Debbie Downers -> Kudos

Guest doom88

Too much depression here as of late, even with good reason. Let's call out some guys who have played well recently.

- Hartnell with a natural hat trick against Boston and two goals through Brodeur has FIVE in the last two games.

- Bourdon is ramping up the smart hitting and defending teammates. Playing better than a run of the mill rookie defenseman. Not as slow as I thought he was.

- Gus. Very impressive as his name hasn't been mentioned in a negative way much at all. Comes off injury and plays for the big club admirably. He is adding smooth, quick skating to the D and doesn't seem to make the mistakes rookie defenseman are occasionally prone to (panic, bad positioning, etc). Another pleasant surprise.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall I still maintain Bourdon is serviceable at the NHL level, not a liability in his own end, and improving with every start. Most blow a coverage here and there. His errant passes I think are more the forwards not necessarily paying attention in the neutral zone, and the Bs playing aggressive. Still, he is doing well.

If Gus & Bourdon continue to play well and evolve, it makes the Flyers less desperate to cough up more than they should for a replacement for Pronger.

Do not kid yourself, if the Flyers want a quality dman, it is going to cost them dearly. Bourdon did have some bad turnovers but overall he works as a 5/6 dman. Gus is looking real strong. I hope he is that 3/4 dman that can eat up some minutes and play point on the PP.

The rookies continue to impress, especially Couturier on the PK. Short handed today against one of the top teams in the league, the Flyers and their callups played lights out....with the exception of the guy in net who seemed to be pondering the stars again.....

Even though we lost in the homerun hitting contest. I am so proud of the Rookies taking it to one of the best teams in the league! I wonder how many teams have gotten 5 goals past TT this season?

Good thing Homer doesn't read the Fan Boards as Hartnell would have been gone after 5 games and Schenn would be the next target (he became a Flyer today I feel).

One more "D" man is not going to make this team a cup contenders! Homer gave away the farm acquiring Pronger.Was it worth it? I'd like to see more Phantoms brought up,like the other big guy "Ollie",big bodies help! The Bruins game should have everybody asking for more of that kind of play,nothing too violent,just lots of physical contact.

Schenn is starting to look a bit better and really energized the team with his big hit today.

I jumped out of my chair when i saw that hit. I'll say one thing, if he plays like that night in night out, we will be in good shape.

Even though we lost in the homerun hitting contest. I am so proud of the Rookies taking it to one of the best teams in the league! I wonder how many teams have gotten 5 goals past TT this season?

Good thing Homer doesn't read the Fan Boards as Hartnell would have been gone after 5 games and Schenn would be the next target (he became a Flyer today I feel).

I think I read a stat yesterday that said it only happened 3 times this year, and yesterday was the only time Boston won :)

@Spinorama - Take a look at some of Schenn's Youtube highlights from Juniors. Lots of big hits, big fights, and big goals. Like someone else said, he became a Flyer today and let's hope he can string a few of those together.

Someday people are going to realize most players take more than 2 weeks to adjust to the NHL game. Until then, most players that come to this team under the age of 25 will be called busts by more than a few people.

@flyercanuck - Yea I agree. I think the majority of us are conditioned to have a "jump the gun, what have you done for me lately, why aren't you Top 10 in scoring?" mentality. But just watching Schenn play at a high level in Juniors, you knew it was only a matter of time until he gained some confidence out there.

@flyercanuck - Yea I agree. I think the majority of us are conditioned to have a "jump the gun, what have you done for me lately, why aren't you Top 10 in scoring?" mentality. But just watching Schenn play at a high level in Juniors, you knew it was only a matter of time until he gained some confidence out there.

Schenns performance at the WJHCs would have won him the Heismann trophy in the US in comparison.They'd already have a movie about what a super-hero miracle worker guardian angel to the game of hockey he is. He was that good. He was one of two prospects I was willing to trade Carter for. That's not the last big hit he'll throw, and his scoring will come around.

Edited by flyercanuck

Schenns performance at the WJHCs would have won him the Heismann trophy in the US in comparison.They'd already have a movie about what a super-hero miracle worker guardian angel to the game of hockey he is. He was that good. He was one of two prospects I was willing to trade Carter for. That's not the last big hit he'll throw, and his scoring will come around.

Yea I unfortunately only saw highlights of that and not the complete series of games....but it was still unbelievably impressive. I even thought his post-game comments showed his confidence and comfort level. Something along the lines of, "Yea I gave a big hit, got in a fight, got split open...no big deal, go **** yourself."

Overall I still maintain Bourdon is serviceable at the NHL level, not a liability in his own end, and improving with every start. Most blow a coverage here and there. His errant passes I think are more the forwards not necessarily paying attention in the neutral zone, and the Bs playing aggressive. Still, he is doing well.

I think he's going to be fine but he's going to be somewhat of a liability for awhile.

Also on the positive side of the ledger: Wayne Simmonds is playing with a ton of confidence. The way he's controlling the puck along the boards and creating space for his line mates is eye opening.

Edited by terp

The Flyers with eight rookies in the lineup take the defending champions, who are 3rd in the league with 2 games in hand, to a shootout.

Not only that but they actually played with the Bruins physically which is something of a shock to me and great to see.

@Digityman

Great hit. I really hate that players have to fight after delivering what is a great hockey play. If it's dirty, fine, go after the guy. But going after a guy for a hockey play is bs IMO.

Same when Hartnell smoked Campbell? and Thornton went after him. Unlike what the idiot announcers said "he hit high going for his head". He hit him shoulder to chest the same as Schenn did earlier in the game.

Caveat, I would like to see Flyer players do the same even at the cost of a penalty to answer big or cheap hits against them.

@Digityman

Great hit. I really hate that players have to fight after delivering what is a great hockey play. If it's dirty, fine, go after the guy. But going after a guy for a hockey play is bs IMO.

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with this concept. As a player, if I'm on the bench and I see a teammate get freight trained and now he lay out cold on the ice... I'm gonna wanna "get that guy" clean or not. He took out my teammate, doesn't matter if he did it clean. it's called being tough and taking care of your own. No one said you have to play dirty for someone to come around and police the team. You don't want guys taking runs at your teammates, you stand up for them no matter how they go down. There's no way as a coach I let me team stand idle if they are dropping like flies and say "well hey guys, they were all clean hits, the rest of you aren't allowed to get mad, or send a message to the other team to get them to stop" . I mean seriously, if the other team wants to freight train my team into oblivion, well as long as it's clean, more power to them? and I'd instruct my players to let it happen so long as it's clean?.... yeah, no fkcing way

Edited by Spinorama

to answer doom 88, The Flyers have some better minor leaguers now and thats why this injury bug hasnt affected them as much, plus I think Peter Laviolette has Taught his Phantom Coaches about his style of Hockey. Now its Taught in Adirondack as well, I think the Addition of Riley Cote helped there. So when an injury hits its not as bad as before

And For Poulin 20........I disagree on Schenn...........Forwards are suposed to be Good Defencively also and thats where Schenns problem is, he is Very weak defencively. Now Mark Recchi was Weak defensively also, but his Offencive numbers Compensated, thats not the case with Schenn