New Blood

EmptyShelf

A couple of questions for the board. 

A.  What are the chances that we see the following rookie players for 10 or more games next season?

1)  Alex Khovanov?

2)  Adam Beckman?

3) Calen Addison?

4)  Wild's 1st Rounder this year?

5)  Ivan Lodnia?

6)  Hunter Jones?

B.  What are the chances of the Wild adding a Top 6 player via trade?

C.  What are the odds that Parise is on the team after the Trade Deadline next year?

BTW:  Watching Alex Tuch continue to develop in the playoffs is making my bowels loose......6 game tryout for us with our history of playing relics at the expense of Top Prospects is pathetic - it clearly has NOT worked for us for more than 10 years.

A.) Khovanov?  ZERO, he's in the KHL.  I'm pretty sure KHL contracts mandate he has to stay the whole season.  

B.)  Beckman?  ZERO, he can't even report to Iowa to play until his junior season is done.  I think the Wild will like to see him try to replicate his totals from a season ago with the Chiefs.  

C.)  Addison?  25%.  He's probably going ot be kept in Iowa and play the lion's share of minutes, especially now that Brennan Menell signed to play in the KHL this season.  But if we see injuries he might get a call up, yet I'd be really surprised if he doesn't start the season in Iowa first.  Only other possibility would be if the Wild traded Dumba or Brodin this offseason which may put him on a fast track to make the big club.  

D.)  If its Lundell, I think you might have a 15%-20% chance at seeing him right away since he played in the Sm-Liiga last year.  Yet that could also mean they start him Iowa to get him acclimated to the North American style of game.  If its Rossi, I'd say 10% unless he has an absolutely monster training camp.  And he is very athletic and fit for his age.  I think they might return him to major junior or maybe he'll go back to Switzerland and be a stud there and then come back to North America.  Anyone else, its ZERO.  

E).  Lodnia?  ZERO, see most of my comments about Khovanov.  He's playing on the same team as Menell, Dinamo Minsk.  

F.)  Hunter Jones?  ZERO, he's going to continue to get big minutes playing for Peterborough with the hope he might crack Team Canada's WJC roster.  He was an early cut last year.  

G.)  50%, I think that's one of Bill Guerin's primary goals.  My guess is the hope will be trying to find a Top 6 center but that's going to be really tough and the price will likely be pretty high if we do.  There is an excellent possibility the Wild will lose a quality roster player, one of our top 5 prospects and maybe draft picks just to make something like that happen.  I say 50% just because I don't think Guerin is going to be so desperate he'll make a foolish deal for an older (i.e. anyone over 30 years old, or a slower player) just for the sake of making a deal.  That being said, I think Bill Guerin has a pretty good idea what this club's strengths and weaknesses are by now.  

H.)  50%-75%, Lou Lamiorello might be counting himself lucky that the Parise deal didn't happen given his contract and his relative invisibility in the playoffs.  Parise wants to play for a winner and I think he'd be willing to waive his no movement clause to go to the Islanders to play on the same club his dad finished his career for, but the Islanders are doing pretty well with the players they have and I am not sure I'd want to mess with the chemistry of that group by adding an entitled veteran forward.  If Lamiorello still wants to make that deal for Parise for Ladd, I'd do it.  The WIld will lose offense in the immediate future, but they will gain a bit more cap space (at a time where the cap is going to be frozen the next few seasons) and only have 3 more years on a bad deal than 5.  If Parise was looking dangerous and more hungry but the Wild were just not good enough I'd be more bullish on this deal happening.  But how much did you notice Parise in the Wild's play in series against Vancouver.  I barely heard his name mentioned.  IMO, why would you want to add a $7 million+ player with 5 more years when he was a no-show for the post-season?  Not to add more salt to the wound, but I'd imagine Lou would insist the Wild sweeten the deal to give him some insurance.  

I.)  Watching Tuch the last 3 seasons with the Golden Knights has been rough.  He has thrived, but he's been given opportunity.  He probably would've been forced to just exist on the 3rd line.  I don't think he's checking line kind of player.  One thing I will admit I didn't think I'd see from Tuch given how he played in Jr. A, was his assertiveness to just turn on the jets and take the initiative.  He's had some great goals that way in the post-season for the Golden Knights in their inuagural post-season run and now.  End to end kind of stuff.  His effort playing on the 3rd line with the Wild, I don't think any of us thought he'd turn into what he did based on what we saw in that 6-game audition.  In fact, he was pretty inconsistent and while hindsight that looks bad, its the same deal with Kuemper.  When they were given a chance, they left you wanting a lot more even if if the stints were relatively small.  

I hope that answers your questions.    

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

Good insight, LIG.  There has been confusing information about Khovanov's deal in the KHL.  I have heard it said by Russo and others that it is a 'one year deal.'  I have also heard that the Wild could request him back 'mid-season.'  Thus, why I asked the question about him - I knew that he had signed with KHL, but didn't feel it was clear what the terms were.  Of course, he would have to really show something there to be requested back in mid or late season, but I thought I would ask if you had more information. No idea if the Lodnia situation is different, or not (e.g. full one year deal with no prospect for return until 2021/2022.

As far as Beckman, he has enjoyed such an unexpected rise (at least for me), I had posed the question in the event that he somehow was invited to camp and really impressed.  I was curious how the board thought that BG/DE might deal with him.  Would it be different than in the past (forced to Iowa for 1+ seasons), if performance and his pretty impressive rise (coupled with the Wild's dearth of scoring/playmaking) would compel consideration of 10 games or more during the early or later part of the season?  

As for the rest, I tend to agree on whether it is Lundell versus the rest of the draft options.  He has had a better preparatory path, he has some size, and he fills a pressing need.  Not true with many of the others that we MAY have a chance to draft.

Tuch has surprised with his extra gear (for me), as well as his ability to finish.  I don't believe that he would have been presented with the same opportunity yet to thrive on the Wild (as he has with Vegas).  This begs the question:  When will the young players be allowed to progress unobstructed by the Wild if warranted?  Is it going to take more years of milking the old vets to the end of their respective contracts?  Kaprisov will not be a reasonable comparative, as I simply believe that they must give him Top 6 time to start, due to pedigree, fan/ticket expectations and enthusiasm, as well as the lack of viable alternatives.   If other young prospects have to take the longer path through Iowa (wherein they may be blocked for a time by the most recent players including Kunin), I think it is VERY disappointing.  We clearly have a speed and talent gap that I would like to see filled sooner than later.  Just my $.02

In case I missed it on Beckman.  Does he have to stay for his whole Jr. season for a particular reason (his young age via the rules, or?)?  Also, I guess I don't know why they would not want to challenge him further, unless the rules prohibit this.  I would hate to see him plateau and get complacent, in having to repeat the same level again.  I do understand that he would likely benefit from an additional year to develop a bit more of a body for the next levels - he seems pretty lean from what I have read and seen via his highlights...

1 hour ago, EmptyShelf said:

In case I missed it on Beckman.  Does he have to stay for his whole Jr. season for a particular reason (his young age via the rules, or?)?  Also, I guess I don't know why they would not want to challenge him further, unless the rules prohibit this.  I would hate to see him plateau and get complacent, in having to repeat the same level again.  I do understand that he would likely benefit from an additional year to develop a bit more of a body for the next levels - he seems pretty lean from what I have read and seen via his highlights...

Beckman is 19, so the way I read it, either he plays in Spokane or St. Paul. I do not think the Wild can send him to Iowa. I believe he has to be 20 before the Wild can send him to Iowa based on what I’m reading about the current CHL-NHL agreement. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

Good insight, LIG.  There has been confusing information about Khovanov's deal in the KHL.  I have heard it said by Russo and others that it is a 'one year deal.'  I have also heard that the Wild could request him back 'mid-season.'  Thus, why I asked the question about him - I knew that he had signed with KHL, but didn't feel it was clear what the terms were.  Of course, he would have to really show something there to be requested back in mid or late season, but I thought I would ask if you had more information. No idea if the Lodnia situation is different, or not (e.g. full one year deal with no prospect for return until 2021/2022.

As far as Beckman, he has enjoyed such an unexpected rise (at least for me), I had posed the question in the event that he somehow was invited to camp and really impressed.  I was curious how the board thought that BG/DE might deal with him.  Would it be different than in the past (forced to Iowa for 1+ seasons), if performance and his pretty impressive rise (coupled with the Wild's dearth of scoring/playmaking) would compel consideration of 10 games or more during the early or later part of the season?  

As for the rest, I tend to agree on whether it is Lundell versus the rest of the draft options.  He has had a better preparatory path, he has some size, and he fills a pressing need.  Not true with many of the others that we MAY have a chance to draft.

Tuch has surprised with his extra gear (for me), as well as his ability to finish.  I don't believe that he would have been presented with the same opportunity yet to thrive on the Wild (as he has with Vegas).  This begs the question:  When will the young players be allowed to progress unobstructed by the Wild if warranted?  Is it going to take more years of milking the old vets to the end of their respective contracts?  Kaprisov will not be a reasonable comparative, as I simply believe that they must give him Top 6 time to start, due to pedigree, fan/ticket expectations and enthusiasm, as well as the lack of viable alternatives.   If other young prospects have to take the longer path through Iowa (wherein they may be blocked for a time by the most recent players including Kunin), I think it is VERY disappointing.  We clearly have a speed and talent gap that I would like to see filled sooner than later.  Just my $.02

I would say the Wild seem to now finally be interested in getting younger and faster.  Its why I really hope we don't see them sign an older free agent center just for the sake of adding a new player as it roadblocks that goal of getting younger and faster.  Think about it, the team has rid itself of that second core as Coyle, Niederreiter, Zucker and Granlund are no longer with the club.  So its just geezers and younger players for the most part, at least up front.  So the Wild might as well let the foagies age out and fall off the roster and embrace being young.  

Beckman can't play in Iowa.  That rule is in place to protect junior teams from losing their star talent to an AHL team.  He could make the Minnesota Wild, just not Iowa; not until his junior team is eliminated at least.  

IMO, Kunin, Eriksson Ek haven't really been blocked.  They could have taken a spot in the Top 6 if they were capable enough and had the talent.  But they haven't really seized it.  They are more role players than players that drive offense.  

Kaprizov will be given Top 6 time and opportunity.  I have no doubt about it.  Whether he's ready for that yet, that's a whole different story.  

19 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

A.) Khovanov?  ZERO, he's in the KHL.  I'm pretty sure KHL contracts mandate he has to stay the whole season.  

B.)  Beckman?  ZERO, he can't even report to Iowa to play until his junior season is done.  I think the Wild will like to see him try to replicate his totals from a season ago with the Chiefs.  

C.)  Addison?  25%.  He's probably going ot be kept in Iowa and play the lion's share of minutes, especially now that Brennan Menell signed to play in the KHL this season.  But if we see injuries he might get a call up, yet I'd be really surprised if he doesn't start the season in Iowa first.  Only other possibility would be if the Wild traded Dumba or Brodin this offseason which may put him on a fast track to make the big club.  

D.)  If its Lundell, I think you might have a 15%-20% chance at seeing him right away since he played in the Sm-Liiga last year.  Yet that could also mean they start him Iowa to get him acclimated to the North American style of game.  If its Rossi, I'd say 10% unless he has an absolutely monster training camp.  And he is very athletic and fit for his age.  I think they might return him to major junior or maybe he'll go back to Switzerland and be a stud there and then come back to North America.  Anyone else, its ZERO.  

E).  Lodnia?  ZERO, see most of my comments about Khovanov.  He's playing on the same team as Menell, Dinamo Minsk.  

F.)  Hunter Jones?  ZERO, he's going to continue to get big minutes playing for Peterborough with the hope he might crack Team Canada's WJC roster.  He was an early cut last year.  

G.)  50%, I think that's one of Bill Guerin's primary goals.  My guess is the hope will be trying to find a Top 6 center but that's going to be really tough and the price will likely be pretty high if we do.  There is an excellent possibility the Wild will lose a quality roster player, one of our top 5 prospects and maybe draft picks just to make something like that happen.  I say 50% just because I don't think Guerin is going to be so desperate he'll make a foolish deal for an older (i.e. anyone over 30 years old, or a slower player) just for the sake of making a deal.  That being said, I think Bill Guerin has a pretty good idea what this club's strengths and weaknesses are by now.  

H.)  50%-75%, Lou Lamiorello might be counting himself lucky that the Parise deal didn't happen given his contract and his relative invisibility in the playoffs.  Parise wants to play for a winner and I think he'd be willing to waive his no movement clause to go to the Islanders to play on the same club his dad finished his career for, but the Islanders are doing pretty well with the players they have and I am not sure I'd want to mess with the chemistry of that group by adding an entitled veteran forward.  If Lamiorello still wants to make that deal for Parise for Ladd, I'd do it.  The WIld will lose offense in the immediate future, but they will gain a bit more cap space (at a time where the cap is going to be frozen the next few seasons) and only have 3 more years on a bad deal than 5.  If Parise was looking dangerous and more hungry but the Wild were just not good enough I'd be more bullish on this deal happening.  But how much did you notice Parise in the Wild's play in series against Vancouver.  I barely heard his name mentioned.  IMO, why would you want to add a $7 million+ player with 5 more years when he was a no-show for the post-season?  Not to add more salt to the wound, but I'd imagine Lou would insist the Wild sweeten the deal to give him some insurance.  

I.)  Watching Tuch the last 3 seasons with the Golden Knights has been rough.  He has thrived, but he's been given opportunity.  He probably would've been forced to just exist on the 3rd line.  I don't think he's checking line kind of player.  One thing I will admit I didn't think I'd see from Tuch given how he played in Jr. A, was his assertiveness to just turn on the jets and take the initiative.  He's had some great goals that way in the post-season for the Golden Knights in their inuagural post-season run and now.  End to end kind of stuff.  His effort playing on the 3rd line with the Wild, I don't think any of us thought he'd turn into what he did based on what we saw in that 6-game audition.  In fact, he was pretty inconsistent and while hindsight that looks bad, its the same deal with Kuemper.  When they were given a chance, they left you wanting a lot more even if if the stints were relatively small.  

I hope that answers your questions.    

I am surprised and worry already for both players Lodnia and Menell who recently signed contracts for Dinamo Minsk (Republic of Belarus). Hope, it will calm down the political situation there.

23 hours ago, Alexandron said:

I am surprised and worry already for both players Lodnia and Menell who recently signed contracts for Dinamo Minsk (Republic of Belarus). Hope, it will calm down the political situation there.

The situation in Belarus really is worrying. I wouldn't rule out a chaos of such proportions that Dinamo Minsk could not play because of it. In that case Lodnia and Menell would have to find another place to play in.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2020 at 12:07 PM, lynxrattle said:

The situation in Belarus really is worrying. I wouldn't rule out a chaos of such proportions that Dinamo Minsk could not play because of it. In that case Lodnia and Menell would have to find another place to play in.

Thanks Lynxrattle. I agree. I would prefer a LOT! to see them both(Lodnia and Menell)to cancel their contracts with Dinamo Minsk team and to play here(at least in Iowa Wild, but I'd like to see them both in the Wild team too) just for their safety. Happy life is more important than big money. You are completely right. Unfortunately, not sure if the recent political situation will calm down soon there. It is really worrying now for the last 3 weeks.  If they will be playing there, then Dinamo Minsk club should provide an exclusive warranty for their superb protection and even always to have for them body guards. Hope, both players will be smart enough do not approach to any protesters there. I do not want to see them as a victims of unfortunate political chaos happened recently in Belarus. I have relatives(uncle , aunt, cousins) there, but have a very difficult communications with them for the last 3 weeks(practically none) by internet , like they are living behind "an iron curtain". That is unfortunate reality there at the 21-st Century.

Yea, I'm not sure I'd want to take my career to Belarus right now.  But it is what it is, I heard their game against Jokerit yesterday was postponed because of threats of violence.  Did anyone see that Khovanov was a healthy scratch for Ak Bars Kazan's 1st game?  I am not sure if he's playing in the one today, his team is currently trailing 1-0.    

The KHL does not like the decision by Jokerit. If they had played it would have been interpreted as supporting the regime, now that they didn't it's interpreted as supporting the opposition. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I don't follow the KHL too much, as time's limited.

Just thought I'd drop this little note.  Alexander Khovanov has been scratched two games in a row for Ak Bars Kazan.  Belarus is a mess and Russia is propping up the dictator because that's what they like to do.  Like I said, I am not sure I'd want to be there if I'm any pro hockey player and be in the mess of what could be a civil war in that nation.  

Khovanov is a freshman. It takes a while to get playing time for him at established team. Hope, he will get some.

And regarding Jokerit team, they should be playing anyway in any country involved in KHL - Finland,Belarus,Russia,China, etc., because sport should stay away from politics in any country.

Lodnia was scratched for Dinamo Minsk today.  Menell on the otherhand had 3 assists in Dinamo's 5-4 OT win over Barys Astana.  So for the young forward prospects hoping to develop in the KHL, while the guy who spent some time in the AHL and thrived...is thriving in the KHL.  Hmm...maybe the AHL isn't such a bad league afterall.  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist

54 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Khovanov is a freshman. It takes a while to get playing time for him at established team. Hope, he will get some.

And regarding Jokerit team, they should be playing anyway in any country involved in KHL - Finland,Belarus,Russia,China, etc., because sport should stay away from politics in any country.

Who cares, he thought he was 'above' playing in the AHL.  Khovanov is probably finding out what every young player finds out, the game gets so much faster the higher the level you play.  Time and space become more and more fleeting and he's not going to have 3-4 seconds to decide what he wants to do with the puck like he did when he was in the 'Q'.  

22 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Lodnia was scratched for Dinamo Minsk today.  Menell on the otherhand had 3 assists in Dinamo's 5-4 OT win over Barys Astana.  So for the young forward prospects hoping to develop in the KHL, while the guy who spent some time in the AHL and thrived...is thriving in the KHL.  Hmm...maybe the AHL isn't such a bad league afterall.  

LIG, Not at all. AHL , in my opinion, is a 3rd hockey difficult  league in the world after NHL and KHL. Lodnia,understandable is a freshman for the real professional hockey. But for our Menell( 23 y.o.), who played already 3 seasons for the Iowa Wild team and 5 games with the Wild team, it was not a surprise that Dinamo Minsk(Republic of Belarus) gave him playing time right away. I just found out that the Wild organization did not signed him yet . Wow, the young Minnesotan defenseman from Woodbury,MN who had 42 assists in each of the last 2 seasons(total made 84 assists plus 17 assists during his 1st season) with the Iowa Wild team is still unsigned in our big club. I am really proud for him that in his 1st game(OT win) for the Dinamo Minsk team he had 3 assists against the team from Kazahstan Republic. I was hoping that 2 defenseman from Iowa Menell(1st) and Belpedio(2nd) will be playing for the Wild club this season, but ,unfortunately,it seems will not happen this soon. I also think, Mennel can replace a Spurgeon in the future, because he is a solid playmaker.

7 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Who cares, he thought he was 'above' playing in the AHL.  Khovanov is probably finding out what every young player finds out, the game gets so much faster the higher the level you play.  Time and space become more and more fleeting and he's not going to have 3-4 seconds to decide what he wants to do with the puck like he did when he was in the 'Q'.  

My wish also was seen him in AHL first, and then in NHL. I am still hoping that he will find his way even through KHL to play in NHL, which is the highest level of professional hockey. So far, Khovanov impressing me as a hard-working player who has plenty of talent. 

Actually we have 3 our prospects signed with Dinamo Minsk. Ivan Lodnia, Brennan Menell and Stepan Falkovsky. Lodnia did not played in any games, but both our defensemen played already for Belarus Cup: 2 games - Menell and 1 game- Falkovsky. They did not have any points in those games. So far Menell started successfully in KHL - 4 points in 2 games. In his first game he had 3 assists and in his second game (Dinamo won over Jokerit with a score 1:0) he had an assist too in that single goal.

Tomorrow is going to be an interesting game in KHL. Dinamo Minsk (we have 3 our prospects there) will be playing against Ak Bars Kazan team (we have 1 prospect there). We will see if any our players out of 4 will be involved into that game. Hope, at least Menell against Khovanov. Interesting fact, that Ak Bars(Kazan) team won with a score 3:2(OT) the 1st season game against CSKA (Moscow) team where Kaprizov was playing before.

Today, the game in Belarus between Dinamo Minsk team and Ak Bars Kazan team ended with a final score 4:5 in regulation. After 2 periods Dinamo was leading 4:3,but lost 2 goals in a 3rd. For Dinamo team all 3 our prospects were involved in the game. Menell had 2 shots on goal and had 1 assist; Lodnia and Falkovsky did not have shots on goal during that game. Alexander Khovanov was not involved for Ak Bars team in that game. I also found out through eliteprospects.com that Khovanov is planning to play also in VHL(Supreme Hockey League), which is a step down from KHL similar to our AHL for farm professional clubs prepping players for KHL even despite this league is functioning independently.

Here is a link to read more about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Hockey_League

54 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

Interesting. I didn't know about SHL. Let's hope there will be coaching available to help Khovanov to be a more wholesome player.

Probably, he is feeling it will be not much playing time for him at Ak Bars Kazan team, because of their veterans. Maybe SHL will give him that chance. Time will let us know.