RD 1: Eastern Conference: #1 Philadelphia Flyers vs. #8 Montreal Canadiens

pilldoc

RD 1: Eastern Conference: #1 Philadelphia Flyers vs. #8 Montreal Canadiens  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the series?

• Flyers sweep
    • Flyers in 5
    • Flyers in 6 (Philadelphia wins series)
    • Flyers in 7
    • Canadiens sweep
    • Canadiens in 5
    • Canadiens in 6
    • Canadiens in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

Postgame 5: Halfway There

Flyers edge Habs, 1-0, to take series lead

by Bill Meltzer @BillMeltzer
 August 16, 2020
cut.jpg

HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED

The Flyers took a two games to one lead over the Montreal Canadiens in their First Round series as they made a skinny 1-0 lead hold up the rest of the way at Scotiabank Arena on Sunday night. The game was filled with special teams play, but neither team got anything going on the power play. The Flyers went 0-for-6 on the power play, while Montreal went 0-for-3.

Overall, it was a tight-checking and physical game but neither team was as clean with the puck as they needed to be. Jakub Voracek scored a deflection goal at 5:21 of the first period, assisted by Claude Giroux and Robert Hägg.

Carter Hart recorded the first playoff shutout of his NHL career, stopping 23 shots. Carey Price denied 19 of 20 Flyers shots.

cut.jpg

Recap: PHI 1, MTL 0

• 05:03 • August 16th, 2020

TURNING POINT

On what looked like a set play off the faceoff, Voracek got himself to the net. Giroux threw the puck hard at the net from the left side and Voracek got a hippity-hop deflection goal. It wasn't pretty, but it loomed huge on this night.

MELTZER'S TAKE

* Getting traffic at the net contributed to the Flyers first scoring chance and, shortly, thereafter, created their first goal. Later, a four-minute power play by the Flyers accomplished very little but Travis Konecny drew iron on a shot through traffic and Voracek made a nice power move to the net in the latter part of the power play. A subsequent power play produced better possession and puck movement but no goal.

* Hart made the game's first tough save, denying Brett Kulak joining the rush. Later, Jesperi Kotkaniemi and Kulak hit the post with the same shift. Later, the Kotaniemi line hemmed in the Thompson line. Overall, though, the Flyers played much better defense in the opening period than they did in any period of Game 2.

* The second period was a physical, grinding frame with both teams generally playing solid defense. The Flyers' penalty kill stepped up in this stanza while the power play continued to struggle. Two uncharacteristic terrible giveaways by Scott Laughton -- one to Brendan Gallager in the slot after a backhanded flip from behind the net, the second to Jonathan Drouin right over the middle in the defensive zone -- were erased by Hart. Travis Sanheim had a strong period from the back end, on both sides of the puck. The Flyers did a good job at finishing checks.

* The Canadiens kept on taking stick penalties in the third period, and the Flyers continued to scuffle to generate any pressure. Hart came up with some big saves, including one on a shorthanded counterattack by Lehkonen. 

* After a couple of icings by the Flyers, Hart denied Kotkaniemi point blank after he broke through the Flyers defense. Philly was able to hold on. Third period shots were 10-6 Montreal; hardly the sort of closeout the Flyers had in Game 1 but good enough on this night.

STATISTICALLY SPEAKING

* Carter Hart earned his first career playoff shutout and becomes the youngest goaltender in Flyers history to record a playoff shutout at 22 years and 3 days.

* Tonight was the first 1-0 playoff victory for the Flyers since Game 4 of the 2003 Eastern Conference Semifinals vs. Ottawa (May 1, 2003).

* Robert Hagg returned to the lineup tonight for his first action of the series. He recorded an assist for his first career playoff point and was a +1 on 12:54 of ice time.

* The Flyers blocked 24 shots compared to the Canadiens 10 blocked shots... Matt Niskanen led the way with six blocks.

* Jakub Voracek led the team in shots (4) and recorded his third career playoff game-winning goal - his others were 4/11/12 at PIT and 4/25/14 vs NYR.

cut.jpg

Hart makes Flyers history in win

• 03:15 • August 16th, 2020
    •  

19 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

3-1 boys...the fat lady is warmin up her pipes.

I will say it isn't pretty but i like the adjustments AV has made such a relief over Hakstol. Sometimes it isn't pretty and there isn't no highlight reel goals but as long as they get that Dub at the end it's all good.

I am proud that they have sat JVR and they have everyone grinding like a team...there is no time for passengers!

And Hart what can i say that hasn't been said...it is finally nice for once in my Flyer life time to have great goaltending instead only have to go up against it. I can get use to this feeling.

Let's get this series over tonight and get some practice time in with some rest!

On 8/15/2020 at 6:49 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah because the 5-0 beat down wasn't enough motivation....SMFH.

Hey, whatever works to piss this Flyers team off. They should have been already been after getting drubbed 5-0, but if that's added motivation, then fine.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Hey, whatever works to piss this Flyers team off. They should have been already been after getting drubbed 5-0, but if that's added motivation, then fine.

Well if anything it forced them to change their playing style they had i think had in their mind vs the Bruins, Caps and Bolts.

Montreal was/is just a different beast in how they play and find a way to win - it took AV afew games to get this an adjust.

And we are seeing that is seems as i said it's isn't glamorous but as long as it produces results i will shut up and watch.

Ok maybe that is pushing it i will NOT shut up and i will still talk smack about the big guns not playing like big guns and maybe they will eventually show...

• Like 1

Finally going to watch a game in this series start to finish.

A Flyer win, aside from making about half this forum giddy, will send the Bruins to face the Lightning.
A Habs win will extend the series and give Montreal a chance to win in an anything-can-happen Game 7, where, if they win that, would send them to the Lightning.

Judging by highlights and some of the commentary on this series here, looks like the series has been entertaining.
I will be expecting that tonight.

As I said before the series started, its STILL the Flyers' series to lose.
Habs are playing with house money, however, and that does seem to make them dangerous.

6 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

As I said before the series started, its STILL the Flyers' series to lose.

I'm afraid if they don't get their big guns scoring they very well could lose.

Giroux, Coots, Hayes and Konecny are all looking for their first goals of the tournament....

...no not just this series...since the whole damn thing has started...JVR too but hell he has been scratched the last two games so no way he can score.

I mean don't get me wrong it's nice to have secondary score and depth guys chipping in and all but this is crazy if they don't come around even if they make it out the first round they won't make it out the 2nd round relying on goaltending and depth scoring.

It would be nice if their Captain could show up and lead the way...rally the troops but he has looked like he wish he had followed Rask out the bubble home to his family....he just looks like he isn't into this playoff run...never seen Giroux so complacent as a Flyer.

I'm at a loss for words for it almost. Have we seen the best of Giorux??? Is he nothing more than a 3rd line role player??

Will he show us he does still care?? I hope so...more questions than answers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm afraid if they don't get their big guns scoring they very well could lose.

Giroux, Coots, Hayes and Konecny are all looking for their first goals of the tournament....

...no not just this series...since the whole damn thing has started...JVR too but hell he has been scratched the last two games so no way he can score.

I mean don't get me wrong it's nice to have secondary score and depth guys chipping in and all but this is crazy if they don't come around even if they make it out the first round they won't make it out the 2nd round relying on goaltending and depth scoring.

It would be nice if their Captain could show up and lead the way...rally the troops but he has looked like he wish he had followed Rask out the bubble home to his family....he just looks like he isn't into this playoff run...never seen Giroux so complacent as a Flyer.

I'm at a loss for words for it almost. Have we seen the best of Giorux??? Is he nothing more than a 3rd line role player??

Will he show us he does still care?? I hope so...more questions than answers.

Well, hopefully, the Flyers won't do a complete collapse and just win this...whether tonight or in Game 7.

I mean, I have been pretty critical of this whole 're-start' and half baked playoffs to begin with...what with allowing teams that were out to participate.

But, at least I can say, that so far, the teams that have won and moved on are the ones who probably SHOULD be there.
Boston, Tampa Bay, Las Vegas, Dallas, Colorado, and yes, even the NYI, even though Washington should have also moved on, the Isles are no slouches.

So thinking in those terms, the Canadiens seem to be the only team NOT in the playoff picture before that is still hanging around, while the Flyers were battling for the top of the Atlantic Division.
Therefore, Philly MUST eliminate Montreal in order to set things to normal in the playoffs.....well, about as 'normal' as these playoffs can be anyways.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1

Oh boy....Flyers defensemen not doing a good job of tracking their coverage guys.
Habs got guys loose in front of Hart and almost tied things up.

I question Montreal's presence in these playoffs, but they still do have some fast skilled forwards and the Flyer D simply cannot afford to let them run around their defensive zone like that.

There is it...
2-0 lead.

Habs will have their work cut out for them. The goal was even strength, but was helped along by Philly having the PP just prior.

Also, Ghost needs to make better decisions on how to handle the puck while on the PP.
He tried taking on two Habs defenders instead of using his teammates help and got the puck taken from him and zone cleared for his trouble.

Still though, Philly fans, ya gotta feel good about the early lead. If team continues to play with this intensity, Montreal may not recover.

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Can ONE...just one Philadelphia Flyer play with the fire that baby-faced Suzuki plays with?

Heh...maybe not....
But still...as long as Philly plays like a skilled overall unit, they can overcome Suzuki as he may not have the same support on his side, despite HIS spectacular play.

I gotta say...this edition of the Canadiens is quite a bit more physical than ones I've seen in the past.
Flyers could use this to their advantage by driving the net and causing Montreal and their aggressive checkers to take more penalties to stop rushes and transitions.

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Heh...maybe not....
But still...as long as Philly plays like a skilled overall unit, they can overcome Suzuki as he may not have the same support on his side, despite HIS spectacular play.

I gotta say...this edition of the Canadiens is quite a bit more physical than ones I've seen in the past.
Flyers could use this to their advantage by driving the net and causing Montreal and their aggressive checkers to take more penalties to stop rushes and transitions.

Baby steps...I'd just like to see us win our first puck race.

Just now, FD19372 said:

Eleven shots through 2 periods. Not good. They have the lead, but not good.

Opportunistic would probably be the best way to describe them right now.
Price loses track of the puck or Habs defenders fail in covering the right guys, and Philly takes advantage and puts one on the board.

But you are right, for the 3rd, if the Flyers want to quash any and all feeling for Montreal that they can come back, they are gonna have to play more on their end, generate more shots, and generally make the Canadiens play more defense, because it is clear they feel more comfortable and would rather play in the Flyer zone.

This is hard to watch. Pushed off the puck, turnovers in the neutral zone, not skating, too often on the wrong side of the puck, huge gaps,  static power play,  .these are things a good bantam team does not do. Someone needs to light a fire under this group.