Round 2: Flyers vs Islanders Thread

pilldoc

Just now, mkscrewy said:

well I'm sorry the Sanheim shirt didn't do it, but the shirt cannot be blamed for the team wanting to play 20 minutes and 30 seconds of the game.

Yeah, not my fault. Lots of fault to go around. I'm losing faith lol

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

I must be smoking cursed peyote to think the Flyers give this little bit of a ****

It ain't looking good.

Flyers are 7-22 all-time in best-of-seven series when down 2-1.

I'm at a loss for words to describe what has happened to this team.

Edited by OccamsRazor
Trust The Bourbon!!!!

"It was 1-1, 25 seconds left into the [second] period, faceoff in the offensive zone, put my top players on the ice — top line, top D pair — and to give up that late goal, you just can't do that at this time of the year," Vigneault said postgame in a video interview.

• Like 1

Greetings:

This was a systems mini-failure:

1. Carter looked a little less Carter-like than usual.  

2. Once again, Pitlick seemed like one of the few forwards who came to play or perhaps keep pace with an Islander club operating several gears faster than anything we could muster.

3.  Our top line is invisible. It's worse than giving up the late second goal.  They are not taking the war to the enemy.  I might even say, ala Pogo, they are the enemy...

4.  The O & B seemed energized for the first 10 minutes. Then they fizzled.  This reminded me of some our poor showings against Carolina, TB, or Columbus in recent years.  We get skated around and through. It was tough to watch. The end result wasn't a shock. 

Edited by Howie58
typo

6 hours ago, CoachX said:

I'm not sure I'm even going to watch what's left of this series. This is worse than having a team that just sucks

Worst collapse I've witnessed

I mean, probably not but I hear you.   It's frustrating. 

10 hours ago, CoachX said:

I'm not sure I'm even going to watch what's left of this series. This is worse than having a team that just sucks

Worst collapse I've witnessed

Is it worse than than the Devils taking advantage of the fact that the Flyers had no right hand shooting defenseman the last time the Flyers actually won a series in the playoffs the series before.

You could be right it's just harder to remember 8 years ago over just last night.

Is it possible for another team in another series to actually win the series without their star players being their star players? Am I just forgetting it has/can be done?

46 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Is it worse than than the Devils taking advantage of the fact that the Flyers had no right hand shooting defenseman the last time the Flyers actually won a series in the playoffs the series before.

You could be right it's just harder to remember 8 years ago over just last night.

Is it possible for another team in another series to actually win the series without their star players being their star players? Am I just forgetting it has/can be done?

that's never happened,  the blues last year had no star players but had good players that stepped up, that's the difference between us and them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Barzal, Beauvilier and Lee are doing their jobs, our top guys are not. Even when we keep them from scoring , every time they are on the ice , they control the puck, like they are on a PP ,they create chances and have us on our heels. That eventually wears us down and we collapse. We do not have anyone that is an offensive wizard and a constant threat like Barzal. Konecny is the closest we have and he fell asleep for the playoffs. We have known this for years and we have drafted some good skill players like Konecny , Frost and Farabee,  but we had a potential offensive dynamo Cole Caufiled  fall into our laps and we passed him up. The dman we drafted and Brink are good picks, Caufiled has that elite skating ability that Brink does not. We need to get a game breaker who can turn a game around with one spectacular play. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

but we had a potential offensive dynamo Cole Caufiled  fall into our laps and we passed him up. The dman we drafted and Brink are good picks, Caufiled has that elite skating ability that Brink does not. We need to get a game breaker who can turn a game around with one spectacular play. 

You're just plain wrong about this. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Barzal, Beauvilier and Lee are doing their jobs, our top guys are not. Even when we keep them from scoring , every time they are on the ice , they control the puck, like they are on a PP ,they create chances and have us on our heels. That eventually wears us down and we collapse. We do not have anyone that is an offensive wizard and a constant threat like Barzal. Konecny is the closest we have and he fell asleep for the playoffs. We have known this for years and we have drafted some good skill players like Konecny , Frost and Farabee,  but we had a potential offensive dynamo Cole Caufiled  fall into our laps and we passed him up. The dman we drafted and Brink are good picks, Caufiled has that elite skating ability that Brink does not. We need to get a game breaker who can turn a game around with one spectacular play. 

Well all I know is they better show up tonight or it's a wrap.

So in 16 games the Flyers have scored 9 goals.

Very sad. I can't remember if that stat is right i looked it up last night...I was hoping I was just drunk and dreaming.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well all I know is they better show up tonight or it's a wrap.

So in 16 games the Flyers have scored 9 goals.

Very sad. I can't remember if that stat is right i looked it up last night...I was hoping I was just drunk and dreaming.

this is why i stated this is the biggest collapse Ive witnessed, involving a Philly team.

Hottest (best) team at the break. Best in round robin, abysmal in playoffs. Tk and G, ZERO goals. Coots with ONE

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

this is why i stated this is the biggest collapse Ive witnessed, involving a Philly team.

Hottest (best) team at the break. Best in round robin, abysmal in playoffs. Tk and G, ZERO goals. Coots with ONE

Yep that and their save vet D man Niskanen and Braun have been borderline average at best.

Braun i expected to be waaay better defending in his own end for a stay at home type has been very weak and erratic.

Let's remember that we struggled against a team that would not have made the playoffs under normal circumstances.  The round robin was a "warm up" that may have been misleading.  I agree with RJ that we have no "put the fear of God" players on offense.  We draft and/or trade for "solid" players with good "hockey IQ" but our power play and offense seem ineffective.

I will hold off on "post mortems" until the season ends but we are getting some clear indicators in this series of what we are facing down the road.  Fletcher stabilized the D with Braun and Niskanen.  That helped.  AV gets the most of what he has.  But that may not have been enough to get us into the "Elite" of the league, and sadly, our top line is probably aging out as we speak.  Not good.

Tonight's game is important on a lot of fronts but the most important may be what it says about '20-'21.

6 hours ago, Podein25 said:

You're just plain wrong about this. 

Elaborate please, which part , not having a aBarzal type of guy? Caulfield being a better skater than Brink. Needing a game breaker ? All of the above?

Edited by RonJeremy

Surprise roster adjustment for the Flyers just announced on NBCSN.  Is Oscar Lindblom going to play?

EDIT:  Maybe not in the lineup.  But he did take warmup with the team.  They said he took warmup after the Game 2 loss to the Habs and it sparked the team.  Hoping for the same effect!

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

Tonight's game is important on a lot of fronts but the most important may be what it says about '20-'21.

I'm honestly quite curious about this. It's pretty clear Fletch expects this team to compete in the short term -- right now, not in 3-4-5 years via some sort of rebuild. In short, I don't think he's looking for any kind of major shake up. That said, the problem with these playoffs has been about the team's top guns simply not getting it done at all (i.e. requiring a major shake up). So now we've possibly got a situation where what the team really needs is something the GM is unlikely to provide.

Giroux has a NMC and a young family in a city he's now lived in for his entire professional career. Moving him would be a task that isn't without notable hurdles. Beyond him, Voracek seems the most likely to go regardless of what happens this year, whether in a trade or to Seattle or whatever. I have strong doubts he remains in an O&B jersey next season. 

But what does Fletch get in return for guys like that? Does it get us Point? Mackinnon? Pastrnak? Barzal? Does it replace our team with a top six that doesn't seem slow as molasses and largely incapable of throwing a hit to save their lives?

And yeah, I know they're in the second round of the playoffs. But I'll be honest here, they hardly seemed the juggernaut in their series vs MTL -- a team that was 24th overall in the league -- and they can barely get a half dozen shots in a period now vs the Isles. 

And if they happen to have some next gear they have yet to tap into, they better figure it out pronto...

If anyone wants some sort of silver lining... I hear a similarly downtrodden set of top guns out in Dallas have actually found a way to play some good hockey again.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1

I've said it before, but the flaw in Hextall's approach was not in relying on draft picks, it was believing that the draft picks were going to be ready on a timeline where Giroux, Simmonds , and Voracek were going to be able to play on a high level.

Edited by SCFlyguy