Round 2: Flyers vs Islanders Thread

pilldoc

15 minutes ago, trevluk said:

I missed the explanation as to why our first 3rd goal was not actually a goal, can anyone fill me in? The puck was clearly stuck on the goalie pad and over the line.

per NHL rules....

In the event that a goalkeeper has been pushed into the net together with the puck by an attacking player after making a stop, the goal will be disallowed. If applicable, appropriate penalties will be assessed. If, however, in the opinion of the Referee, the attacking player was pushed or otherwise fouled by a defending player causing the goalkeeper to be pushed into the net together with the puck, the goal can be permitted.
In the event that the puck is under a player in or around the crease area (deliberately or otherwise), a goal cannot be scored by pushing this player together with the puck into the goal.

Pitlick was seen pushing his stick into the pads of the goalie... therefore no goal.

it was the correct call

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

do you see johnny g and jack eichel being that high caliber? because they are on the block i mean i dont know who else would that type of high caliber forward, not unless we have to get the jagr type of old player on this team until we find a young one somehow.

Eichel is definitely a top caliber player. I'm not sure we have what it takes to land a guy like him in a trade though.

This may be an unpopular opinion on a Flyers forum, but I'm not sold on Johnny Hockey. Not that he's bad by any stretch, but I don't see him as being much better than our current problematic core players. In fact, he strikes me as someone who is really quite similar to Giroux in a lot of ways. He likely would be too expensive for what he would bring. Just wait for free agency and see if he's willing to sign for his childhood team (if he's still productive at that point).

Eichel though, yeah definitely. I'd have to think a trade for Eichel -- if at all possible -- would need to include Giroux (and very likely Patrick) as a starting point, and I'm not convinced G would wave his NMC to play in a place like Buffalo. Does Patrick, Voracek, and a pick get it done? If so, i'd consider it for sure, but I highly doubt Buffalo would give an offer like that much thought unless there's something really sour between them and Eichel.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Great use of the prevent defense in the third, with a two goal lead

This one is on AV

Yes our third period prevent defense, it has prevented us from winning. Every time we get a lead, we try to sit on it and end up losing.

Edited by RonJeremy
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Great use of the prevent defense in the third, with a two goal lead

This one is on AV

Do you think at AV's direction, or the players being afraid to get caught deep therefore not being as aggressive on the forecheck?  Kind of a catch-22 there because the Flyers are at their best when they have 3 players rotating and swarming on the forecheck.  That's when they are dictating play.  Far too often in these playoffs it's one guy forechecking and the 2nd two forwards hanging at the blue line, or NZ.

Fear or coaches mandate?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It would have been nice to have put them away in regulation and not collapse.

But to be in this and still not have a power play goal...well I guess we'll have to just be happy with it.

I hope Coots isn't too hurt.

Hope not, but lets hope Barzal is out for the next 2 games. They certainly are not as dominant without him

Overall, a very good hockey game by the Flyers.  It was in total control until Hart let that blue line shot in.  7 min into the third the Isles had 16 shots AND 4 power plays.  

A few observations:

• The Flyers dictate play when they're aggressive on the forecheck & forcing opposing teams to turn the puck over.  When they aren't, they can't handle speed through the NZ and end up chasing / reacting to the other team in the DZ
  • Giroux was terrific.  The goal was much needed, but he deserved it.  3-4 great scoring chances tonight and was just visible in all areas of the ice.  That's the G we need going forward
  • Provorov looks lost at times.  It's unusual to see him NOT make the smart play, but he's really giving the puck up with bad decisions when not really being pressured 
  • TK was on his game.  A lot of loose puck retrievals, good vision to find open players, and speed tonight.
  • JVR is the broken clock that is right twice a day. 
  • Keith Jones is going overboard trying to hide his Flyers bias
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, eleven24 said:

Do you think at AV's direction, or the players being afraid to get caught deep therefore not being as aggressive on the forecheck?  Kind of a catch-22 there because the Flyers are at their best when they have 3 players rotating and swarming on the forecheck.  That's when they are dictating play.  Far too often in these playoffs it's one guy forechecking and the 2nd two forwards hanging at the blue line, or NZ.

Fear or coaches mandate?

Its happened in every game they have a lead. So I see it as a game strategy, therefore, a coach's call. Its also what AV is known for

11 hours ago, elmatus said:

Eichel is definitely a top caliber player. I'm not sure we have what it takes to land a guy like him in a trade though.

This may be an unpopular opinion on a Flyers forum, but I'm not sold on Johnny Hockey. Not that he's bad by any stretch, but I don't see him as being much better than our current problematic core players. In fact, he strikes me as someone who is really quite similar to Giroux in a lot of ways. He likely would be too expensive for what he would bring. Just wait for free agency and see if he's willing to sign for his childhood team (if he's still productive at that point).

Eichel though, yeah definitely. I'd have to think a trade for Eichel -- if at all possible -- would need to include Giroux (and very likely Patrick) as a starting point, and I'm not convinced G would wave his NMC to play in a place like Buffalo. Does Patrick, Voracek, and a pick get it done? If so, i'd consider it for sure, but I highly doubt Buffalo would give an offer like that much thought unless there's something really sour between them and Eichel.

fair enough, i dont know much about johnny hockey, if they somehow bring in eichel, fletch would be the best gm ever.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tucson83 said:

This may be an unpopular opinion on a Flyers forum, but I'm not sold on Johnny Hockey.

This acquisition would be on the premise of putting him on the second line with Hayes so they maybe cab recapture their old BU dominant days when he was in the running for the Hobey Baker.

Have a BU alum line.

Giroux - Coots - TK

Gaudreau - Hayes - Farabee

That was my idea.

His salary of 6.75 for two more years is very easy to fit in. However this would be with moving JVR or Jake too.

Just an idea.

Wow is this good or sad?

After tonight Carter Hart is top 10 all-time in #Flyers play-off wins. #1. Hextall: 45 #2. Parent: 35 #3. Boucher: 21 #4. Esche: 13 #5. Lindbergh: 12 #6. Peeters: 11 #7. Biron: 11 #8. Stephenson: 10 #9. Cechmanek: 9 #10. Hart:

Man if the Flyers could just get the dang power play going it could alieviate a lot of pressure on the whole team.

As of now they have the worst power play of any team left. Just not good enough.

It maybe time to try drastic measures to try and get it going like putting anyone on the damn thing.

• Like 1