Round 2: Flyers vs Islanders Thread

pilldoc

24 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Man if the Flyers could just get the dang power play going it could alieviate a lot of pressure on the whole team.

As of now they have the worst power play of any team left. Just not good enough.

It maybe time to try drastic measures to try and get it going like putting anyone on the damn thing.

Shayne Gostisbehere

• Like 2

Coming back from a 3-1 deficit is a tall task, but let's also consider that teams attempting to do so had to win games on the other team's home ice.  The Flyers would be facing a game 6 in NY right now, so I'll take the neutral site game as a positive that otherwise wouldn't have been afforded.

59 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

What is your thoughts on this?

In an outer perspective, it's tough to say and really borderline. Pelech wants to apply a clean and heavy check, his feet remain on the ice but the head is the first point of contact. As we are in playoffs I don't think Pelech will get a suspension, but the League will also look at Pelech's history.

If it had been Heiskanen, I would have said: "What a motherf**ker! 25-game suspension at minimum". If it had been Janmark, I would have said "What a motherf**ker! Couldn't he be even harder instead of that ***** check?"

Just my 2¢

17 minutes ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

As we are in playoffs I don't think Pelech will get a suspension, but the League will also look at Pelech's history.

Playoffs shouldn't have a bearing.

They sat Niskanen when he went to check Gallagher when he changed his position before the cross check was applied.

Farabee didn't changed his position he was already leaning over he just started to extend his arms because he saw him last second.

I appreciate you opinion on it but I think a one game suspension should do since it was set last round vs Montreal.

So we'll see if they can be consistent. 

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Anyone in the know have an injury update on Coots, and Barzal?

I haven't seen anything but even so they can't say.

Only Montreal is allowed to disclose injury status per the NHL.

All you'll see is a game time decision if he will or won't play maybe.

47 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I appreciate you opinion on it but I think a one game suspension should do since it was set last round vs Montreal.

So we'll see if they can be consistent.

what are the odds? 🤔

12 hours ago, eleven24 said:

Provorov looks lost at times.  It's unusual to see him NOT make the smart play, but he's really giving the puck up with bad decisions when not really being pressured

Yeah he has at times. I think part of it is that Niskanen has also been off and that has Ivan rattled a bit. I might split them up to be honest. 

6 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah he has at times. I think part of it is that Niskanen has also been off and that has Ivan rattled a bit. I might split them up to be honest. 

i see no reason why hagg playing over ghost

1 hour ago, eleven24 said:

Coming back from a 3-1 deficit is a tall task, but let's also consider that teams attempting to do so had to win games on the other team's home ice.  The Flyers would be facing a game 6 in NY right now, so I'll take the neutral site game as a positive that otherwise wouldn't have been afforded.

Well it's 3-2 now.  It'll be interesting to see, I am trying to remain positive but it is tough.  Especially when they are blowing leads so late in games.  

18 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

The problem with that is do you then split up Sanheim/Myers? And then which one do you throw to the wolves aka Niskanen. I guess Myers? I just think Provorov is already a veteran who can handle playing with a guy who's struggling, even though he's the same age as the other two.

11 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

guess Myers?

Certainly not putting Myers with Niskanen two righties on the same pair would not be good.

So it would have to be Ivan and Myers.

And then Sanheim would have to pair up with Niskanen.

Unless you dropped Niskanen down with Hagg.

Gulp...

26 minutes ago, CoachX said:

i see no reason why hagg playing over ghost

I do see a reason: Hagg is way more physical and blocks more shots. I actually think he has played quite well, especially considering he has been paired with an ageing Braun.

14 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

The problem with that is do you then split up Sanheim/Myers? And then which one do you throw to the wolves aka Niskanen. I guess Myers? I just think Provorov is already a veteran who can handle playing with a guy who's struggling, even though he's the same age as the other two.

Yeah, you can't split up Sanheim/Myers. It is what it is for now. If Ghost does have a future with this team, I do think a confident Ghost playing the way he did two years ago would pair well with Ivan. 

4 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I do see a reason: Hagg is way more physical and blocks more shots. I actually think he has played quite well, especially considering he has been paired with an ageing Braun.

I like the physical aspect Hagg brings as well, but Ghost is desperately needed on the PP.  If he's not playing because of defensive zone turnovers, then half the team should be sitting.  At least Ghost brings a dynamic offensive presence that Provorov doesn't to the PP.  I mean, how many times am I going to have to watch Provorov skate to the blue line, turn at the hips about 45 degrees and pass back for the slingshot?  Sure, that's the "system" but when it becomes mind numbingly predictive, you need someone who might actually FAKE that drop pass, pivot and carry it in.

Like Ghost does.

Regular pairings, I'd go Hagg/Provorov, Sanheim/Myers, Ghost/Niskanen

Edited by eleven24

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

This acquisition would be on the premise of putting him on the second line with Hayes so they maybe cab recapture their old BU dominant days when he was in the running for the Hobey Baker.

Have a BU alum line.

Giroux - Coots - TK

Gaudreau - Hayes - Farabee

That was my idea.

His salary of 6.75 for two more years is very easy to fit in. However this would be with moving JVR or Jake too.

Just an idea.

Yeah, I mean I don't hate him. I'm not sure he brings much more than what we'd be giving up to get him though. I'm not convinced he's much better than Voracek in terms of production or really in what he brings to the ice. He has good stretches and then he has bad stretches, a lot like Voracek. 

If he could be had for cheap, and we still have those assets to move elsewhere to bolster the team further, then yeah sure. I just don't think he makes our team all that much better if we nix someone like Voracek to get him (and -- as you well know -- I am in no way a Voracek fan).

The biggest challenge right now seems to be Giroux really. Not that I think we have to move him. His playoff performance has been garbage for sure, but he's still a very good player -- if not a truly dominant one. Realistically though, he's the only one I'd be okay with moving who would really give us a potentially solid return to build on.

I mean, there's also Provorov or Couts, but if Fletch even so much as sniffs at that possibility, there better be a riot outside his office the next morning.

Edited by elmatus

4 minutes ago, eleven24 said:

I like the physical aspect Hagg brings as well, but Ghost is desperately needed on the PP.  If he's not playing because of defensive zone turnovers, then half the team should be sitting.  At least Ghost brings a dynamic offensive presence that Provorov doesn't to the PP.  I mean, how many times am I going to have to watch Provorov skate to the blue line, turn at the hips about 45 degrees and pass back for the slingshot?  Sure, that's the "system" but when it becomes mind numbingly predictive, you need someone who might actually FAKE that drop pass, pivot and carry it in.

Like Ghost does.

I don't disagree. The problem is that AV has no confidence in Ghost and Ghost knows this so it must constantly be on his mind.

I think I'd sit Braun to be honest. Hagg and Ghost? Or dress 7 D and use Ghost as a PP guy...

6 minutes ago, eleven24 said:

Hagg/Provorov, Sanheim/Myers, Ghost/Niskanen

I could get on board with this. The problem is that Hagg has never played those kinds of minutes. If he takes shorter shifts than Ivan, which he almost certainly would, you could come with Niskanen after so he's out there for part of Ivan's shift. 

Or dress 7 D - the more I think about this, I like it. You could put Ghost up on the wing even for a few shifts. I don't know hwy coaches don't do that kind of thing more. 

10 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I havent really seen the physical play. At least to the degree that it is having an impact. Where as Ghost could definitely improve the powerplay, a benefit for more valuable than the little bit of physical Hagg allegedly brings

As for blocking shots, Cal Clutterbuck says "hello", game tied 3-3

5 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I could get on board with this. The problem is that Hagg has never played those kinds of minutes. If he takes shorter shifts than Ivan, which he almost certainly would, you could come with Niskanen after so he's out there for part of Ivan's shift. 

Or dress 7 D - the more I think about this, I like it. You could put Ghost up on the wing even for a few shifts. I don't know hwy coaches don't do that kind of thing more. 

Sit Hagg for Braun and keep the other pairings as outlined

Braun/Ivan, Myers/Sandy, Nisky/Ghost

16 minutes ago, eleven24 said:

Like Ghost does.

See above ☝️

8 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

He's among the most physical of all the Flyers. Do you actually watch the games?

Im not disagreeing with you. But isnt it like saying Scott Laughton leads the team in playoff goals? Well, someone has to!

Im suggesting the intangibles ghost can bring, outweighs those of Hagg. I like Hagg better than Braun, but like you said, can he sustain the minutes? If so, play him and sit Braun

and, NO. I dont watch the games. I drink the bourbon and watch reruns of "my 600 lb life". At least there is a chance for victory

Edited by CoachX
  • Good Post 1