Round 2: Flyers vs Islanders Thread

pilldoc

First time in over 30 years that the Flyers will face the Islanders in the playoffs....

last meeting:...way back in 1987! I was a senior in high school........

Won Patrick Division Finals 4-3
20-Apr-87 New York Islanders 2 at Flyers 4   W Boxscore
22-Apr-87 New York Islanders 2 at Flyers 1   L Boxscore
24-Apr-87 Flyers 4 at New York Islanders 1   W Boxscore
26-Apr-87 Flyers 6 at New York Islanders 4   W Boxscore
28-Apr-87 New York Islanders 2 at Flyers 1   L Boxscore
30-Apr-87 Flyers 2 at New York Islanders 4   L Boxscore
2-May-87 New York Islanders 1 at Flyers 5   W Boxscore

Islanders eliminated the Caps in 5 games.  Flyers have their work

cut out for them.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

last meeting:...way back in 1987! I was a senior in high school........

Well, you are a kid to me.  I was a senior in high school when the Flyers last won the Cup.  But it's hard to imagine that 30+  years since these teams have met in the playoffs. I guess that reflects the hard times that had fallen on the Islanders prior to Trotz.  The Isles took over the Flyers' mantle with their four Cups, then fizzled. I might say we are taking on a franchise being reborn. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I might say we are taking on a franchise being reborn. 

This has been 8 years in the making.

Anytime.

Anywhere.

Bring it on!

Edited by OccamsRazor
Trust The Bourbon!!!!

Per NHL media site, Flyers-Islanders:

Game 1 — Monday, 7 p.m. ET

Game 2 — Wednesday, 3 p.m. ET

Game 3 — Thursday, 7 p.m. ET

Game 4 — Saturday, noon ET

Game 5 — Monday, Aug. 31 — TBD

Game 6 — TBD Game 7 — TBD

Edited by OccamsRazor
Trust The Bourbon!!!!

The Islanders are very, very tough.  We might have the edge in goal and maybe on D, but they play Trotz' system to the T, which can make up for it.  They have the edge at forward and they play harder more consistently.   If I had to bet, I would guess Islanders in 6.  Hope to be wrong.

• Like 1

The Isles will certainly pose a different yet harder test to pass. But they are beatable.

It would help as has been said many times if Giroux, Konecny and maybe if he gets back in JVR could find the back of the net.

Right now the depth players are carrying the Flyers.

They have game winners from: Jake, Thompson, Raffl, Sanheim, NAK and Farabee.

Not exactly what i expected this playoff run.

Meanwhile the Isles have game winners from: Beauviller (3) Nelson, Barzal, Bailey and Eberle. Mostly their top players answering the bell.

So i have to wonder will the Flyers top guns show up and make this a series vs the Isles or will they cave and want to just go home and shelter in place.

I know Hart and his support players will show up they have some far.

So the difference i think will be just what AV said "We need our best players to do just hat. Be our best players." Earn that money.

Beauviller (Nelson and Bailey) with 9 points in 9 games seems to be the guy Coots is going to have to shut down.

Yet the Flyers will need some line to step up and shut down Barzal's line with Lee and Eberle on it.

A very tough matchup but i have faith in AV and his staff to get them ready as best they can.

Only the players can answer that bell. Now will they. I look forward to watching some more on the edge of my seat hockey!

Go Flyers!!!!!!!! Trust The Bourbon!!!!!!!!

35 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

I remember it like it was yesterday.  Especially the series clinching game.  I was a 5th grader and we had to attend a 50th anniversary celebration for the grandparents of my neighbor across the street.  It was being held at a hotel in Philly.  Not wanting to miss the game my dad brought our brand new SONY Walkman radio.  He also brought a single earpiece so he could listen relatively unnoticed.  He looked like a secret service agent with his suit and single earpiece.  I’m guessing some thought he was hotel security since we were fairly unknown among the guests. He kept coming over to me telling me how the scored yet again and we both celebrated quietly together knowing we were moving on to the next round.

Sadly my dad has been gone for 20 years now but this is one of my favorite memories of the 23 years I got to spend with him.

Great story! Thanks for sharing. :)

• Thanks 1

And i almost forgot. The bottom 6 will be given a chance to show how good they are heal up NAK they will need you.

I can't see JVR getting a chance to go against the Isles 3rd line of Brassard, Pageau (leads team at +9) and Komarov.

I think Flyers have a advantage over the Isles 4th line of Martin, Cizikas and Johnston.

And the goalie mathcup:

Hart 5-2 944% 1.66 gaa 2 shutouts

Varlamov 7-2 934% 1.67 gaa 1 shutout

Very very good matchup in goal. This should be a hard fought series. Thank you Montreal for getting the Flyers ready.

Stat wise the blue lines looks even both team only had 3 goals from defensemen.

The Isles back end put up more points (19) compared to Flyers (11).

Just to put into perspective......last time the Flyers won a series...

Giroux was 24 put up 93 points

Hartnell was 29 and put up 67 points

Jake was 22 put up 49 points

Simmonds was 22 put up 49 points

Schenn was 20 put up 18 points (12 goals)

Coots was 19 put up 27 ponts

Wellwood was 21

Rinaldo was 21

Jagr was 39 put up 54 points

Bob 23

Man that seems like an eternity ago.

In the Flyers matchups vs Isles:

October 27th Isles won 5-3 Hart got yanked 5 goals on 15 shots. Goals by Jake, TK and Giroux.

November 17th Isles won 4-3 in a shootout. Elliot stopped 33 of 36 shots.

Flyers scored the first 3 goals Coots, Ivan and Lindblom.

Then Isles scored 3 unanswered goals to force OT and win it finally in a shootout with goals by Eberle and Barzal while Coots and Giroux got nada.

February 11th Isles win 5-3. Elliott stops 20 of 24 shots. Isles score the first 3 goals.

Then Flyers claw their way back in by scoring 3 straight TK, Hagg and Coots only to collapse and give up 3 more goals the last one an empty netter.

So it looks like Hart and Varlamov have only went toe to toe one time this past year.

Hart is a much much better goalie now i look forward to this matchup should be a very very good one. It won't be easy at all.

Carter Hart in tournament:

6-2-0, 1.71 GAA, .943 save percentage, 2 shutouts, 4 wins over Canadiens, 1 over Bruins, 1 over Lightning.

Impressive, impressive start to his first-ever Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Edited by OccamsRazor
Trust The Bourbon!!!!

So from everything i have seen so far most are picking the Isles in 6 or 7.

Thats ok last time i saw a #1 seeded Philly team in the playoffs they won it all.

Flyers Nation on Twitter: "A Philly team with a great record going ...

Respect isn't given.......it's taken!!!!!!!! Go Flyers!!!

This is thing to be a tough series, especially when the top guns are now firing blanks. 

This might be the ideal time for Vigneault to shake up the lines. Hell, maybe a series against the Isles might be enough to get them to use Frost at some point or another. 

I'd also like to see the defense generate a little more offense and really give the Isles pause for concern. 

The good news though is that the Canadiens helped them become a little more battle tested, so I expect someone like Provorov really step up his game to the next level. If Konecny snaps out of his fink and starts scoring again, this becomes a difference series. 

This is what i roll out game 1...

Giroux - Couturier - Aube-Kubel

Laughton - Hayes - Konecny

JVR - Grant - Farabee

Raffl - Frost - Pitlick

Provorov - Niskanen

Sanheim - Myers

Ghost - Hagg

Hart

Elliott

I know some may get upset about Frost but game one gives you time to experiment.

I wait if see if Morgan can replace Thompson. I want some more speed and skill in the line up and Frost fits the bill.

Let's see if he can stick. I would love for him to bump Grant to the fourth...but baby steps...

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

This is what i roll out game 1...

JVR - Grant - Farabee

Raffl - Frost - Pitlick

Provorov - Niskanen

Sanheim - Myers

Ghost - Hagg

Hart

Elliott

I know some may get upset about Frost but game one gives you time to experiment.

I wait if see if Morgan can replace Thompson. I want some more speed and skill in the line up and Frost fits the bill.

Let's see if he can stick. I would love for him to bump Grant to the fourth...but baby steps...

Where's Voracek? You know they aren't going to sit Jake in a series like this. Honestly, I'd move van Useless to the press box, move Farabee to the left side of Grant and have Jake on the right. 

29 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Where's Voracek?

Wow how did i overlook him...he basically outscored everyone to win the last series i have to put him in.

Damn...sorry JVR.

Farabee - Grant - Voracek

Raffl - Frost - Pitlick

Provorov - Niskanen

Sanheim - Myers

Ghost - Hagg

Hart

Elliott

I have the first line set up to try and G and Coots going but you could swap Jake and NAK if it looks like it isn't working.

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Damn...sorry JVR.

I was going to say sorry OR...but JVR isn't in my lineup against the Isles. The guy steers clear of all contact, and that's what the Isles do is contact.

All JVR brings is goals (yes goals are important) but if he isn't scoring he isn't doing anything. And right now he has a big fat zero on his stats sheet. Most players you could say, "Well, he's doing this or that" other than scoring. JVR doesn't.

Nobody owes JVR an apology. He owes the Flyers one for stealing their money. Would I have signed that contract? Sure. But nobody would say I didn't try.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow how did i overlook him...he basically outscored everyone to win the last series i have to put him in.

Damn...sorry JVR.

Farabee - Grant - Voracek

Raffl - Frost - Pitlick

Provorov - Niskanen

Sanheim - Myers

Ghost - Hagg

Hart

Elliott

I have the first line set up to try and G and Coots going but you could swap Jake and NAK if it looks like it isn't working.

I really like NAK on the first line. His speed and physicality alone would be enough to free up lanes for Giroux and Couturier. He's also defensively responsible and he's got good hands to chip in offensively. He's the guy they need to pester Barzal enough to throw him off his game. 

Frost fitting between Pitlick and Raffl is good idea as well. It gets Frost acclimated to playoff hockey and he's in a no pressure situation. This could be a surprisingly good fourth line that can forecheck and score some timely goals. I also think that Pitlick and Raffl are good veteran examples that Frost can learn from in terms of preparation and not trying to do too much. 

We need to get the PP going though. There's no reason why the club is as bad as they are. That's how they're going to have to beat the Islanders. The Isles PK is not very good and the Flyers need to exploit that. They aren't going to score many goals 5 on 5 against them, so the PP becomes of greater importance this series. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

. I also think that Pitlick and Raffl are good veteran examples that Frost can learn from in terms of preparation and not trying to do too much. 

Exactly gives him two guys who can help Morgan get his feet wet in a NHL playoff atmosphere without it being a elimination type game with extra pressure in case they need him later.

I'm hoping he proves he can handle it and stay in the lineup.

35 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

We need to get the PP going though.

They have the worst PK of the teams remaining so if they can't get it going now then it may never get going.

Hopefully the big guns finally show up and take some pressure of NEEDING to score so much on the powerplay that can help alleviate some pressure on the PP guys.

I expect this to be a step harder wise for the Flyers the Isles have the finishers the Canadiens lacked down low.

Going to be a full team effort keeping the puck away from them down low near Hart.

Rest up boys.

Trust The Bourbon 

**** the Islanders.

Really.

The Flyers eviscerated the Capitals this season, so the Isles winning 4-1 is no great feat. Add to that every game played against the Islanders was either on the back end of a back to back and or before the Flyers got rolling. 

After 6 games versus those gnat-**** Canadiens with no room the Flyers will feel like they have days to make plays. 

The Islanders can skate and are big but so is every other team the Flyers handled this year.

Fear not, our goalie is better, our big guys will have more time. 

Also no Carey Price, I  know he wasn't really ZOMG! amazeballs in the series, but his puck handling diffused the Flyers forecheck. Varlomov...let that ****** guy handle the puck, please.  

There is no Shea Weber type presence in the Islanders lineup. I think he was a big deal. He played Provorovian minutes with Chiarot they are a legitimately great D-pairing. There are guys to be exploited on this Isles team. 

The Islanders will get theirs because they don't suck. They are very beatable.

Our guys will be fine.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

**** the Islanders.

Really.

The Flyers eviscerated the Capitals this season, so the Isles winning 4-1 is no great feat. Add to that every game played against the Islanders was either on the back end of a back to back and or before the Flyers got rolling. 

After 6 games versus those gnat-**** Canadiens with no room the Flyers will feel like they have days to make plays. 

The Islanders can skate and are big but so is every other team the Flyers handled this year.

Fear not, our goalie is better, our big guys will have more time. 

Also no Carey Price, I  know he wasn't really ZOMG! amazeballs in the series, but his puck handling diffused the Flyers forecheck. Varlomov...let that ****** guy handle the puck, please.  

There is no Shea Weber type presence in the Islanders lineup. I think he was a big deal. He played Provorovian minutes with Chiarot they are a legitimately great D-pairing. There are guys to be exploited on this Isles team. 

The Islanders will get theirs because they don't suck. They are very beatable.

Our guys will be fine.

Attaboy

• Like 1