Round 2: Flyers vs Islanders Thread

pilldoc

13 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

because nothing that will help them next year or replace their production will be coming back in the trade.

It doesn't have to be replace by whatever comes back in a trade.

Giroux put up 24 goals and Jake 12. So what are we talking about 120 points.

It can be done folks said the same thing about replacing Schenn and his production.

They just need whoever comes in to be productive and try their best to replace those guys...could be someone is the trade, someone signed in the off-season or even a kid like Frost and a Wade Allison type.

It can be done however I don't think Chuckles would have the balls to move those two. Much less one of them. 

I think Grant and Thompson might be gone.

I hope Braun is gone and who knows Ghost can be used to fetch something nice in return. Whatever they are they also don't have to immediately play to be considered a good return.

So many options to take place this off-season anything we say now is merely guessing.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I'm going to cheer for the boys on Tuesday, regardless.

I will be too.

I would love for another shocker come back like they had in 2010.

Besides I really don't want to cut my nice playoff beard I have going for the boys.

We know this group always plays better with their backs against the wall. Well it's there now.

Let's see them empty the barrels.

I really really wanted to see them keeping winning so hopefully we could see Lindblom back out there.

56 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Caufields a better skater than Brink , yes. He does not have "elite skating ability". If he did he'd easily be a top 5 pick. Brinks skating is bad, that's why he fell to the 2nd round. Caufield is not Barzal. He's a shooter. That's his elite skill. 

Isn’t a elite shooter , a shoot first guy, with some good skating ability exactly what we can use ?  Or do we prefer guys like Voracek who hold onto the puck forever and try to skate through four guys before finally deciding to attempt a shot.

i am not saying we made bad picks in that draft, overall having the two guys instead of Caufiled might work out. It justi seems we never go for a pure offensive skill player,  or a prolific goal scorer, we mostly choose the two way player in the draft. When we got Kevin Hayes, it  was a great pickup for us,  but we kind of already have a similar player in Coots. Panarin is exactly the type of dynamic player we do not have, I know he didn’t want to come to Philly. I just think that we do not  build our team properly, if you have playmakers like G and  Voracek, then you need a finisher on that line. Kubel is the closest thing to finisher that we have, he knows how to get open and doesn’t hesitate to shoot, everyone else is looking to pass. With our lack of offense they should have put him on the first line and split Up G and  V. Try anything, but we stick with the same underachieving combinations.

People always say, oh the Isles are not a good matchup for us, that’s because our team is not properly balanced, they have a perfect mixture of size, toughness, speed and skill, we do not. They outhit us, out skated us and out scored us. The amount of quality shots they got compared to us was insane. Their fluid puck movement, give and go, cycle out , drop passes, etc made us look like amateurs. They take their passes in full stride and set up beautiful plays.We have guys bunched up ,no creativity , taking  passes flat footed, poor positioning, etc. I really believe there is a lack of chemistry and proper balance on this team up front. 

Let’s face it ,Lou Lamarillo has done it to us again , he knows how to build a team around the existing core he has. I haven’t watched the Isles much and had no idea how good they are, and they still have Wahlstrom and Dobson coming up, they are gonna be a big problem for us in the upcoming seasons. I think we need to take a page out of  Lamarillos  book and build a team with the proper pieces that fit , and look at what our weak spots are and attempt to put the puzzle together with chemistry in mind. Look at your roster and figure out who would fit with for example Coots and Giroux or Konecny and Linblom. To me ,we have too many incomplete lines. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Elaborate please, which part , not having a aBarzal type of guy? Caulfield being a better skater than Brink. Needing a game breaker ? All of the above?

Caulfield has not played a single game in the NHL. So the problem with the current Flyer team is not that they didn't draft Cole Caulfield. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Caulfield has not played a single game in the NHL. So the problem with the current Flyer team is not that they didn't draft Cole Caulfield. 

I know that, Neither ha e a lot of players who were drafted.  A draft is based on talent, potential and what your team needs, you draft to fill a gap. I used him as an example that we could use a finisher and a potential  finisher happened to be available and we didn’t take him. One of the problems with the current team and past teams is , we can’t finish around the net. So like drafting any player , there is no guarantee he will be great, but if he was potentially the best goal scorer available and had good speed, why draft a guy that can’t skate, when lack of speed is one of our problems. You have to start somewhere , sure it wouldn’t help us now,  it it would in a couple of years.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

It doesn't have to be replace by whatever comes back in a trade.

Giroux put up 24 goals and Jake 12. So what are we talking about 120 points.

It can be done folks said the same thing about replacing Schenn and his production.

They just need whoever comes in to be productive and try their best to replace those guys...could be someone is the trade, someone signed in the off-season or even a kid like Frost and a Wade Allison type.

It can be done however I don't think Chuckles would have the balls to move those two. Much less one of them. 

I think Grant and Thompson might be gone.

I hope Braun is gone and who knows Ghost can be used to fetch something nice in return. Whatever they are they also don't have to immediately play to be considered a good return.

So many options to take place this off-season anything we say now is merely guessing.

we have too many guys that are not shooters, that's the problem with this team, it's what hextall and homer build this team based on grit and defense and not speed and shooting. the bigger problem is that if the team takes complete 180 to the tank then you know hextall has set this team to fail with the lack of shooters which im guessing fletch is trying to do the opposite of what hextall is trying to build.

check Johnny Gudreaus playoff numbers, or Claud 28 playoff stats, or Konecknys numbers. Todays NHL playoffs are not little guy friendly, so I will pass on Caufield. Our best chance is Patrick and Lindblom returning healthy and finding some more like them by draft or FA. This was a great turn around season but it is obvious what this team lacks. Fletch needs to manage his assets to the max going forward. 

Has Patrick tried microdosing psychedelic mushrooms yet? They'd probably fix his head right up. It legit worked for one of my employees. He also has been inventing a ton of crazy yo-yo tricks, trying to relive his childhood dream of being a professional youtube yo-yo master (this is also legit). Since there's no money in it, I know his dreams are stupid and futile and he will be forced to work for me until I say you're fired.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

3 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

check Johnny Gudreaus playoff numbers, or Claud 28 playoff stats, or Konecknys numbers. Todays NHL playoffs are not little guy friendly, so I will pass on Caufield. Our best chance is Patrick and Lindblom returning healthy and finding some more like them by draft or FA. This was a great turn around season but it is obvious what this team lacks. Fletch needs to manage his assets to the max going forward. 

What about Barzal, he is not big at all,  he is dominating our team. We already drafted a guy as small as Caufield, Bobby Brink. There is nothing wrong with having a small guy as long as he isnt a softie, JVR is a 98lb soyboy trapped in a man's body. Konecny is tougher than him.If you balance your team out with the proper combination of size, speed and skill, the small guys will have room to operate , who is gonna touch Barzal, you cant even catch him and he has Matt Martin to protect him. 

I don't know if Fletcher's going to blow it up, but you can bet that someone or a few are going to be made examples of. I expect that Voracek and van Riemsdyk are going to be shopped hard and that they'll take pennies on the dollar to prove a point that no one is safe. 

The issue that I see with the Flyers is that there seems to be a lack of leadership amongst the players and that the guy you expect to hold everyone accountable aka the captain, is not that kind of verbal guy. It's been said on numerous occasions that Giroux is the silent leader and leads by example. This team needs a heart and soul kind of guy who isn't afraid to call the team out when they aren't performing. And that's exactly what we're witnessing - this team is under performing and everyone in that locker room should be embarrassed. It happened under Laviolette, Berube, Hakstol and now Vigneault. While Hak was trash, we're seeing a pattern emerge. When your big guns go silent and turn in putrid performances, someone needs to be called out and the captain has to do it. 

Now, I like Giroux. I really do and I'm not blaming this entirely on him. But as captain, part of your job is to hold everyone accountable. As much as I hated the guy, this team needs a Primeau type of leader who will hold his accountable and get everyone on the same page. And I don't see anyone like that. That should be Fletcher's mission this offseason - leadership and bringing in someone who will hold this club accountable. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2

16 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I don't know if Fletcher's going to blow it up, but you can bet that someone or a few are going to be made examples of. I expect that Voracek and van Riemsdyk are going to be shopped hard and that they'll take pennies on the dollar to prove a point that no one is safe. 

The issue that I see with the Flyers is that there seems to be a lack of leadership amongst the players and that the guy you expect to hold everyone accountable aka the captain, is not that kind of verbal guy. It's been said on numerous occasions that Giroux is the silent leader and leads by example. This team needs a heart and soul kind of guy who isn't afraid to call the team out when they aren't performing. And that's exactly what we're witnessing - this team is under performing and everyone in that locker room should be embarrassed. It happened under Laviolette, Berube, Hakstol and now Vigneault. While Hak was trash, we're seeing a pattern emerge. When your big guns go silent and turn in putrid performances, someone needs to be called out and the captain has to do it. 

Now, I like Giroux. I really do and I'm not blaming this entirely on him. But as captain, part of your job is to hold everyone accountable. As much as I hated the guy, this team needs a Primeau type of leader who will hold his accountable and get everyone on the same page. And I don't see anyone like that. That should be Fletcher's mission this offseason - leadership and bringing in someone who will hold this club accountable. 

I think it is really hard on Giroux to really be vocal and hold everyone accountable when he only has one goal in the last 26 playoff games.

And he knows everyone knows that.

So if he could just get the monkey off his back it may open the flood gates...otherwise they're doomed.

Edited by OccamsRazor
Trust The Bourbon!!!!

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think it is really hard on Giroux to really be vocal and hold everyone accountable when he only has one goal in the last 26 playoff games.

And he knows everyone knows that.

So if he could just get the monkey off his back it may open the flood gates...otherwise they're doomed.

We had the same problem with Lindros that we have with Giroux, just because someone is your best and highest paid player does not mean he should be Captain. Neither of them are natural leaders , Clarke, Poulin, Primeau and Pronger , BrindAmor, those are guys who exhibit the traits of a  true Captain. Hard workers with leadership skills.

5 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

We had the same problem with Lindros that we have with Giroux, just because someone is your best and highest paid player does not mean he should be Captain. Neither of them are natural leaders , Clarke, Poulin, Primeau and Pronger , BrindAmor, those are guys who exhibit the traits of a  true Captain. Hard workers with leadership skills.

I don't remember Lindros not showing up in the playoffs. In fact I know he didn't go 26 games with only one goal. Back then the main problem was the team had only one dominant line and Brindy.

7 hours ago, Podein25 said:

What's everybody drinking? 

Oh, sorry, is it not game day yet? What day is it?

Oh dear, I guess I got a *very* early start...

Go Flyers!

Trust The Bourbon!

Won't be drinking tonight on a 4 days stretch of working. Besides if I started I may fall in.

9 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I don't disagree that there is some sort of leadership/effort issue, but a far bigger issue is that the team just doesn't have as much talent was we thought.  G, V and Hayes are decent players at this point, but none of them are game breakers.  Our D has a lot of potential but is still kind of raw.  We have to hope one of our young guns turns into a star (not sure who this would be other than Frost) and our D takes another step.

Edited by SCFlyguy

Wade Allison is the power forward they need with a deadly shot but he is a year or two away because he needs some seasoning in the AHL and some time to put some more muscle on his 6-2 frame. I hope they don't rush him due to their need now.

I'm not sure why you would want to wait another year to move this core. What wait till Giroux has only one goal in 34 playoff games before doing something?

They got lucky stealing the #1 seed and the 12th seed almost sent them home.

They won't get that lucky again not sure why wait till the pieces you want to move have lost even more value.

It's not a easy decision to make but you need to make the best choices for the team moving forward in their goal to win a Cup.

I can't see all the pieces being moved but I think it certainly comes down to moving one of Giroux, JVR or Jake. Their salary can be used else where on the roster. Maybe even help sign a better backup goalie.

Giroux would be the hardest to move due to his NMC but I certainly put all 3 on the block and take the best offer.

Edited by OccamsRazor
It's not personal it's business!
  • Like 1