RD 1: Eastern Conference: #1 Philadelphia Flyers vs. #8 Montreal Canadiens

pilldoc

RD 1: Eastern Conference: #1 Philadelphia Flyers vs. #8 Montreal Canadiens  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the series?

• Flyers sweep
    • Flyers in 5
    • Flyers in 6 (Philadelphia wins series)
    • Flyers in 7
    • Canadiens sweep
    • Canadiens in 5
    • Canadiens in 6
    • Canadiens in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, Digityman said:

NAK had a great round robin but I think it's wayyyyy to early to be putting him on the first line. 

I don't he has been one of the best forwards on the team for awhile now and has been playing with a bunch of 3rd and 4th liners.

He is the 2nd best forward on the team 5 on 5 only to Coots.

He is one of the most physical forwards on the team. He is strong on the puck and even stronger trying to seperate the puck from the opposition and get it back. So why would you wait longer??

Putting Jake on the 3rd will spread the talent out...and maybe help jump start the guys we are trying to get going.

And if it doesn't work then he can return to the 3rd line. I think he could help Giroux and Coots greatly. @AJgoal suggested it too.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Hell 5 of the top 6 guys you have below haven't even scored a goal yet.

Giroux - Couturier - Voracek

Laughton - Hayes - Konecny

Farabee - Grant - NAK

JVR - Thompson - Pitlick

Laughton is the leading goal scorer followed by NAK. We need to get the top line going and NAK might be able to do it he drives the play on every line he has been on why wouldn't you welcome him to get Giroux and Coots going???

3 hours ago, Digityman said:

Give JVR PP time and if he starts scoring again some day, try pushing him up the lines as warranted. 

I don't see him bumping Laughton off the 2nd line since that line has played so well and well we know Giroux plays the top line so there is no where for JVR can go except down which is bound to happen...with his play unless of course he gets on fire and then well we can revisit this...but he will more than likely stay on the 3rd line.

• Like 1

It is very critical for the Flyers to get their power play on track. I think they went 0-11 during the RR and that is atrocious.

It must be fixed they have to find a way to help take pressure off the other aspects of the game more importantly their young goalie.

Giving him a cushion to work with will help a lot and more importantly they need to make Montreal pay for their liberties they will be taking.

They still have a few X- Flyers i think Weise and Weal....not sure if they will play i think Dale is on their 4th line.

Either way i do not want them to come in and over look this opponent. Take it serious and get the win. Should be entertaining.

Nick Suzuki is their #1 center....really???

Shows you how i have been paying attention to them...didn't realize Cousins was with the Knights now.

21 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Jake game time decision on Wednesday, skated today.

From reports folks who seen him go off the ice the other day right after the win saw him moving his shoulder around like it was injured then the next game he was outs so now sure if its accurate but i would really like for him to not be selfish and if he isn't 100% then stay out of the lineup.

Otherwise i think i go with exact last lineup except maybe put NAK on the top line to start see how it looks.

I think he helps get Giroux and Coots finding the net. My 2 cents on it. Plus the top line could use another physical presence.

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 62 Nic Aube-Kubel
21 Scott Laughton - 13 Kevin Hayes - 11 Travis Konecny
25 James van Riemsdyk - 38 Derek Grant - 49 Joel Farabee
82 Connor Bunnaman - 44 Nate Thompson - 18 Tyler Pitlick

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim - 5 Phil Myers
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 61 Justin Braun

79 Carter Hart
37 Brian Elliott

I wonder if AV try to match Coots line up vs Suzuki line or the Kotkaniemi line i think the latter center is more dangerous.

1 hour ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

Goalies: :canadiens:

Defense: :flyers:

Offense: :flyers:

Special teams (PP/PK): :flyers:

Coaching: :flyers:

Mental: :flyers:

Experience: :flyers:

Robustness: :flyers:

Depth: :flyers:

I would slightly disagree here. I get that based on experience, yes, Price has WAY more experience in the playoffs than Hart.  However, looking at the number THIS year, Hart is having the better year.

Rk Name Team Age GP GAA SV% W L SO
1 Carey Price MTL 32 58 2.79 0.909 27 25 4
16 Carter Hart PHI 21 43 2.42 0.914 24 13 1
41 Brian Elliott PHI 34 31 2.87 0.9 16 7 2
68 Charlie Lindgren MTL 26 6 3.33 0.888 2 4 0
69 Keith Kinkaid MTL 30 6 4.24 0.875 1 1 0
76 Alex Lyon PHI 27 3 3.55 0.89 1 1 0
78 Cayden Primeau MTL 20 2 2.52 0.931 1 1 0

Hart has a better GAA and SV%.  He does have 3 less wins than Price but in 15 fewer games than what Price has played.  To be fair Price has slight better GAA and SV% to Elliot but Elliot is considered the back-up.  MTL backups from a STAT perspective are hideous.

I would take the Flyers goalie tandem over the Habs goalies any day of the week.   

From a historical perspective, yes, Price has more playoff experience.

EDIT: In addition to the above STATS, lets look at Quality Starts (QS) and Quality Start % (QS%)

Price had 58 Starts, 31 QS for a 0.534% QS%

Hart had 40 Starts, 25 QS for a 0.625 QS%

Elliot had  27 Starts, 14 QS for a 0.519 QS%

MTL Back-ups had 13 Starts and only 3 QS.

Total: MTL goalies 71 Starts = 34 QS

Total: PHI goalies (Hart/Elliot) 67 Starts, 39 QS

Again strictly from a Statistical POV, ...the Flyers have the edge in net.

Edited by pilldoc

@pilldoc

It's because I had to put a Habs logo somewhere 😉

For the rest you're totally right, numbers don't lie. As of today, Philly is a step ahead in overall goaltending. Price is one of the most overrated goalie in the league IMO, but I've seen him steal games so often, that's this aspect I wanted to highlight.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 6:41 AM, Digityman said:

NAK had a great round robin but I think it's wayyyyy to early to be putting him on the first line

are you saying he is just a glorified 4th liner ?!

🐻 80 Best Bear Meme - Meme Central

On 8/10/2020 at 10:02 AM, OccamsRazor said:

I don't he has been one of the best forwards on the team for awhile now and has been playing with a bunch of 3rd and 4th liners.

He is the 2nd best forward on the team 5 on 5 only to Coots.

He is one of the most physical forwards on the team. He is strong on the puck and even stronger trying to seperate the puck from the opposition and get it back. So why would you wait longer??

Putting Jake on the 3rd will spread the talent out...and maybe help jump start the guys we are trying to get going.

And if it doesn't work then he can return to the 3rd line. I think he could help Giroux and Coots greatly. @AJgoal suggested it too.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Hell 5 of the top 6 guys you have below haven't even scored a goal yet.

Giroux - Couturier - Voracek

Laughton - Hayes - Konecny

Farabee - Grant - NAK

JVR - Thompson - Pitlick

Laughton is the leading goal scorer followed by NAK. We need to get the top line going and NAK might be able to do it he drives the play on every line he has been on why wouldn't you welcome him to get Giroux and Coots going???

I don't see him bumping Laughton off the 2nd line since that line has played so well and well we know Giroux plays the top line so there is no where for JVR can go except down which is bound to happen...with his play unless of course he gets on fire and then well we can revisit this...but he will more than likely stay on the 3rd line.

:beer:NAK kool-Aid

I am totally pumped about what is happening. I love what this team is doing, and I give all the credit to AV. I support all opinions in this thread, even OR's man crush on Nick-NAK. I just worry that we might be getting ahead off ourselves a bit, putting this much faith in unproven commodities. I would much rather have an 80% Voracek over a 100% Bunnaman. If the big guns dont get rolling, and the PP clicking, Im not sure the Flyers can sustain this level of play

that said, the goalie has enough Hart for the entire team, and that defense is stifling

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

From your comments last game looks like you've been sippin some...it's all good enjoy....i told ya so. Drink up! plenty to go round.

trust the bourbon............

and the Nick-NAK kool aid

• Good Post 1

On 8/10/2020 at 11:32 AM, Villette/Lavaux said:

Philly in 6, Price will steal at least two games all by himself.

Flyers in 5. We finally have a goalie in Carter Hart,who can also steal two games on his own. He shouldn't have to, though.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Flyers in 5. We finally have a goalie in Carter Hart,who can also steal two games on his own. He shouldn't have to, though.

Yeah, but he will have to sit at least one so Elliott doesnt get rusty

:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CoachX said:

are you saying he is just a glorified 4th liner ?!

I'm saying he's a younger version of Raffl.   He can play up and down the lineup in a pinch, good along the boards, decent hands, decent speed and can score - usually in bunches - but if you have him as your first line winger for too long, you'll start to see why he cleared waivers just 11 months ago.

I'm glad he's playing well and I hope it continues for 4 rounds but let's not pencil him in as the savior just yet.

• Like 3

Going to let the beard grow this year for as long as they play into the playoffs. First time i have ever tried this.

Going to be testy having a beard in this heat but i will endure nonetheless. Go Flyers!!!!

Going to cook two slabs of ribs (only about 30 minutes of smoke in them) tonight and got my hands on a price bottle of bourbon for tonight. Angel's envy.

tawny_bottle_angle_314x784.png

Never had it before a friend of mine who has his own liquor store got me a bottle. Never had it before but look forward to it.

Enjoy!!! 

T.T.B.