Round 2: Flyers vs Islanders Thread

pilldoc

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

when Mrs Mojo breaks out the cuss words at our guys...**** has gone off the rails.  She generally saves that for opponents exclusively.

NICE!

Mrs. Coach saves her soley for me. She's very busy

There were two different neutral zone approaches in this one: The Flyers went with transition-centric, rush-heavy focus, while the Islanders went heavy dump-and-chase. The good part for Philadelphia? It had nine more controlled entries than the Isles (54-45). The bad? New York had 13 more total entries — 117 to 104.

17 minutes ago, CoachX said:

ive never even heard of Olli Maata. I assume that is a hockey player? It sounded like an island in the Puget Sound.

Lol, nice random geographical reference. I lived right near Puget Sound for a year until your neo-fascist government kicked me out of the country 'cause I was "illegal"

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah i figured this much i would love to see Ghost try and help this impotent power play to you know at least score one powerplay this series....just one. #babysteps

Fortunately, being a game 7, and refs being, well, refs, there should be few penalties called, which can only help the Flyers.

Although, last night when they went shorthanded late I was like: "perfect, our chances of scoring a shortie are probably better than even strenght (and certainly better than on the PP."

And I was right (again)!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Fortunately, being a game 7, and refs being, well, refs, there should be few penalties called, which can only help the Flyers.

Although, last night when they went shorthanded late I was like: "perfect, our chances of scoring a shortie are probably better than even strenght (and certainly better than on the PP."

And I was right (again)!

The Ordinary Kreskin by Roz Chast

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

It made my blood pressure shoot to the roof with Sanheim's lackadaisical play right before the end of the second when he turned the puck over from Brassard's pressure behind the net which lead to the Barzal go ahead goal.

I know the kid is young but Travis has to get his head out his ass on that one.

There is 35 seconds left on the clock he was better off doing his patented backhander around the boards than taking the puck out in front of the goal like that especially if you're going to play so soft on the damn puck...kid must get stronger when he has a chance to get in a gym...his skating is very solid but his upper body strength leaves a lot to be desired.

He needs to do some lift with NAK and learn how to put some strength on.

Thankfully they found a way to tie with the shortie by your second favorite Flyer..

...to get the blood pressure back down.

Meyers and Sanheim both need to put on some weight and muscle. It will help their game tremendously.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Podein25 said:

But part of it is also personnel. Lack of mobility on the back end when Braun and Hagg are out there, so there's no first good pass, is a real problem and probably worth putting Ghost in just for that reason alone. But I dunno, the Isles are good and fast and well coached....

Braun was the worst player on the ice last game. I would much rather not see him play another game for this team. To me, he is absolutely a liability and clearly makes this team worse. Full stop.

• Like 2

It's interesting--the bookies still have the Isles as favorites despite losing the last two.  JVR's performance has helped, and he's had some high chance attempts--even gone from -2 to Even.  

https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/news/nhl/islanders-flyers-game7-odds-pick-sep5-2020/

I would love to see Oskar score a game winner.  

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

JVR has four points in four career Game 7s, including the first goal in 2010 against the Bruins when the Flyers fell into a 3-nothing hole.

While that is worth mentioned....;.

He has TWO points in ELEVEN playoff games THIS year.

He's 15th in scoring....not in the league, on the team.

Edited by flyercanuck

18 hours ago, eleven24 said:

I think I'm beginning to see why AV can build a really good team, but hasn't been able to win the Cup.  The challenges are a fluke occurrence, but his personnel decisions are a bit too conservative.  From a player standpoint, his desire for robotic monotony of every line is why the Flyers are struggling to score. Braun, Grant, Thompson... robotic.  Ghost, Frost... dynamic.  

System wise, there were 3 instances last night where the Flyers lost an offensive zone face-off and the center who lost the draw moved forward to pressure the puck carrier and the wingers and d-men retreated to the neutral zone.  If that's not conservative, I don't know what is.  Certainly don't see the Islanders, or Montreal in the previous series, backing off and allowing the Flyers a free exit of the defensive end.  It's not as if the Isles even had possession moving up ice.  It was IMMEDIATELY off the face-off draw.  That's a coach directive, and if it applies on a face-off, it applies to other situations as well - which we painfully see.  Especially when they get a lead.

From what I've seen of this team all year, their best use of speed is pinning opposing teams down in their own end with the forecheck.  Not allowing other teams to get speed up through the NZ.  That is when the Flyers are at their best, and so far in these playoffs I've seen a team conservatively retreating instead of aggressively pressuring.

I think that falls on AV, and it's why if not for Carter Hart, the Flyers would've been bounced in round 1.

sometimes i dont get this fanbase, how many coaches has this same group of players been though? this is the 4th coach. how many more coach firings is going to take to you to get that it's the players? even coach q couldnt get florida past the first round, he wouldnt make a difference with this team either. i mean give av credit for actually getting this team so far against a very good islanders team but i dont think talent is good enough to beat tampa, tampa is on another level, we are not going to beat them.

you know i get that you want these core players to win a cup, i get it but you have to come to reality that these group of players arent talented enough, if they were, they would be winning cups 8 years ago and we wouldnt going through these coaches.

we are in the same position as florida, we have to retool this team to get better talent on this team, it's not enough.

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

While that is worth mentioned....;.

He has TWO points in ELEVEN playoff games THIS year.

He's 15th in scoring....not in the league, on the team.

Yeah i know. And yet he has TWICE as many GOALS as the beloved Captain....

:workout:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

sometimes i dont get this fanbase, how many coaches has this same group of players been though? this is the 4th coach. how many more coach firings is going to take to you to get that it's the players?

I'd be careful with those generalizations. The fanbase a rather large and diverse place.

And yeah, I agree the team really can't hide behind coaching any longer. Coaches are clearly important, but at the end of the day, they're not the ones going out and trying to put vulcanized rubber in a net come gametime. The core of this team has had ample opportunity to show whether or not they have what it takes to win a cup, and so far they've just fallen short. 

The question is -- what is missing? Hart has been amazing. Provorov, Myers, Niskanen have all been very good also. Couts is always a rock (when not injured). Hayes has fit in nicely. A number of depth players like Laughton, Pitlick, NAK, and the ever steady Raffl have filled their roles admirably too. No team in the league has all of the pieces, and that's already a pretty good list.

Do we lack top level scoring talent? I believe so. Conditioning? Maybe. Drafting for the wrong things? It's possible. Poor luck (hi Patrick!)? Also possible.

But yeah, I can understand questioning the coach when it's Hakstol. His tenure was a parade of head scratching decisions. Vigneault and his trio have some ridiculous amount of NHL coaching experience, and in Vigneault's case, a high degree of success. Is Trots better? Yeah, probably, but we need to start focusing on the players over the coach here, or we're just talking in circles.

I would add that it's notable how both the Habs and now Isles have adopted largely the same gameplan in dealing with the Flyers, and it's worked wonders. The difference between the two teams is mostly a product of there being more talent on the Isles squad than the Habs.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I actually think our dmen are a major reason why we're still in this. Sure, they're not all created equally, but Provo, Myers, and Niskanen in particular have bailed out the team more often than I can count, and while Sanheim has wavered a bit more, he also has been generally positive. That said, I do wish Braun would choose to take a walk outside the bubble and not be allowed back in for the rest of this. That would be nice.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah i know. And yet he has TWICE as many GOALS as the beloved Captain....

:workout:

Sure. And Giroux hasn't exactly been stellar, but he at least brings more to the table than JVR...who basically brings squat other than points. Giroux has won almost 60% of draws. And has FOUR times as many points. Though JVR does have him beat at giveaways. JVR turns over the puck about 3 times as many as he takes, whereas Giroux is less than 2X. 

A blind man can see who the better player is here. Easily. Hopefully they both wake the hell up. 

Edited by flyercanuck

I don't know why Ryan Reaves has a hearing for his hit to Motte and Farabee didn't get the same privilege??

The only difference was Farabee head shot was straight and Motte's was from an angle....both are heads being principle point of contacts.

Besides the different jerseys too....i mean they are trying to take head shots out the game..so why not call it the same???

12 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It's all you had to say. No need to say more.

It's a discussion board, not an agreement board. Giroux's claim to fame isn't goal scoring. JVR having ONE more goal while bringing pretty much nothing else to the table says it all.

Giroux is having a bad playoff, I agree.  JVR is just JVRing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I actually think our dmen are a major reason why we're still in this. Sure, they're not all created equally, but Provo, Myers, and Niskanen in particular have bailed out the team more often than I can count, and while Sanheim has wavered a bit more, he also has been generally positive. That said, I do wish Braun would choose to take a walk outside the bubble and not be allowed back in for the rest of this. That would be nice.

Edited 1 hour ago by elmatus

I concur.  Stabilizing our D was one of Fletcher's major objectives in the off season.  I believe we went from 29th in GA last year, to 17th year.  That isn't great but it is a big, big improvement.  We wouldn't have gotten here without it.  Hopefully, our youngins grow because Niskanen isn't going to get better with age and I suspect Braun walks after this year. 

• Like 1