Round 2: Flyers vs Islanders Thread

pilldoc

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sorry i knew i shouldn't have mentioned my opinion on the subject and won't comment on it further here.

The only thing i will say about it is i hope they play the game.

No worries .... One thing I have learned is that we are not all perfect .....

This series isn't over.  That said, we have gotten some signals.  1.  We really could use a Suzuki or two.  2.  Our "Big 5" may be playing small against stiff competition.  There may be many reasons behind number 2.  But if I were Chuck Fletcher (I think AV will do a great job with whatever clay he has to mold), there has to be some concern, particularly with Giroux, long-term.  With JVR, one could say that power forwards tend to fall off a cliff, and maybe he's done that. With G--hard to say.  All in, the Thompsons and Pitlicks seem more engaged than some of our big names.  Per Occ, they might not have finesse, but they seem to get the need for keeping the puck deep in your opponent's zone.  That may not score goals, but it keeps the opposition from doing so.  

9 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

All in, the Thompsons and Pitlicks seem more engaged than some of our big names.  Per Occ, they might not have finesse, but they seem to get the need for keeping the puck deep in your opponent's zone.  That may not score goals, but it keeps the opposition from doing so.  

I actually think Pitlick has a fair amount of skill. I love everything about his game to be honest and want him resigned. That guy leaves it all on the ice, every shift, every game.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

This series isn't over.

No it isn't. And it's a good thing. To be able to keep winning and they still aren't playing their best hockey yet i have to say is a good sign that they are not quitting and are still fighting and clawing to win. So that is good news.

8 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

We really could use a Suzuki or two. 

Well they may have those two types of players in a slight different form....Oskar and Patrick are just out the lineup right now.

But what about these two kids...

...growing and getting good playoff experience under their belts. Exactly what we wanted. It's happening.

11 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

there has to be some concern, particularly with Giroux, long-term.  With JVR

There certainly is. I think JVR is a lost cause. Giroux i am holding out hope he comes around. He did make an impact in yesterday's game. Which is a sign of life.

If not for Carter Hart they would down 0-2. So i wonder if they rest him or go with Hart today. Not sure Elliott is up for the task these Isles pose.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

If not for Carter Hart they would down 0-2. So i wonder if they rest him or go with Hart today.

The answer to your question is contained in the first sentence. Not starting Hart is how a coach loses his job.

Just now, Podein25 said:

The answer to your question is contained in the first sentence. Not starting Hart is how a coach loses his job.

I agree Elliott did not fare well in his two starts this year vs Islanders. I would hope he goes back to the kid.

Elliott hasn't played since August 14th (two weeks of rust build up is not encouraging) so i go with the kid and if he struggles then go with Elliott.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

For you bud...

Nobody with a brain larger than a pea believes that AV "likes" JVR's game. That's for public consumption. And, yes, I assume Scott is not 100%. He certainly hasn't played like it. He was the most consistent Flyer going into the Montreal series. Playing terrible and tentative. I assume he's injured. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm not worried about his conditioning i am worried about his mental state.

It looks like he isn't there mentally completely with his teammates. It looks like he is dealing with the separation from his wife and child not so well.

And i'm not mad at him. I understand it and he is human.

I am just wanting him to figure it out and find a way to put it aside and put everything he has on the task at hand and that is to win a Cup.

And i also understand that is unfair so to speak as just because i have put stuff like that in my life to handle my job i shouldn't just expect everyone to be just like me. I get it. But i hope as a fan he figures it out.

i think you referenced this before. If a superstar player, the leader of the team, a professional multi-millionaire athlete, cannot maintain his mental preparedness for a championship, then he should opt out.

And, under the current circumstances, if Giroux cant play the way he is expected to, then he shouldn't be on the Flyers to begin with, and he shouldn't be cashing those paychecks

• Like 2

Just now, Podein25 said:

Nobody with a brain larger than a pea believes that AV "likes" JVR's game. That's for public consumption. And, yes, I assume Scott is not 100%. He certainly hasn't played like it. He was the most consistent Flyer going into the Montreal series. Playing terrible and tentative. I assume he's injured. 

Uh oh! here comes the Phantom injury that always explains why a Flyer player is not performing up to par

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

And, yes, I assume Scott is not 100%

I agree just poking fun at ya....however i would have taken this opportunity to try Frosty instead...i mean let's be honest what is the worse that could go wrong no way he could be more useless than JVR right now...zero way.

4 minutes ago, CoachX said:

he shouldn't be cashing those paychecks

I've not done a stitch of work today but cashed my cheque. I do so solid in the knowledge that my CEO also did no work but cashed his considerably larger cheque.

I don't make the rules.

Edited by Podein25
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I agree just poking fun at ya....however i would have taken this opportunity to try Frosty instead...i mean let's be honest what is the worse that could go wrong no way he could be more useless than JVR right now...zero way.

Agreed. Maybe Frost is not 100%? I'd consider Bunnaman tbh. 

I know, Reported right? I will show myself out...

Edited by Podein25

2 minutes ago, CoachX said:

i think you referenced this before. If a superstar player, the leader of the team, a professional multi-millionaire athlete, cannot maintain his mental preparedness for a championship, then he should opt out.

Oh i agree, in fact you will find comments on the thread in the shoutbox where i joked he already has....he just has yet to announced to us all like Rask manned up and did.

Because G knows if he ever does he will lose the fans in Philly..........right or wrong. Just the facts. However i truly am rooting for Giroux to keep up his work and maybe he will completely snap out of this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I've not done a stitch of work today but cashed my cheque. I do so solid in the knowledge that my CEO also did no work but cashed his considerably larger cheque.

I don't make the rules.

Yes, but you are a career underachiever

Trust the Bourbon

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Uh oh! here comes the Phantom injury that always explains why a Flyer player is not performing up to par

Hockey is a pretty physical sport, sport. The fact the Laughts didn't dress is what tells me he's injured. He's so much better than what he's shown in the last 5 games.

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Well it's not really a phantom injury or announcement...because you can't comment on those type of injuries...

...unless you're Montreal of course and then well you can...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

Hockey is a pretty physical sport, sport. The fact the Laughts didn't dress is what tells me he's injured. He's so much better than what he's shown in the last 5 games.

who am I to argue?

I'm out of bourbon.

I need to run by the liquor store, so i can't announce my drink of choice yet for tonight's game but i will when i have said beverage in grasp...however you can bet it will be bourbon...

...so what is everyone else's drink of choice???

Trust The Bourbon

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CoachX said:
15 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I don't make the rules.

Yes, but you are a career underachiever

and did you know that I stayed at a Holiday Express and that for 15 minutes minutes Geico could save you 15% or more on car insurance. :VeryCool:

• Haha 2