Round 2: Flyers vs Islanders Thread

pilldoc

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

I don't necessarily see tiredness.

I see lots of other problems with our team game, but much of it can be addressed through simplification and a stronger commitment to better gap control and better puck support. 

can you elaborate? other than what you pointed out regarding  short passes

Updated schedule:

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-playoffs-round-2-schedule/c-280468316

Philadelphia Flyers (1) vs. New York Islanders (6)

(Series tied, 1-1)

Game 1: Islanders 4, Flyers 0

Game 2: Flyers 4, Islanders 3 (OT)

Saturday, Aug. 29: Flyers vs. Islanders, 7 p.m | NBCSN, SN, CBC, TVAS

Sunday, Aug. 30: Flyers vs. Islanders, 8 p.m.| NBC, SN, CBC, TVAS

Tuesday, Sept. 1: Islanders vs. Flyers, 7 p.m. | NBCSN, SN, CBC, TVAS

*Thursday, Sept. 3: Flyers vs. Islanders, TBD | TBD

*Saturday, Sept. 5: Islanders vs. Flyers, TBD | TBD

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

in the Flyers case a lot of what I am seeing is when the lane is there to make said pass they don't jump on the chance.

They keep it till the Isles converge on them and the window to make the pass has shunk immensely or is not even there and then they'll try and force it and send a sloppy hard to handle pass to the guy with a lot of times it being in their skates.

With all due respect there is not a pro hockey player on the planet who will not make a pass that is available to them in the manner you describe. It's a fast game, maybe they don't see what you and I see on the TV. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Updated schedule:

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-playoffs-round-2-schedule/c-280468316

Philadelphia Flyers (1) vs. New York Islanders (6)

(Series tied, 1-1)

Game 1: Islanders 4, Flyers 0

Game 2: Flyers 4, Islanders 3 (OT)

Saturday, Aug. 29: Flyers vs. Islanders, 7 p.m | NBCSN, SN, CBC, TVAS

Sunday, Aug. 30: Flyers vs. Islanders, 8 p.m.| NBC, SN, CBC, TVAS

Tuesday, Sept. 1: Islanders vs. Flyers, 7 p.m. | NBCSN, SN, CBC, TVAS

*Thursday, Sept. 3: Flyers vs. Islanders, TBD | TBD

*Saturday, Sept. 5: Islanders vs. Flyers, TBD | TBD

Not sure WTF they insist on having back to back games....why the rush???

4 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

With all due respect there is not a pro hockey player on the planet who will not make a pass that is available to them in the manner you describe. It's a fast game, maybe they don't see what you and I see on the TV. 

Ok it must be the bourbon. Maybe we replace their gatorade with some Buffalo Trace...just kicking around ideas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

can you elaborate? 

Umm, no? Lol

By simplify I mean the shorter, more high percentage passes, not forcing things through any skates or bodies. This requires people in position to take these passes and to support them additionally, of course (see: puck support), because the guy receiving them usually does not have lots of time. But it relieves pressure.

But it relieves pressure.

so does pinching a mondo dook; which surprisingly

has a lot in common with how they are playing right now.

I digress!

Thanks for the analysis. Is it just me, or are they also failing to get to the net? It seems like they just try to float to the area besides the net, and passes never make it through

• Haha 1

Not sure i will be able part take in any hockey watching I will be at the Lake house till Sunday afternoon.

Maybe I can catch the game once I get back home Sunday night.

However I will be supporting them by drinking a lot of bourbon while enjoy the time with the family.

Go Flyers!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

so does pinching a mondo dook; which surprisingly

has a lot in common with how they are playing right now.

I digress!

Thanks for the analysis. Is it just me, or are they also failing to get to the net? It seems like they just try to float to the area besides the net, and passes never make it through

Re: getting to the net. I agree: to a man, not enough. I do see wisdom in multiple guys not getting all tied up in front of the net, trapped as it were, but yeah get thee to the net should be part of the key messages to the boys if I'm AV.

Edited by Podein25
  • Like 1

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I'm calling Game 3 for the Flyers on account of I will be rocking the "Sanheim" t-shirt courtesy of @mkscrewy (sorry man, people deserve to know). 

I will also be completely blasted on bourbon, so I won't care when they blow a 3-0 lead again and lose in OT on an offside goal.

Trust The Bourbon

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I will also be completely blasted on bourbon

Which one i will be enjoying Blanton.

I would post a picture of it but I have enjoyed to much already and I can't figure how to do it on my cell phone.

I actually like the fact we had a few days off in this series!......(DO NOT like the reason of course).

I'm hoping the Flyers come out with a fresh "approach" to the Isles and Hart is ready to ROCK! Basically we're playing a 5 game series now.... Clean slate in a way.

LETS GO FLYERS!

BLACK LIVES MATTER!

5 hours ago, MaineFlyFan said:

I actually like the fact we had a few days off in this series!......(DO NOT like the reason of course).

I'm hoping the Flyers come out with a fresh "approach" to the Isles and Hart is ready to ROCK! Basically we're playing a 5 game series now.... Clean slate in a way.

LETS GO FLYERS!

BLACK LIVES MATTER!

go flyers

BLUE LIVES MATTER!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

BLUE LIVES MATTER!

Tony, Al and Mike are sitting down for dinner.  Plates of food are set down in front of Mike and Al.  Tony says "But Tony is hungry also!"  Mike and Al, with food in front of them, declare "We're all hungry!"  They eat and then they shoot Tony.

Maybe you want to rethink your narrative or develop some empathy.

Edited by TedZep
  • Like 2

I still say this team plays a period and then looks gassed.  Physically, mentally, not sure which, but they just can't keep up.  This is the 9th playoff game & I can't remember a full game effort yet.  Heck, I'll take a 2/3 effort at this point.

They're getting embarrassed, but thanks to Carter Hart these games aren't blowouts.

2 minutes ago, eleven24 said:

I still say this team plays a period and then looks gassed.  Physically, mentally, not sure which, but they just can't keep up.  This is the 9th playoff game & I can't remember a full game effort yet.  Heck, I'll take a 2/3 effort at this point.

They're getting embarrassed, but thanks to Carter Hart these games aren't blowouts.

yep, I’d say out of 8 periods of hockey the flyers have been soundly outplayed for 6 of them. Hart is the only reason this is a series but he isn’t going to steal it for us.

23 minutes ago, trevluk said:

Anyone else think they should have challenged the goal as offsides??

The last time the Islanders were demonstrably offsides, the officials ignored the evidence and gave the Flyers a penalty instead.  I guess it made them gun shy.

14 minutes ago, trevluk said:

yep, I’d say out of 8 periods of hockey the flyers have been soundly outplayed for 6 of them. Hart is the only reason this is a series but he isn’t going to steal it for us.

Exactly , we were also outplayed by Montreal. From the looks of things , nothing is changing. We are not winning this series. So let’s start discussing how in gods name we are gonna improve the team for next season. Giroux, Voracek and JVR are not going to step up their games and their skills will continue to diminish. So we can’t count on them to provide the offense moving forward.We need a couple of ringers on this team to provide the offense. So barring a UFA signing and unloading a big contract, I guess we have to hope that  Patrick, Lindblom and Frost can step in and and provide some speed , scoring and puck skills. It’s wishful thinking that three young guys , one without  a lot of experience , one recovering from cancer and one with migraines are gonna come in and light it up, but other than those guys, we don’t really have any other offensively skilled prospects who are NHL ready . Konecny , Aube Kubel and Farabee  also have to take the next step in their games. Other than that , I do not see any offensive spark coming from anywhere else, unless the Swedish kid we signed turns out to be an offensive dynamo . As LT Colonel Trautman said...It’s over Johnny.

• Like 2