Oskar Strong.

flyer4ever

I hope this fires the guys up.

Keep winning so he can play come September...

...it starts tonight fellas show Montreal you will rise to the challenge and display what got you here in the first place.

Show them who is the best team.

Do it for yourselves do it for Oskar.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Do it for yourselves

This is actually my main message to the boys of I'm AV: you owe it to yourselves to keep this thing going, too much work put into it to just let it piss away. It's not free though. You have to do the work.

Putting my coaching hat on, if there's one thing besides that message that I would have, it's a strategy to manage the situations when Montreal's speed starts to get to us. You have to slow the game down, halt the momentum build, by taking whistles, even icings if need be. 

And generally slow it down. Have Hart fake an equipment problem, go back to the bench for a different stick, try making a late change, knowing that the refs will send them back. If it were soccer you could fake an injury. But even that I would consider, as a player at least. Whatever, anything and all things to halt the momentum and survive the deluge without giving up a goal.

But while we're slowing things down just keep saying over and over as a mantra: quick feet, quick feet, always quick feet. If you stop moving your feet in response to speed, like we did Friday afternoon, you're dead. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

This is actually my main message to the boys of I'm AV: you owe it to yourselves to keep this thing going, too much work put into it to just let it piss away. It's not free though. You have to do the work.

Putting my coaching hat on, if there's one thing besides that message that I would have, it's a strategy to manage the situations when Montreal's speed starts to get to us. You have to slow the game down, halt the momentum build, by taking whistles, even icings if need be. 

And generally slow it down. Have Hart fake an equipment problem, go back to the bench for a different stick, try making a late change, knowing that the refs will send them back. If it were soccer you could fake an injury. But even that I would consider, as a player at least. Whatever, anything and all things to halt the momentum and survive the deluge without giving up a goal.

But while we're slowing things down just keep saying over and over as a mantra: quick feet, quick feet, always quick feet. If you stop moving your feet in response to speed, like we did Friday afternoon, you're dead. 

The problem is their speed is negating the dump and chase they are using they are getting to the puck before the Flyers can.

And their speed is keeping them from carrying it in.

So yeah they are going to have to find a way to beat them.

Otherwise this core gets blown up. Which you won't admit and I get it.

Right Montreal is ****** juggernaut.

this team was barely .500, they're going good now, they aren't unbeatable. 

Reading this forum you'd think the boys are playing the late 80's Oilers or some ****.

15 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Right Montreal is ****** juggernaut.

this team was barely .500, they're going good now, they aren't unbeatable. 

Reading this forum you'd think the boys are playing the late 80's Oilers or some ****.

Stop helping me hijack this thread.

It's originaly @Podein25 fault and I sheepishly followed suit.

C'mon mojo you better than that don't fall for the Sheep slayers tricks...

...now back to Oskar I really hope he gets a chance to lace me up this playoff run. 

I guess my biggest question would be who do you scratch for him?

Thompson? JVR? Pitlick?

Edited by OccamsRazor
Trust The Bourbon!!!!

@OccamsRazor

I know I can be baaaahd about some things occasionally.

I sit JvR, as of today.

There is usually 1 or 2 shifts a night where he's really noticeable in a good way, strong on the puck, smart on the forecheck, creating chances & using his frame to protect the puck and make a play.

But the rest of the night...crickets.  That inconsistency makes me nutso.

Everyone wants to bag on Thompson, his advanced stats aren't great, but eye test, says he's hitting guys, back checking alright and having the couple of shifts where his line grinds. I don't sit Pitlick either, he's fast he's relentless, he's trying to skate through mother****ers out there, I leave him be.  

24 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

back to Oskar I really hope he gets a chance to lace me up this playoff run.

I don't see it. He looks really skinny, I think he needs to put some weight back on from the chemo. I don't think he's near ready tbh

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@OccamsRazor

I know I can be baaaahd about some things occasionally.

I sit JvR, as of today.

There is usually 1 or 2 shifts a night where he's really noticeable in a good way, strong on the puck, smart on the forecheck, creating chances & using his frame to protect the puck and make a play.

But the rest of the night...crickets.  That inconsistency makes me nutso.

Everyone wants to bag on Thompson, his advanced stats aren't great, but eye test, says he's hitting guys, back checking alright and having the couple of shifts where his line grinds. I don't sit Pitlick either, he's fast he's relentless, he's trying to skate through mother****ers out there, I leave him be.  

Great points and for the record I wasn't bagging on Thompson in fact he had a solid game last night best of his playoffs performances.

So no argument for sitting JVR he has been a disappointment this season from start till now.

6 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I don't see it. He looks really skinny, I think he needs to put some weight back on from the chemo. I don't think he's near ready tbh

You could be right but once he is done with the chemo it takes a week or so for the appetite to come back. 

So once he starts eating some good food and I can see him gaining some weigh by September and getting in but you maybe dead on and he not coming back he is just there for more inspiration so to speak.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

You could be right but once he is done with the chemo it takes a week or so for the appetite to come back. 

So once he starts eating some good food and I can see him gaining some weigh by September and getting in but you maybe dead on and he not coming back he is just there for more inspiration so to speak.

He's probably a month away. I think he's there for inspiration and because this gang is very close, especially the young ones that came up together.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

He's probably a month away. I think he's there for inspiration and because this gang is very close, especially the young ones that came up together.

Just give his some milk and he'll be good.

Lace em up!

Trust the bourbon!

21 minutes ago, eleven24 said:

Oskar should just plop down in the locker room next to Giroux and say "So, things been going tough for you, eh?"

And then walk away.

Has G been whining about things being bad ?

I missed that.

But you're right I'm sure that would be the magic tonic to fix everything. 

Pretty amazing that 8 months after diagnosis we're even entertaining the idea that Lindblom will play in the NHL after that diagnosis.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Has G been whining about things being bad ?

I missed that.

No, Giroux isn't whining at all.  I'm sure though he would admit he's "gripping the stick too tight".  Oskar could put a little perspective on what stress and pressure really are.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, eleven24 said:

No, Giroux isn't whining at all.  I'm sure though he would admit he's "gripping the stick too tight".  Oskar could put a little perspective on what stress and pressure really are.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I'm pretty sure Giroux isn't lacking perspective. 

I also think Giroux needs to just play better as well. 

I don't think catching some shade from a man who would never say such a thing would make one ounce of difference in Giroux's performance. 

I do think this is a bad anecdote you're going for here.

49 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I'm pretty sure Giroux isn't lacking perspective. 

Not sure why you're fishing for an argument here.  Giroux has been invisible, and not just on the score sheet.  Where's the guy who laid out Crosby to start the game a few years back?  Where is that intensity?  When was the last time you saw Giroux do ANYTHING that made you think, damn he's fired up?

Meanwhile, you have a guy who fought his ass off to just get on the ice at practice and would run through a wall to get into a game.  Giroux might not be lacking perspective, but perhaps he needs a different perspective.

• Good Post 1

13 minutes ago, eleven24 said:

Not sure why you're fishing for an argument here.  Giroux has been invisible, and not just on the score sheet.  Where's the guy who laid out Crosby to start the game a few years back?  Where is that intensity?  When was the last time you saw Giroux do ANYTHING that made you think, damn he's fired up?

I will tell you why, I'm fishing for an argument. It's because you're harshing my buzz. 

Modern medicine is capable of amazing things, just 15 years ago this diagnosis is most likely a death sentence. 

It is my opinion that your imaginary scenario where: "Claude Giroux  finally sees the light and decides to play better hockey because the magic Swede told him he's got no right to grip his stick tightly, because cancer" is ludicrous. 

I don't want to equate this amazing recovery (remission) story with trials of an under performing hockey winger.

I reckon I should have just said that.

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Bobby Ryan is named the winner of the Masterton Trophy.

Probably because the voting took place after the regular season was declared over.  Oscar didn't return until the playoffs.  I was actually surprised to se he was nominated this year.  He should be a nominee next year.