Conspiracy Theory

EmptyShelf

The only consolation is that the draft is deep in numbers.  We should get a very good player.  Also, if we start a REAL rebuild, going with youth and de-emphasizing the country club, we should have a couple more years of top 10 picks.  I have heard that the 2022 draft will be one of the best drafts in years with ‘several elite prospects’,

as opposed to just one or two.  Perhaps we can secure one of them as we re-build?

• Like 1

Hopefully so. We haven't been good at picking players, so I'm afraid we won't find the gems if we don't have top three picks. Can't really blame them either. I was astonished when CBJ picked Dubois instead of Puljujarvi 😳 Scouting is an art form.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

Hopefully so. We haven't been good at picking players, so I'm afraid we won't find the gems if we don't have top three picks. Can't really blame them either. I was astonished when CBJ picked Dubois instead of Puljujarvi 😳 Scouting is an art form.

Scouting and developing out of it is an art form of Mother Nature. 😉.

On 8/11/2020 at 12:30 AM, EmptyShelf said:

Bettman highjacked the #1 overall pick for the benefit of the big market NY Rangers. 

Have to keep the Big market fans happy and interested in their teams. 🤫
And let the majority of the rest fend for themselves. Bettman knows of our state and it's fan base's love for the game.
He probably never gives us a second thought...Or even 1st.

Conspiracy? ...Why not? I didn't see the ping pong ball selection process but heard that the person dropped 1 ball briefly.
The NYR's of course 🤔
Maybe a little 'slight of hand' going on? 🙃

On 8/12/2020 at 6:39 PM, IllaZilla said:

Doesn’t matter if the Wild has gotten the #1 pick. If the Wild had a choice between Sidney Crosby, Wayne Gretzky, and Joe Shlabotnik, they would have picked Joe Shlabotnik...

At this point, I am going to give Guerin the benefit of the doubt that he sees this team the way we see it.  He knows it needs help down the middle and needs a true #1 center that is gong to be a productive player offensively with goals as well as assists.  Plus I think he realizes how having two quality young wingers; he wants to give them a center that will make them the best they can be.  Especially since the team shipped out the majority of its scouting staff I guess I'm feeling more hopeful that we don't take players with skating issues.  

But ultimately we'll see what happens.  I had high hopes for Fenton and then he drafts Johansson with his first pick.  But the others seem to have promise...but that was such an awful first one.  I'm willing to give Guerin the benefit of the doubt at this point.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I dont think it was a conspiracy, if there was a conspiracy within the NHL right now, Toronto, The Rags, Edmonton and Pittsburgh would all still be playing.....

Yea, probably.  However, with all of thsoe clubs in the lottery.  There is an incentive to keep those teams relavant and good from a ratings' standpoint.  Sending that player to the Wild would be sending an elite talent into a media abyss because the NHL mostly doesn't acknowledge teams beyond the Eastern timezone.  

On 8/11/2020 at 11:06 AM, lynxrattle said:

When Kekalainen walked up to the podium and didn't take the Finish kid whom he'd seen a ton of, I thought "Oh wow".

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Yea, probably.  However, with all of thsoe clubs in the lottery.  There is an incentive to keep those teams relavant and good from a ratings' standpoint.  Sending that player to the Wild would be sending an elite talent into a media abyss because the NHL mostly doesn't acknowledge teams beyond the Eastern timezone.  

Yeah God knows that is the truth. I turned Hockey Central on the day after the CBJ/Bolts 5OT game, they touched on it briefly then pivoted to TWO hours of Maple Leaf talk, media day, playing snippets from Matthews, who should they trade, can tehy make a trade, do they need to make a trade, ect.... it was damn nauseating. And right in the middle of it they rolled Brian Burke out to add his two cents, not about the games from the night before or the games coming up, but about the Leafs. Jeff Merrick to his credit would occasionally pivot to the Knights and their relentless forecheck the night before against Chicago or Korpisalo breaking Hrudleys playoff save record for a single game and then that damn old worthless fool Burke would switch it back to the Leafs lack of forecheck or what will the Leafs do with Andersens contract that is up at the end of the year. 

So I agree with your basic premise but it is not just Eastern time zone teams, it is their personal media darlings, The Leafs first and foremost, followed by a few teams such as Boston, Montreal, a few Western Canadian clubs, the Knights, and the rest of us are just fodder who get the occasional honorable mention. Not just Hockey Central but the Hockey news, THN, most every major hockey news source. What i do is usually go into them on line, skip past the first few articles and then i find news on the Jackets or Wings or Blues or any of the 24 or so teams that they simply do not promote. 

Sound of me climbing off my soapbox

Edited by yave1964
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

@yave1964 Could you imagine what it would be like if McDavid played for the Leafs?

Here is how i feel about the Leafs. 

I love Matthews, simply love the kid, he ups his game every year. I really like Reilly. and tavares. And Anderson. Even Marner. It would be easy to admire the club, easy to watch and enjoy them. Hell, i am now and always will be a huge fan of Shanny, i even thought Babs was as good a coach as there was. that said i am glad for Sheldon Keefe finally getting a chance. There is nobody inside the organization who i hate the way that i hate a Marchand or a Claude Lemieux or a Ryan Clowe or others who i have hated over the years. They are a lot of fun to watch.

It isnt the team that i hate, it really isnt it is the All Leafs all the time BS from Hockey Central, from THN, from every source for Hockey out there pretty much. IMHO it is not so much an East Coast bias as it is a Toronto bias in the media. When Hockey Central did a lineup change last season i hoped and prayed that Burke would be the first to have the axe fall on his hair helmet but they kept the egotist onboard. Do you know how many cups he has? The same amount as me or you, lol. If you mentioned the word objectivity to him he would grab a dictionary, shrug, and hold it up upside down ala Trump with a bible. 

So it is not the players or even the front office. It is the media with the all Leafs all the time which makes me root against them. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

When Kekalainen walked up to the podium and didn't take the Finish kid whom he'd seen a ton of, I thought "Oh wow".

Kekalainen is a great evaluator of talent.  Did you ever see his video of him evaluating players when he was with the Blues?  

12 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Yeah God knows that is the truth. I turned Hockey Central on the day after the CBJ/Bolts 5OT game, they touched on it briefly then pivoted to TWO hours of Maple Leaf talk, media day, playing snippets from Matthews, who should they trade, can tehy make a trade, do they need to make a trade, ect.... it was damn nauseating. And right in the middle of it they rolled Brian Burke out to add his two cents, not about the games from the night before or the games coming up, but about the Leafs. Jeff Merrick to his credit would occasionally pivot to the Knights and their relentless forecheck the night before against Chicago or Korpisalo breaking Hrudleys playoff save record for a single game and then that damn old worthless fool Burke would switch it back to the Leafs lack of forecheck or what will the Leafs do with Andersens contract that is up at the end of the year. 

So I agree with your basic premise but it is not just Eastern time zone teams, it is their personal media darlings, The Leafs first and foremost, followed by a few teams such as Boston, Montreal, a few Western Canadian clubs, the Knights, and the rest of us are just fodder who get the occasional honorable mention. Not just Hockey Central but the Hockey news, THN, most every major hockey news source. What i do is usually go into them on line, skip past the first few articles and then i find news on the Jackets or Wings or Blues or any of the 24 or so teams that they simply do not promote. 

Sound of me climbing off my soapbox

I have to admit, I'm getting more than a little annoyed how NBC will have two Western Conference teams playing and then about halfway through the game they dump that game off to another network to toss two Eastern Conference teams that are just starting.  If that isn't blatant favortism I don't know what is.  I can understand maybe switch games if its like a blowout and there isn't much time left.  But games are tied...or within one and they don't care one bit.  The Western Conference game is tossed to NHL Network and then they bring on the Eastern Conference match up.