Round 2: Flyers vs Islanders Thread

pilldoc

I am glad Myers won it quickly.  He is growing up.

I only watched the last 1.5 periods. Seeing a team blow a 3 goal lead is no fun.  We can't keep up with their forwards.  Coots is Coots, and from my vantage, Hayes is our #1 Center, even if he isn't on the first line. But you go beyond those two, and I shake my head.  I thought Pitlick outplayed Giroux in terms of determination and smart puck choices.  The rest of our forwards--there just doesn't seem to be any fire or strong moves on the goal.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I am glad Myers won it quickly.  He is growing up.

I only watched the last 1.5 periods. Seeing a team blow a 3 goal lead is no fun.  We can't keep up with their forwards.  Coots is Coots, and from my vantage, Hayes is our #1 Center, even if he isn't on the first line. But you go beyond those two, and I shake my head.  I thought Pitlick outplayed Giroux in terms of determination and smart puck choices.  The rest of our forwards--there just doesn't seem to be any fire or strong moves on the goal.  

I thought TK had a decent game today.  Hopefully, he is waking up.

I think Pitlick is worth extending. I like his game and determination. 

Grant has some size but is largely invisible,  does he come out for Laughton?  who I think after getting benched won't have his head up his ass.

I don't know what happened to cause all the "displeasure " with Giroux's game. I saw him win a d zone face off on Hayesey's first goal, (which he drove the net to keep Varlomov off the post) drive the net on the pp for a + chance , spring Couturier on his goal.  Win a draw and start the sequence that won the game in OT.

What happened in the 2nd period for so many people to be wanting him gone & disappointed?

I didn't see him actively lose the game as it appears to so many he did.

Any thoughts?

The big issue with Giroux is expectation vs result. The flyers are winning and are still alive, but we all see a team just getting by. That starts with him.hes the "C" and superstar leader. So when he does a good thing here or there, in the absence of significant production, he will get criticized. Its obvious when you compare him to TK. Neither are producing, but no one wants TK's head on a pike

After all these years, Flyer fans can stop waiting for "in two seasons". The Flyers have arrived, and are legit. This was evident by the end of the season and the round robin. Now, after all this time, on the biggest stage, our big gun is silent. The disappointment that brings to the fan base will leave a scar that wont go away easily

• Like 3

8 hours ago, eleven24 said:

Curious to see what, if any action the NHL will take following the NBA, MLB, MLS and WNBA canceling games over the Jacob Blake shooting protests.  I would not be surprised if Thursday's games are postponed.

I asked the same question in chat yesterday (not looking for a political response or opinion).  If today’s games are postponed, that gives Carter Hart and the boys an extra day off instead of back-to-back games.  The only issue is the schedule will get compressed somewhere else like Friday-Saturday games.  And because there are other games scheduled for Friday, the ice conditions could be affected.  Damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

The big issue with Giroux is expectation vs result. The flyers are winning and are still alive, but we all see a team just getting by. That starts with him.hes the "C" and superstar leader. So when he does a good thing here or there, in the absence of significant production, he will get criticized.

You know I understand the perception here. We've discussed it at length. I still find the call to bench the guy baffling. That's as kind as i can be about that line of thinking. 

Yesterday the good thing "here or there' led directly to scoring and winning. The guy was on the ice for all the good stuff that happened and was a catalyst for that good stuff happening. So he didn't score the goal, none of the 3 big ones I mentioned happen if he's not making a play.  The guy was never Nathan MacKinnon, he's doing good work though, on a team that's struggling he's driving or contributing to what little production there has been. 

43 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Opinions should not supersede facts

This was a thing 4 years ago. Now, what's a fact ?- mine are different than yours...( not you specifically).  

Don't believe your eyes, believe what I'm telling you. 

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

. I saw him win a d zone face off on Hayesey's first goal, (which he drove the net to keep Varlomov off the post) drive the net on the pp for a + chance , spring Couturier on his goal.  Win a draw and start the sequence that won the game in OT.

Finally. Everything is not ok because he finally shows up for a period in game 2 of the second round. As @Howie58 had stated i think Pitlick has stood out more in his time on the ice than Giroux because he is always skating and always showing hustle and intensity.

Giroux many times and i'm not talking about last night because there are huge chunks of the game i didn't watch, just cuts circles when he is skating instead of getting more involved in the play or he'll just stop skating and watch.

And that is what you don't see with the Isles players they are always hustling and that is why is seems like the Flyers can't even take a step without being swarmed because all the Islander players are buying in and doing their part to make their system work - zero passengers. They don't have any JVR's or even what Laughton has become lately for whatever reason on their team or not that i notice.

I just want to see some passion in Giroux's game even if he isn't putting up points he should always be grinding and playing hard.

And he just isn't. He has it seems in spurts but that isn't what this team needs to get past this challenge. My 2 cents.

• Like 1

Aside from all of this, did anyone catch the hour long documentary after the Flyers game on NBCSN on how they created the bubbles in Edmonton & Toronto?  The level of detail they went into for the display in the empty seats is incredible to watch

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Finally. Everything is not ok because he finally shows up for a period in game 2 of the second round. As @Howie58 had stated i think Pitlick has stood out more in his time on the ice than Giroux because he is always skating and always showing hustle and intensity.

Giroux many times and i'm not talking about last night because there are huge chunks of the game i didn't watch, just cuts circles when he is skating instead of getting more involved in the play or he'll just stop skating and watch.

And that is what you don't see with the Isles players they are always hustling and that is why is seems like the Flyers can't even take a step without being swarmed because all the Islander players are buying in and doing their part to make their system work - zero passengers. They don't have any JVR's or even what Laughton has become lately for whatever reason on their team or not that i notice.

I just want to see some passion in Giroux's game even if he isn't putting up points he should always be grinding and playing hard.

And he just isn't. He has it seems in spurts but that isn't what this team needs to get past this challenge. My 2 cents.

I am wondering about Giroux’s conditioning and his off season training habits? There have been lots of players who changed their workouts as they got older and it Improved their game big time and prolonged their careers .  Guys like Recchi and Chelios for example.I remember Recchi talking about doing some special workouts that  strengthened his legs and It revived his career.Maybe Giroux needs to see one of those specialized personal trainers. 

• Like 2

Just now, RonJeremy said:

I am wondering about Giroux’s conditioning and his off season training habits? There have been lots of players who changed their workouts as they got older and it Improved their game big time and prolonged their careers .  Guys like Recchi and Chelios for example.I remember Recchi talking about doing some special workouts that  strengthened his legs and It revived his career.Maybe Giroux needs to see one of those specialized personal trainers. 

I'm not worried about his conditioning i am worried about his mental state.

It looks like he isn't there mentally completely with his teammates. It looks like he is dealing with the separation from his wife and child not so well.

And i'm not mad at him. I understand it and he is human.

I am just wanting him to figure it out and find a way to put it aside and put everything he has on the task at hand and that is to win a Cup.

And i also understand that is unfair so to speak as just because i have put stuff like that in my life to handle my job i shouldn't just expect everyone to be just like me. I get it. But i hope as a fan he figures it out.

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm not worried about his conditioning i am worried about his mental state.

It looks like he isn't there mentally completely with his teammates. It looks like he is dealing with the separation from his wife and child not so well.

And i'm not mad at him. I understand it and he is human.

I am just wanting him to figure it out and find a way to put it aside and put everything he has on the task at hand and that is to win a Cup.

And i also understand that is unfair so to speak as just because i have put stuff like that in my life to handle my job i shouldn't just expect everyone to be just like me. I get it. But i hope as a fan he figures it out.

Ok, maybe this year it’s mental, but his career playoff performances have not been good at all and his regular season numbers have been declining too. 

Please keep this thread on topic with regards to the Isles / Flyers series.

Further comments about the shooting will be hidden as there are many opinions on the subject.  This thread / forum is not the place for it.

thank you 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

Please keep this thread on topic with regards to the Isles / Flyers series.

Further comments about the shooting will be hidden as there are many opinions on the subject.  This thread / forum is not the place for it.

thank you 

Sorry i knew i shouldn't have mentioned my opinion on the subject and won't comment on it further here.

The only thing i will say about it is i hope they play the game.