Round 2: Flyers vs Islanders Thread

pilldoc

28 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

He needs to figure out a way to stay upright on his skates...i lost count how many times he has fallen this series...after pretty much everything from taking a shot, turning passing, sneezing scratching his ass....then he falls on it...maybe a field sobriety test needs to be administered before every game.

I bet he falls as much as you in your beer league...well almost as much...game 7 we need to make it a drinking game.

Everytime TK falls take a shot/sip/chug whichever you prefer....

Maybe TK is trusting the bourbon

Or he's really Podein25

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sure...but you didn't help me with my dilemma....so which do i do save it or just get another bottle and kill it tonight.

Always, and I mean ALWAYS, buy another bottle

Oh, and....

Never take a laxative and sleeping pill at the same time

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

anheim's lackadaisical play right before the end of the second when he turned the puck over from Brassard's pressure behind the net which lead to the Barzal go ahead goal.

I know the kid is young but Travis has to get his head out his ass on that one.

His head was up his ass because he was looking for oxygen. I know, not the best place to probably be looking for oxygen, but there you have it: you make poor decisions and can no longer execute basic plays when you're brain and other muscles are starved of oxygen. 

So, once again it was symptom not cause.

It was the same with Myers's giveaway in Game 5 that had the Isles tie it and send to OT: Myers makes an ill-advised pass that is intercepted. In that case, he wasn't necessarily as tired as Sanheim was in your example, but his poor play was the symptom of other things. In this case, it was because his forwards gave him zero help, no outs, no good angles and he literally had no play but to flip it and he didn't flip it high enough. In short, there's lots of blame to go around on almost every goal against. It's a team game, probably the ultimate team game. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

His head was up his ass because he was looking for oxygen. I know, not the best place to probably be looking for oxygen, but there you have it: you make poor decisions and can no longer execute basic plays when you're brain and other muscles are starved of oxygen. 

Very well possible.

He had been on the ice for about a minute i just rewatched the play.

But in that sequence TK mad two not so hot plays.

The first ending a offensive zone entry by not getting the puck in better to Hayes and it went the other way quickly.

Then when Sanheim got the puck and got it up out the defensive zone to TK he got outplayed for the puck by Lee sending it back into the zone Hayes, JVR and TK went off on the line change.

Then for whatever reason Giroux and Jake took a long time getting back into the D zone to help out Laughton who had already came on for Hayes and Myers with Sanheim coraling the puck behind the net.

So yes it may have been tired but it was the perfect storm of fcuk ups that gave up the lead. I guess it is what it is. Live and learn from it.

At least they found a way to win it.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Very well possible.

The first ending a offensive zone entry by not getting the puck in better to Hayes and it went the other way quickly.

Then when Sanheim got the puck and got it up out the defensive zone to TK he got outplayed for the puck by Lee sending it back into the zone Hayes, JVR and TK went off on the line change.

Then for whatever reason Giroux and Jake took a long time getting back into the D zone to help out Laughton who had already came on for Hayes and Myers with Sanheim coraling the puck behind the net.

So yes it may have been tired but it was the perfect storm of fcuk ups that gave up the lead. I guess it is what it is. Live and learn from it.

I'd have to watch it, but most of what you are describing involves the challenges with the long change. Gone are the days when you could just "eat it" (that's what I used to yell from the bench when the boys were tired  and hemmed in): you could just fall on the puck and get a whistle.

I don't think the Flyers have managed the long change well at all. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Very well possible.

Somewhere in this sequence, Laughton had to do something wrong, right?

I mean, he had to. Work with me here. I need to justify my lunancy , I mean hostility

1 minute ago, CoachX said:

I mean, he had to. Work with me here. I need to justify my lunancy , I mean hostility

Lol. What are the origins of your irrational dislike of Scottie L? Were you one of the ones that wanted us to take Olli Maatta?

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Yes it's all his fault....fire his ass into the sun...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, CoachX said:

I dont agree with AV challenging, because he lost. But I understand it, given the way the team has played. The Islanders didnt need much to turn the momentum their way, and after watching his team squander leads,  he had no choice

I'm late to this, had a busy morning shooting business leaders...(they know what they did)I really thought I saw Carter barking at the bench to challenge. I think AV made that challenge in part because he trusts his goalie.  

I can't believe the entire staff didn't see Czikas getting driven into the net live, or on the the copious replays.

I think he did it to say "okay kid, I trust you" as much as anything. 

However he reached the decision to challenge, when he did it, Mrs Mojo says to me " has AV lost his goddamned mind?!?!" when Mrs Mojo breaks out the cuss words at our guys...**** has gone off the rails.  She generally saves that for opponents exclusively.

• Like 1

it looked to me in the first period they were pissed off and sending a message. Hayes was in Barzal's grille the whole time. Maybe it was pay back for Farabee, maybe it was Oscar, maybe strategy. But it was working. After the two goal lead, they went back to playing defense and got caught AGAIN. Pods may be right that they are gassed , and this is a conditioning problem. I think its more of a poor strategy against a team that can bring pressure in waves, from all lines

I think they need to take the fight to the Isles like the first period, if they can sustain that level of play

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

I'm late to this, had a busy morning shooting business leaders...(they know what they did)I really thought I saw Carter barking at the bench to challenge. I think AV made that challenge in part because he trusts his goalie.  

I can't believe the entire staff didn't see Czikas getting driven into the net live, or on the the copious replays.

I think he did it to say "okay kid, I trust you" as much as anything. 

However he reached the decision to challenge, when he did it, Mrs Mojo says to me " has AV lost his goddamned mind?!?!" when Mrs Mojo breaks out the cuss words at our guys...**** has gone off the rails.  She generally saves that for opponents exclusively.

Yeah it was mind boggling. I had the Canadian feed and none of the guys could believe he did it. It looked like he was influenced by Hart's reaction and possibly one of the other coaches because he seemed to change his mind at the last second having first dismissed it. 

By the way, that shift was an absolute horror show for Braun who I now mostly feel sorry for. I get really nervous when he is out there, AV has to shield his minutes more or something. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, elmatus said:

He's been outmuscled and outsmarted from the first puck drop.

This is my concern, puck luck is one thing and that can change but sometimes you can make up for it by hustle and make your own luck.

His play has been a huge disappointment this playoff run....i wonder if a goal will help him snap out the funk?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I really thought I saw Carter barking at the bench to challenge.

Wow i missed this.

It seems if that is the case so did Hart but damn someone on the bench should have seen this and advised against it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Hayes was in Barzal's grille the whole time.

And this worked so well but then they got away from it and it went sideways in the second.

The first period to me was the best period of hockey they have played the whole playoffs IMHO.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

By the way, that shift was an absolute horror show for Braun who I now mostly feel sorry for. I get really nervous when he is out there, AV has to shield his minutes more or something. 

He's getting worked over and has gotten caught puck watching the last 2 games. A. Lot.

I do like his compete level, but he's looking gassed. I know experience in the game 7 yada yada, I wouldn't mind seeing Freidman. Who plays with better pace and is a solid NHL defensman.  I don't see Braun's intangibles out weighing his performance which as you noted, has not been great. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Yes i agree Braun is one notch above Nick GrossmanN slow...it would sit his ass honestly and dress Ghost with Hagg.

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Freidman.

I wouldn't mind giving the kid a look i like his compete level and he sees the game pretty solid and makes simple smart plays with the puck as well is a solid skater very underrated puck skills we haven't seen him use much yet.

No way AV would give him a game 7 though. But i would go with Ghost and Hagg.

19 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

He's getting worked over and has gotten caught puck watching the last 2 games. A. Lot.

I do like his compete level, but he's looking gassed. I know experience in the game 7 yada yada, I wouldn't mind seeing Freidman. Who plays with better pace and is a solid NHL defensman.  I don't see Braun's intangibles out weighing his performance which as you noted, has not been great. 

15 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I wouldn't mind giving the kid a look i like his compete level and he sees the game pretty solid and makes simple smart plays with the puck as well is a solid skater very underrated puck skills we haven't seen him use much yet.

No way AV would give him a game 7 though. But i would go with Ghost and Hagg.

The problem is that AV doesn't trust Ghost so it almost doesn't matter how bad Braun is, he's still safer in AV's mind. So I expect to see Braun tomorrow night. It's too bad. It's not his fault, he's just old. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

The problem is that AV doesn't trust Ghost so it almost doesn't matter how bad Braun is, he's still safer in AV's mind. So I expect to see Braun tomorrow night. It's too bad. It's not his fault, he's just old. 

Yeah i figured this much i would love to see Ghost try and help this impotent power play to you know at least score one powerplay this series....just one. #babysteps

I think I'm beginning to see why AV can build a really good team, but hasn't been able to win the Cup.  The challenges are a fluke occurrence, but his personnel decisions are a bit too conservative.  From a player standpoint, his desire for robotic monotony of every line is why the Flyers are struggling to score. Braun, Grant, Thompson... robotic.  Ghost, Frost... dynamic.  

System wise, there were 3 instances last night where the Flyers lost an offensive zone face-off and the center who lost the draw moved forward to pressure the puck carrier and the wingers and d-men retreated to the neutral zone.  If that's not conservative, I don't know what is.  Certainly don't see the Islanders, or Montreal in the previous series, backing off and allowing the Flyers a free exit of the defensive end.  It's not as if the Isles even had possession moving up ice.  It was IMMEDIATELY off the face-off draw.  That's a coach directive, and if it applies on a face-off, it applies to other situations as well - which we painfully see.  Especially when they get a lead.

From what I've seen of this team all year, their best use of speed is pinning opposing teams down in their own end with the forecheck.  Not allowing other teams to get speed up through the NZ.  That is when the Flyers are at their best, and so far in these playoffs I've seen a team conservatively retreating instead of aggressively pressuring.

I think that falls on AV, and it's why if not for Carter Hart, the Flyers would've been bounced in round 1.

Edited by eleven24
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Lol. What are the origins of your irrational dislike of Scottie L? Were you one of the ones that wanted us to take Olli Maatta?

ive never even heard of Olli Maata. I assume that is a hockey player? It sounded like an island in the Puget Sound. Anyway, I digress.....

It's really quite simple, I was forced to accept that NAK is a valuable player against my will. Therefore I would much rather change my argument and hate on Laughton, than admit I'm wrong.

HOLY FUCCKSHIT, I'VE TURNED IN TO LIBERAL!