Round 2: Flyers vs Islanders Thread

pilldoc

The achilles heel this franchise deals with is the by product of decades having your head stuck in the sand. Its always been the same, fully support the players and lay the blame on coach and gm. Although i have always admired Philly loyalty, I sometimes wonder if the BSB players, for all the legend and wonderful things they were, have placed a permanent scar on future teams.

How many times have we seen up and coming players be protected, coddled and revered, inly to watch them crash and burn. Of course its the coach and gm who are to blame. This lasts until said players move, forcing a rebuild, that also is the coaches fault when it fails

Dont get me wrong, some GMs and coaches were awful, and derserve more bad credit than they've already been given, but I have to agree there is an on ice performance issue that impairs this team.

I think AV is the right guy. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I think AV is the right guy. 

It feels like it to me. Is he perfect no far from it. He certainly has his flaws...like coaches challenges he needs to work on.

And it seems designing a power play that is affective!!!! A work in progress on it all it seems...and i may be forgetting something.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elmatus said:

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I actually think our dmen are a major reason why we're still in this. Sure, they're not all created equally, but Provo, Myers, and Niskanen in particular have bailed out the team more often than I can count, and while Sanheim has wavered a bit more, he also has been generally positive. That said, I do wish Braun would choose to take a walk outside the bubble and not be allowed back in for the rest of this. That would be nice.

yeah, i apologize for that remark, i wasnt thinking clearly,  if only av had a crosby and malkin type of players on this team, i dont think there would alot of pressure on him to win in the playoffs. something the rangers and canucks never had when he was coaching those teams, hopefully fletch can somehow bring someone like that on this team.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Game day. What's everybody drinking?

Out of Buffalo Trace....so what better replacement than a bottle from the same distillery...

Liqueur, Distilled beverage, Drink, Bottle, Whisky, Scotch whisky, Single malt whisky, Blended malt whisky,

...never had it before....Go Flyers!!!!!!!!

Man i am ready to go!!!!!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

See. Bourbon and the Stanley Cup were meant to be...

...this here is Woodford reserve...

Bourbon-Bottle.png

That you can even buy in Canada. Not a huge Bourbon selection up here, especially here in the middle of nowhere

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

See. Bourbon and the Stanley Cup were meant to be...

...this here is Woodford reserve...

Bourbon-Bottle.png

Some friends from Kentucky sent us a bottle of mint julep. Mint and bourbon, IMO, is a match made in hell. I like mint, but not in my liquor.

Just now, flyercanuck said:

Some friends from Kentucky sent us a bottle of mint julep. Mint and bourbon, IMO, is a match made in hell. I like mint, but not in my liquor.

I don't mind it in a mojito if I'm sitting on a beach in Cuba, which is the only time I drink rum.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Out of Buffalo Trace....so what better replacement than a bottle from the same distillery...

I actually drank that just the other day for the first time. It was good. A buddy and I are doing whiskey run offs, comparing two at a time to see which ones we like best.

10 hours ago, elmatus said:

The question is -- what is missing? Hart has been amazing. Provorov, Myers, Niskanen have all been very good also. Couts is always a rock (when not injured). Hayes has fit in nicely. A number of depth players like Laughton, Pitlick, NAK, and the ever steady Raffl have filled their roles admirably too. No team in the league has all of the pieces, and that's already a pretty good list.

Kinda interesting who isn't in this paragraph...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Sure. And Giroux hasn't exactly been stellar, but he at least brings more to the table than JVR...

How Giroux plays has NOTHING to do with how JVR plays.

G has failed to produce in the postseason when JVR was in Tronno.

• Like 1

**** Claude Giroux. I've been his biggest defender for years, but I'm done. If you can't get your team focused for a Game 7 as captain, you don't deserve to be captain. I hope they shop the hell out of him. I've never been so disappointed as I am right now. To watch this team come out absolutely flat, and to continue to come out flat two series in a row is inexcusable. I got that it's been popular to bash ex gms and coaches (however, the hate for Haktard was well deserved), this doesn't fall on Vigneault. Everyone got a clean sheet with him and Claude completely **** the bed.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

**** Claude Giroux. I've been his biggest defender for years, but I'm done. If you can't get your team focused for a Game 7 as captain, you don't deserve to be captain. I hope they shop the hell out of him. I've never been so disappointed as I am right now. To watch this team come out absolutely flat, and to continue to come out flat two series in a row is inexcusable. I got that it's been popular to bash ex gms and coaches (however, the hate for Haktard was well deserved), this doesn't fall on Vigneault. Everyone got a clean sheet with him and Claude completely **** the bed.  

where have you been? Claude has been Captain Zero in the playoffs for years now. He had one good playoff run nearly 10 years ago. Good regular season player, invisible in the playoffs, terrible captain overall.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

they have to shop giroux, jake, jvr and see what they get for them and bring in new talent, heck i would throw tk in it, he sucks too, i think they need a complete rebuild accept i would keep hayes, myers, and provy, fab and throw the rest to the garbage.

Edited by tucson83

In like a lion, out like a lamb.  They achieved what was expected this season considering losing Lindblom and Patrick for the whole year.  A few tweaks and they are back again next year hopefully taking another step.   

Now what do I do with my time....

• Like 1

How many seasons I sat post-mortem thinking “if only we had a goalie”. Now we have one and I’m thinking “if only we had a legit scoring threat”. 

All in all, a weird 2020 ride. The Canadiens were better. The Islanders are better. Hart is the reason we got to game 7 round 2.  Isles are damned impressive. They could win it all. 

As for the Flyers, the future is indeed bright, with a few tweaks needed. 

At least I didn’t have to lament about the Flyers finally winning the Cup and not being able to be there to see it, or be there for a parade. 

THAT would’ve been so typically Philadelphia sports