Round 2: Flyers vs Islanders Thread

pilldoc

We have no sustained attack and they move out of their zone 1,2,3 every time... and then Barzal holds onto the puck and skates circles around us. It looks like years ago when Mario Lemieux used to dominate us.

Edited by RonJeremy
cause we stink

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

If anyone wants some sort of silver lining... I hear a similarly downtrodden set of top guns out in Dallas have actually found a way to play some good hockey again.

Greetings:

I think Fletcher was brought in to be a man-of-action and wake up the franchise.  I think he has done that.  

Maybe V and G have turnarounds in the next year. Maybe they don't.  My concern is that we seem to have a first line that just doesn't match up well these days.  I would love to see a turnaround.  But time goes in one direction.  

Meanwhile, I just saw a scoreless first thanks to Moose--the Isles had 18 shots; we had 7.  As I said last night, there are "speed/skill" squads (TB, CBS, Carolina) we have a tough time with.  I am not saying we are incompetent.  But our ability to make hay in the offensive zone seems impaired.  We don't do well on PP.  And we can't finish.  During the Hakstol Era, we frequently outshot but underscored the opponent.  Now we have scoring droughts.  I think there's a pattern.  We need a Suzuki or two and hope that healthy Oskar and Nolan provide some punch. 

17 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

I think Fletcher was brought in to be a man-of-action and wake up the franchise.  I think he has done that.  

Maybe V and G have turnarounds in the next year. Maybe they don't.  My concern is that we seem to have a first line that just doesn't match up well these days.  I would love to see a turnaround.  But time goes in one direction.  

Meanwhile, I just saw a scoreless first thanks to Moose--the Isles had 18 shots; we had 7.  As I said last night, there are "speed/skill" squads (TB, CBS, Carolina) we have a tough time with.  I am not saying we are incompetent.  But our ability to make hay in the offensive zone seems impaired.  We don't do well on PP.  And we can't finish.  During the Hakstol Era, we frequently outshot but underscored the opponent.  Now we have scoring droughts.  I think there's a pattern.  We need a Suzuki or two and hope that healthy Oskar and Nolan provide some punch. 

Its Pathetic,  we cant get near the net, we cant create any plays, we have no creativity, we cant even hit the net when we get a chance, and we cant play a physical game either. They are passing the puck at will and creating so many quality chances.It actually reminds me of back in the day when the Buffalo Sabres skated circles around us in the playoffs. 

Greetings:

A heat map of shots made vs. score tells a lot about this game and series.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/philadelphia-flyers-new-york-islanders-2020083012/

We outshot them 38 to 33, but we had two long distance bombs make via screen/good deflection.  Moose faced difficult chances.  Turnovers aside, we were not in Greiss's face that much.  Without Moose's first, this could have been a lot worse. We needed a 6 on 5 to get our second.  Yikes. 

I agree with Boosh that our first line may have had its best game in this series, if not the playoffs.  But there was no payoff.

There is little more to say.  Again--the outshoot but underscore has been a theme of this team for the last few years.  But, as is the case in many things, quantity doesn't always equal quality, and Greiss did his job. 

• Uggh... 1

Never watched the 3rd. I just knew they would lose it figured I would go watch something with the wife. Glad I chose right.

This is the strangest playoffs i can remember watching from the Flyers and I'm not talking about because of covid-19.

It will be over soon and they can go golfing...

I said it at the beginning of the game, but putting in Moose in what was essentially a must win game?   Grant at the end of the game?  Thompson seemingly way too much?   

Been sometimes I've questioned the coaching however that's not the reason for the loss.   I'm not sure what happened but I'd like to see the stats on controlled carry vs dump ins.  Just feels like that's the game plan... Chip and chase.   Meanwhile the Isles have control nearly every time it feels.  

10 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

they have to upgrade in the offseason and try their hardest to get rid of v and g, if g and v and the young players struggle the team will be in the lottery next year, they are not the same players and i dont know if the rookies are going repeat their performances, that's a dangerous game they are playing if they dont get rid of them.

Edited by tucson83

Last night could have gone either way. The Flyers generated scoring chances throughout the game, the Islanders have gotten a lot of puck breaks, that I can admit are of their making, but pucks hitting skates in the crease, unfortunate bounces off of goalie sticks, goals that squib in or find holes through sweaters...the Islanders have good players who are playing with confidence, their opportunistic style is working. They have players with speed and guys with size, they are a well built team. That is beatable. 

If the Flyers play the next game in a similar fashion to game 4 there is no reason they can't win. If they play 3 more games similarly to game 4 there is no reason they can't with those either.

Please feel free to call me a homer or whatever, ****'s not over yet. 

In the race to be right on the internet everyone is quick to abandon hope- well being right and being able to say " I told you so" is a hollow victory, I know no one really enjoys.  I was the kid still willing to fight you when we were losing 15-3. So 

My largest gripe is why haven't they Flyers played more games in this series like game 4 ? 

The Islanders will succumb to pressure, they have guys who if they get a seam can beat you, I know it's hard to not "worry " about that happening, If the boys keep the forechecking pressure, the Islanders can be beaten. They almost had them last night. 

I'm going to cheer for the boys on Tuesday, regardless. This season was a big step forward for this team. They won a playoff series. 

Without their full quiver, there are good players in pipeline. I think the Flyers are on the rise.

I predicted Islanders in 6, so I expect the Flyers to win next game and lose in Gm 6.

The Islanders are playing and winning exactly the way they always do and I expected them to.  They always play hard with a high motor and forecheck you like crazy.  They are great in transition.  On D they give up a ton of shots but not many from the dangerous areas and they control the middle of the ice and front of the net. They were one of the best teams in hockey until they got hit with injuries on their D that healed during the break.  We had trouble with them all year and all the contortions why that wasn't going to matter now were laughable.

2 hours ago, tucson83 said:

they have to upgrade in the offseason and try their hardest to get rid of v and g, if g and v and the young players struggle the team will be in the lottery next year, they are not the same players and i dont know if the rookies are going repeat their performances, that's a dangerous game they are playing if they dont get rid of them.

I am not arguing against trading G and V in the offseason, but I guaranty if the Flyers do they will be in the lottery, because nothing that will help them next year or replace their production will be coming back in the trade.

The Flyers' best hope for next year is that (1) G and V and Hayes don't take big steps back next year, (2) Konecny. Lindblom, and/or Patrick (yeah, right) find another gear, (3) Sanheim and Myers take another step, (4) Hart gets a bit more consistent, and (5) one of their prospects, such as Frost, explodes.

Unfortunately I think they're going to find themselves in the middle of being good enough but not good enough.

The good thing is I think Pittsburgh and Washington are due to take big steps back.

14 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Elaborate please, which part , not having a aBarzal type of guy? Caulfield being a better skater than Brink. Needing a game breaker ? All of the above?

Caufields a better skater than Brink , yes. He does not have "elite skating ability". If he did he'd easily be a top 5 pick. Brinks skating is bad, that's why he fell to the 2nd round. Caufield is not Barzal. He's a shooter. That's his elite skill. 

35 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I'm going to cheer for the boys on Tuesday, regardless. This season was a big step forward for this team. They won a playoff series. 

Without their full quiver, there are good players in pipeline. I think the Flyers are on the rise.

I'm with you on this.  I wish they were able to continue flying high like the round robin but their game has escaped them.  Assuming the get bounced in 6, they accomplished what they were predicted to.   All the kids take a step forward next year and start to replace the production of the aging vets.  If they can move one of G or Jake for a decent return I would be okay with it.   If they can move JVR or anything, I'd be happy with it.