2020 Minnesota Wild Draft Preview

CreaseAndAssist

11 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Nesterenko is such a long way off.  I wonder what line he'll play on with the Eagles.  That is a pretty deep team, and ice time might be tough to come by for a freshman.  I really hope he can start to fill out his frame as he's pretty slight.  IMO, way too soon to know what we have in him.  It doesn't mean he sucks or anything, but he probably has at least 3-4 years of college for us to see before we have any idea of what sort of possibe NHL future he may have.  

I agree.  He is young . It will take few years to get into professional hockey as well as to show his consistency in production. Last year I was not happy with our 1st round pick Matt Boldy who is playing already for Boston College team. At the end of the season he woke up and started to play better.I am not sure if Nesterenko is going to play in the same line with Boldly,but hope he will get plenty of playing time. Agree with you - freshman usually get less time like Khovanov now in Kazan or Dewar and Sokolov in Iowa. Regarding Khovanov, I will be happy if he will get a chance to play at least 30 games in his home city. Any played game there for him as well as for us is very valuable. Like I said before Kazan An Bars team is a very solid tough team in KHL with old traditions.

8 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

IMO, Nesterenko is a long-term project.  We'll see what kind of a freshman year he has on a still fairly loaded Boston College team.  

Agree 100%, he is a long-term project. Hope, his freshman year in Boston would be better than was for Boldy.

Not likely, since Nesterenko will likely only get bit time on that club.  Boldy was given a fair amount of ice time right from the start.  We'll see if Newhook and Boldy stay paired together.  Because Boldy really didn't take off until he had Newhook as his center instead of Jack McBain.  

2020 Minnesota Wild Draft Preview: Defenseman

I look at the defenseman available in this year's draft.  I have one more draft-focused article left which I will publish probably this weekend.  Also, the draft dates hae been announced, on October 6th & 7th, 2020.  Enjoy and discuss.  I really like Schneider's skillset.  

• Like 2

There was a big interview with Anton Lundell in the Finnish media: https://yle.fi/urheilu/3-11541946

It's in Finnish, unfortunately, but there's two interesting bits and pieces:

1. The kid has watched previous drafts live in the middle of the night - sounds passionate about the NHL

2. Team first guy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

There was a big interview with Anton Lundell in the Finnish media: https://yle.fi/urheilu/3-11541946

It's in Finnish, unfortunately, but there's two interesting bits and pieces:

1. The kid has watched previous drafts live in the middle of the night - sounds passionate about the NHL

2. Team first guy

1. Or he's passionate about staying up late playing eSports with his cellphone and enjoying variety of Cokes. 😉

2. Many said Koivu is too. Now was he... 

I think the top priority should be the individual skillset. Take the best you can. 

A distant number two should be "in what positions do we need additions". Strengthening.

On 9/8/2020 at 7:33 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

2020 Minnesota Wild Draft Preview: Defenseman

I look at the defenseman available in this year's draft.  I have one more draft-focused article left which I will publish probably this weekend.  Also, the draft dates hae been announced, on October 6th & 7th, 2020.  Enjoy and discuss.  I really like Schneider's skillset.  

1) Really enjoy your movement chart! 

2)Be nice to see Wallinder fall to the Wild in the 2nd rd.

3)Based on an overview of yours and other draft sites, the "safe" pick (Lundell) seems to be again the Wild's destiny.   IMO, I hope they can trade up at least several slots to get a more dynamic offensive performer. That said, if Askarov and Sanderson are picked in the top 8, plus perhaps an additional off the board choice,  the Wild could have an excellent skilled forward fall into their lap. (IMO there are 6, some would argue 7)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Glad you like it.  I have one more draft article ready to go; this one called Sleepers & Steals.  The 2021 draft is really defense heavy in case anyone wants to start planning ahead.  

Well if we did draft a D next year he might be in the AHL by the end of Suters contract.

Edited by bbgarnett

7 hours ago, Gnarkill said:

No more "two way" Finns that play soft and don't use their body.

Yeah we dont those Finns, we need those Finns that are now playing in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Jokes aside, I do think we should emphasise getting players from Canada and Russia - just for the fact that they have a huge pool of players, meaning exceptional skills are most often found there, not in small hockey countries with a small pool of players.

• 2 weeks later...

Huge days are today and tomorrow for the Wild team. We will see what kind of players we will get. Tonight (6 p.m.) we are going to get 3rd time in the Wild history 1st round;9th overall. First two were James Sheppard(2006 draft) and Mikael Granlund(2010 draft). Granlund was pretty good for us.