Round 2: Flyers vs Islanders Thread

pilldoc

40 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I disagree. I don't think any player can train for endurance so that they can routinely take 90 seconds plus shifts like that. I actually think they have to just ice it. Get the 10 seconds that buys you and win the faceoff. And do it again.

My 18yo son, watching the game with me turned last night and said "why doesn't someone hit the hot dog".  Now, being a hockey player himself he's obviously seen Youngblood, so this was a softball.

Because they can't catch him.

And that's how I've felt for long stretches in these playoffs.  It's been at times a flashback to  watching the slow lumbering Flyers getting torched by the speed of the high flying Sabres again.  

Thing is, this Flyers team is NOT a slow team, but speed can be different between teams.  The Islanders move the puck with speed.  This year the Flyers used their speed to take away time and space from their opponents, especially on the forecheck.  When the Flyers have been successful against NYI and MTL they pushed the forecheck forward.  When they haven't, they've been retreating to the NZ.

That's where I think maybe conditioning, because tired players won't be aggressive.  

I don't know.  Regardless, the Flyers got to game 7 and STILL have not played "their" game for 60 minutes.  That's all due to Carter Hart.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tucson83 said:

i know this is an overreaction but would anyone be open to trading tk for bigger younger talented winger like laine?

I don't think the Flyer fanbase would like Laine.  Even Winnipeg is getting frustrated with his inconsistency. 

I'm not sure where the TK angst is coming from because he looked really good to me in the last 2 games.

TK will give you way more effort game in, game out than Laine and I happen to like Laine because he has a rare scoring touch when given a proper centre.

• Good Post 1

Konecny is 23 years old.  He hasn't hit his prime and is just learning the ways of the playoffs.  Each of the last 3 years his point total has gone up.   The kid is really 'made to be a Flyers'.    We can't go trading everyone that is under performing.   In last two games he's been much better and has 3 points.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Post 1

48 minutes ago, eleven24 said:

My 18yo son, watching the game with me

Speaking of which I'm watching the game my 9 year old daughter is on the other far end of the couch on her tablet with headphones and not watching the game.

NAK goes to the box for the slashing call and I'm staring at the TV as I stand up to sip the Bourbon and as I do all I hear from her really loud because she has headphones on when they show NAK up close from the camera in the box "He's handsome!"....

...so I almost spit up my bourbon, which I didn't cause I'm a pro and I turned and told her dad doesn't need to hear that...go to your room!

Which I told her I was only joking and she didn't say anything else the rest of the game till the end when we won and she hugged me.

Which the coolest thing is she had my Provorov T-shirt on from the start of the game.

I don't buy jerseys anymore I just buy the T shirts with the Flyer logo on the front and the name and number on the back now.

In fact i haven't bought a jersey since Mike Richards i bought his last year before they traded him. Since then I feel like I jinxed it and haven't bought one since.

Ok back to cutting the yard came in for a drink of water....

Edited by OccamsRazor
Trust The Bourbon!!!!
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I know I wouldn't

Like I said, I like him, but he's got a Joe Thornton "hockey isn't everything" kind of philosophy which drives some people nuts.  

He's a rare talent, though.

But, if I can be so bold to say right here and right now:  Voracek is a better all-around player than Laine and we all know how popular Jake is with some people.

Edited by Clarke2Leach

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

No. Giving them a power play was certainly going to change the momentum alright luckily Hart and the PK had something to say about it

I see it different. A power play for the most part is slowed down and focused. Defenders aren't getting out skated. Hart is in a better position to win these battles. Its possible AV trusts his goalie more than his skaters

It seems the Flyers are telepathically telling them what they are going to do.

Just so predictable like their passes off the boards when trying to get the puck out their zone the Isles players just go to the boards just to knock the puck down and keep it in the zone

I agree completely with you on this. I also think this is the problem with the PP. It's so predictable that the PK can anticipate, making them get there faster and overwhelming with pressure

The guy who is flying under the radar Kevin Hayes with 4 goals 9 assists +8 in 15 games.

Leads the team in every category except goals which he is second in...imagine how good he will be when he gets in shape..

So what! He isnt worth the contract and will be useless in 5years

17 minutes ago, Clarke2Leach said:

Like I said, I like him, but he's got a Joe Thornton "hockey isn't everything" kind of philosophy which drives some people nuts.  

He's a rare talent, though.

But, if I can be so bold to say right here and right now:  Voracek is a better all-around player than Laine and we all know how popular Jake is with some people.

He is a rare talent. Best shot in the history of the game probably. But he's one dimensional and can be shut down as a result. I prefer real, complete players like Sean Couturier.

• Like 2

Get your flame throwers ready.

Contrary to a lot of opinions and the comments I’ve read, I think Nate Thompson is playing good.  He is put in mostly on defensive end starts, winning face offs, and forechecking hard.  He has beaten the Islanders defensemen to pucks dumped into the corners.  I think he is playing within himself, not trying to do too much, and his play is benefitting the Flyers.  He isn’t getting exposed.  And while he isn’t an offensive juggernaut, he still has more goals than TK.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe now is the appropriate time to point out that I was 100% correct is my assessment of the game. I said that if the Flyers score more goals than the Islanders, they would win

They did just that. Hail to my genius!

27 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Maybe now is the appropriate time to point out that I was 100% correct is my assessment of the game. I said that if the Flyers score more goals than the Islanders, they would win

They did just that. Hail to my genius!

id·i·ot sa·vant

noun

1. a person who has a mental or learning disability but is extremely gifted in a particular way, such as the performing of feats of memory or calculation

Your assessment fits in the calculation area.

🤣🤣
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I also forgot TK who I thought was decent.

He needs to figure out a way to stay upright on his skates...i lost count how many times he has fallen this series...after pretty much everything from taking a shot, turning passing, sneezing scratching his ass....then he falls on it...maybe a field sobriety test needs to be administered before every game.

I bet he falls as much as you in your beer league...well almost as much...game 7 we need to make it a drinking game.

Everytime TK falls take a shot/sip/chug whichever you prefer....

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Contrary to a lot of opinions and the comments I’ve read, I think Nate Thompson is playing good.

That's it first not knowing who the Dude is and now liking Nate the turnover machine...some let hf know someone has hijacked AFF's account...sounds like Rick is controlling his switchboard...

REPORTED!!!!!!

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I bet he falls as much as you in your beer league...well almost as much.

I'm the Brad Marsh of beer league hockey: I never fall down, except to block the odd pass or shot.

It's true about TK. It's partly because he plays with wild abandon, which is why he can be effective. But yeah...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I said that if the Flyers score more goals than the Islanders

It made my blood pressure shoot to the roof with Sanheim's lackadaisical play right before the end of the second when he turned the puck over from Brassard's pressure behind the net which lead to the Barzal go ahead goal.

I know the kid is young but Travis has to get his head out his ass on that one.

There is 35 seconds left on the clock he was better off doing his patented backhander around the boards than taking the puck out in front of the goal like that especially if you're going to play so soft on the damn puck...kid must get stronger when he has a chance to get in a gym...his skating is very solid but his upper body strength leaves a lot to be desired.

He needs to do some lift with NAK and learn how to put some strength on.

Thankfully they found a way to tie with the shortie by your second favorite Flyer..

...to get the blood pressure back down.

• Like 1