Round 2: Flyers vs Islanders Thread

pilldoc

9 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I dont agree with AV challenging, because he lost. But I understand it, given the way the team has played. The Islanders didnt need much to turn the momentum their way, and after watching his team squander leads,  he had no choice

Its amazing that the Flyers seem to control the first periods, then hang on for dear life the rest of the game.

But hey, props to them, they bend but dont break, and are finding a way to stay alive

This is where I think conditioning has been an issue.  They look exhausted, but it's kind of catch-22 because you get exhausted running around trying to catch up with the puck.  Giroux looked totally wiped last night. He was stick on knees during play a few times.

16 minutes ago, CoachX said:

he had no choice

No. Giving them a power play was certainly going to change the momentum alright luckily Hart and the PK had something to say about it.

They had already scored one power play goal last night....

...now i could see Trotz think that saying "F**k the Flyer's power play they couldn't hit the ocean with the puck from the beach...."

#willtheflyerspowerplayeverscoreagain

20 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Its amazing that the Flyers seem to control the first periods, then hang on for dear life the rest of the game.

It is if they could harness whatever it is they played like in last nights first period game 7 would be theirs. Mind boggling.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, eleven24 said:

They look exhausted, but it's kind of catch-22 because you get exhausted running around trying to catch up with the puck.

And the Isles are so good trailing the play and then someone jumping in the passing lanes the Flyers just so easy to read on their passes.

It would be so nice if the Flyers players would quickly glance over their shoulders just to find the Isles players behind them yet out of their sight just waiting to jump the puck in the passing lane.

It seems the Flyers are telepathically telling them what they are going to do.

Just so predictable like their passes off the boards when trying to get the puck out their zone the Isles players just go to the boards just to knock the puck down and keep it in the zone.

I know the kids are young but Myers and Sanheim need to quickly try and work on their communication Isles have taken advantage of this a lot this series...yet they are fighting through it...all you can ask to learn quickly. They are gaining valuable playoff experience.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

First game in 265 days and then goes out and plays 17:30 total...inspiration for us all...

Lindblom had 17:30 of ice time and Hagg had just 20:14.  At the end of regulation Hagg had only 11.  At that point, and I know I keep beating on this drum, but with the PP so ineffective largely because it's predictable and can't enter the zone... just dress Ghost.

As for Oskar, all I kept thinking was man, this kid is being asked a lot from an endurance perspective to go a full 60 minute playoff elimination game for his first game back after battling cancer.  And then the game goes OT and he was still looking good.

Incredible inspiration.

• Like 1

Just now, Podein25 said:

So what are the chances that Coots can play on Saturday? He's better on one leg than most, so I'm assuming if he can skate at all on his knee that he will be in.

Hard to say depending on how bad the knee is and more than anything the amount of swelling from the injury...if they can get that down and he can where a brace after seeing him play that Penguin series with a torn MCL i could see him playing if they can't stop him.

However it would be really really nice to see the Flyers stop giving up the damn go ahead goal in the last 30 seconds of the 2nd period.

They have done it now twice in game 3 and game 6. Stop it fellas you're giving me a heart attack. That is all good day.

12 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

The guy who is flying under the radar Kevin Hayes with 4 goals 9 assists +8 in 15 games.

Leads the team in every category except goals which he is second in...imagine how good he will be when he gets in shape...

The Flyers don't have many players who will hold on to the puck and not panic.  Hayes is one of those guys, and it definitely slows the game down a bit to where everyone else can get in position for a pass as he's buying time.

The OT winner, I don't know if there's any other Flyer who would've held it until below the goal line and then tossed it back into the slot like he did.  Most everyone else would've thrown the puck on net from a bad angle and through traffic.  His patience is why the Flyers won that game.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Hard to say depending on how bad the knee is and more than anything the amount of swelling from the injury...if they can get that down and he can where a brace after seeing him play that Penguin series with a torn MCL i could see him playing if they can't stop him.

However it would be really really nice to see the Flyers stop giving up the damn go ahead goal in the last 30 seconds of the 2nd period.

They have done it now twice in game 3 and game 6. Stop it fellas you're giving me a heart attack. That is all good day.

Yeah I assume that if they can get the swelling down (the extra day off will clearly help with that), and he has a more or less normal range of motion and can get the brace on comfortably, he can play. I expect we will see him...

Re: the late goals. It's the long change in the 2nd period that does them in. I don't know how to fix that. It's hard to think never mind make plays when you're that tired. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah I assume that if they can get the swelling down (the extra day off will clearly help with that), and he has a more or less normal range of motion and can get the brace on comfortably, he can play. I expect we will see him...

My gut tells me he's done for a long time.  Swelling is something that can be managed, especially over 48 hours.  The same guy who played on an MCL tear a few years ago didn't dress last night.  To me that's very telling.

As for giving up goals late in periods and the long change... I'll go back to endurance.  I think the break hurt them in that regard.

Edited by eleven24

7 minutes ago, eleven24 said:

At the end of regulation Hagg had only 11.  At that point, and I know I keep beating on this drum, but with the PP so ineffective largely because it's predictable and can't enter the zone... just dress Ghost

Might be only 20 minutes but it may be the best game i have seen him play these playoffs...and what a bout the pass to set up the goal?

Two guys that make me the most nervous wear #44 and #61...so i might try Ghost and Hagg...

5 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I don't know how to fix that.

Xanax in the gatorade bottle they have to maintain their composure...and both times they have lost it with erratic defensive play in their own end...settle down boys...you should be use to this going for your 3rd elimination games in these playoffs...now the pressure is on the Isles to not choke...

15 minutes ago, eleven24 said:

with the PP so ineffective largely because it's predictable and can't enter the zone... just dress Ghost.

I agree 4 for 50 and none in this series is down right terrible. AV could use Ghost.

I would also try and bump Raffl and NAK's power play time two big strong bodies who are so good down low trying to get to some of these rebounds and please for the love of God cut Grant's power play time down or even out.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

All right folks got to get out and cut the grass while it is only 82 here...suppose to get up to 96 here today...don't want to be in that cutting.

Later......

REPORTED

(it was 7 degrees Celisus here this morning - that's ~45 F apparently)

15 minutes ago, eleven24 said:

I'll go back to endurance.  I think the break hurt them in that regard.

I disagree. I don't think any player can train for endurance so that they can routinely take 90 seconds plus shifts like that. I actually think they have to just ice it. Get the 10 seconds that buys you and win the faceoff. And do it again.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

JVR (!)

JVR has actually been one of the brighter spots this whole series. I have no idea how or why that would be, but he's been very noticeable offensively at least, which really isn't something I think I've ever thought about him since he's been back.

I mean, they're getting outplayed by a mile, and I agree AV is also being outcoached very badly. There's a lot to gripe about, including the way they seem to chase the puck and how they get hemmed in the d-zone while so rarely pressuring the Isles in a similar manner. Some of that is coaching, and I do think some of it is conditioning also.

If they manage to somehow pull off the miracle on Saturday, it will be about 90% because of goaltending. And that is a sentence I have not had a chance to utter in many many years.

Beyond Hart, Provorov has been beastly, and I've enjoyed watching Myers too. Hayes has also been very good, I just wish he had better finish. To me, he feels like an upgraded version of Raffl -- he does so many things well, but he remains challenged when it comes to finishing skill. Still, he's amazing at just being opportunistic and turning a defensive gaff into a scoring chance, which is pretty much the only way we're making any goals. So, in many ways, Hayes is probably our best hope for beating a team like the Isles in game 7.

TK to me has been disappointing. I mean, he can chirp all he wants, but if he's not backing up the chirps with solid play, it makes him seem frustrated and desperate. He's been outmuscled and outsmarted from the first puck drop. Hopefully he can find a way though. It would be a nice boon.

5 minutes ago, elmatus said:

JVR has actually been one of the brighter spots this whole series. I have no idea how or why that would be, but he's been very noticeable offensively at least, which really isn't something I think I've ever thought about him since he's been back.

I mean, they're getting outplayed by a mile, and I agree AV is also being outcoached very badly. There's a lot to gripe about, including the way they seem to chase the puck and how they get hemmed in the d-zone while so rarely pressuring the Isles in a similar manner. Some of that is coaching, and I do think some of it is conditioning also.

If they manage to somehow pull off the miracle on Saturday, it will be about 90% because of goaltending. And that is a sentence I have not had a chance to utter in many many years.

Beyond Hart, Provorov has been beastly, and I've enjoyed watching Myers too. Hayes has also been very good, I just wish he had better finish. To me, he feels like an upgraded version of Raffl -- he does so many things well, but he remains challenged when it comes to finishing skill. Still, he's amazing at just being opportunistic and turning a defensive gaff into a scoring chance, which is pretty much the only way we're making any goals. So, in many ways, Hayes is probably our best hope for beating a team like the Isles in game 7.

TK to me has been disappointing. I mean, he can chirp all he wants, but if he's not backing up the chirps with solid play, it makes him seem frustrated and desperate. He's been outmuscled and outsmarted from the first puck drop. Hopefully he can find a way though. It would be a nice boon.

Yeah JVR was good last night, and not just because he scored. 

I'm not sure what to do about the getting hemmed in all the time. Part of it is puck management and execution, which in theory can be fixed (unlike, say, conditioning at this point). Last night, in particular, there were several poor flips that didn't make it past the D-man. Those can be better executed.

But part of it is also personnel. Lack of mobility on the back end when Braun and Hagg are out there, so there's no first good pass, is a real problem and probably worth putting Ghost in just for that reason alone. But I dunno, the Isles are good and fast and well coached....