987.

The brawl all started, apparently, because Claude Lemieux had this pregame ritual of shooting pucks into the opposing team's empty net to end warm ups and the Flyers had warned him not to do it. Being Claude Lemieux, he didn't listen and things escalated rather quickly. Add on the fact that there wasn't a referee in sight and these guys were going at it forever.

Read about it here .....  https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/the-fight-that-changed-hockey/article4184523/

and here ....  https://thefangrave.wordpress.com/2015/05/13/philadelphia-montreal-the-pregame-brawl-to-end-all-brawls-5-14-87/

Gotta love the organ player playing .."The Final Countdown"

GO FLYERS!!!

Here I found the video with Gene Hart (RIP)

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Ahhhh, the good ole days!

Yup..I remember watching that unfold as I was watching it live on TV and Gene Hart's humorous commentary. :)  Gotta love Dave Brown shirtless .......

Edited by pilldoc

4 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Hextall was so fierce

OMG ..Yes!  Remember when he chased down Chris Chelios!  Retaliation after Chelios destroyed Brian Propp....Damn ... I hated Chelios ever since....

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I'm sitting right here man, no need to point fingers

Im right next to you....pass me a beer

I watch this video from time to time, when Im on duty 

Your mind has to be in the right place

14 hours ago, pilldoc said:

GO FLYERS!!!

Here I found the video with Gene Hart (RIP)

literally one my favorite moments in team history!  I was 11 years old and sooo proud of them doing that!  Still am today!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pilldoc said:

OMG ..Yes!  Remember when he chased down Chris Chelios!  Retaliation after Chelios destroyed Brian Propp....Damn ... I hated Chelios ever since....

Brian Propp is on record saying he hated Chellios ever since too!  I don’t remember this moment as fondly as the first fight in 1987 as we were about to be eliminated.

1 hour ago, Poulin20 said:

Brian Propp is on record saying he hated Chellios ever since too!  I don’t remember this moment as fondly as the first fight in 1987 as we were about to be eliminated.

Propp was the radio color guy when the Flyers tried to trade for Chelios at the deadline. Detroit ended up getting him instead. Propp said he never would have forgiven the organization if they had acquired Chelios.

On 8/9/2020 at 10:38 AM, pilldoc said:

Yup..I remember watching that unfold as I was watching it live on TV and Gene Hart's humorous commentary. :)  Gotta love Dave Brown shirtless .......

I remember that series and loved every minute of it. I can't stand the Habs mainly because of the dumbass fans that come out of the woodworks when they play in the playoffs. I'm hoping the Flyers sweep the Habs or taken them out in 5. So their dumbass fans can go back into the woods.

• Like 2

Rooting Flyers.
They are one of the Covid Cup's biggest surprises looking mighty damned unstoppable so far.

While I don't quite think the Fly are as good (yet) as they have shown in these half baked playoffs, I still like them as a team on the rise, and I do believe Carter Hart is the real deal.

Contrast this with the Montreal Canadiens who were rightly out of the playoff picture when all this mess started, and I gotta say the series is the Flyers' to lose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Rooting Flyers.
They are one of the Covid Cup's biggest surprises looking mighty damned unstoppable so far.

While I don't quite think the Fly are as good (yet) as they have shown in these half baked playoffs, I still like them as a team on the rise, and I do believe Carter Hart is the real deal.

Contrast this with the Montreal Canadiens who were rightly out of the playoff picture when all this mess started, and I gotta say the series is the Flyers' to lose.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Game Day!

What's everybody drinking? 

I'm heading with Podein25 Jr. to the newly opened tap room of local craft beer geniuses Kilter Brewing to sample one of these bad boys:

"Secret Promise" Double IPA

Do you know if they export it out of MB and if it's possible to find it elsewhere in Canada ?

Just now, Villette/Lavaux said:

Do you know if they export it out of MB and if it's possible to find it elsewhere in Canada ?

I do not. But I doubt it. They are constantly sold out of both beer and merch. Very popular locally, so I'm thinking they don't really have much in the way of excess supply for export. Eventually maybe.

4 hours ago, Podein25 said:

What's everybody drinking? 

Didn't realize we had two threads going i answered in the other one....so i will answer again here...

Going to let the beard grow this year for as long as they play into the playoffs. First time i have ever tried this.

Going to be testy having a beard in this heat but i will endure nonetheless. Go Flyers!!!!

Going to cook two slabs of ribs (only about 30 minutes of smoke in them) tonight and got my hands on a price bottle of bourbon for tonight. Angel's envy.

tawny_bottle_angle_314x784.png

Never had it before a friend of mine who has his own liquor store got me a bottle. Never had it before but look forward to it.

Enjoy!!! 

T.T.B.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Didn't realize we had two threads going

Given the state of the world, we really only need one thread for the whole site: what are you drinking?

Or, better: what are you *not* drinking?

• Haha 1