Bryz's Passivity in Shoot-out

Guest Howie58

Greetings:

I hate to dump on this guy; maybe we see a year-end turnaround. But one of the most disturbing things I've seen with Bryz is his passivity during the SO. He does not challenge the shooters. Bryz sits back and lets them skate in.

Is this arrogance (he thinks it is possible to flash the pad or glove in a blink)? Or is this disengagement (he is really not attuned to what the hell is going on)? I posted this the last time he blew a SO; you'd think that Reese or someone would look at this films and see the "Groundhog Day" manner in which he plays goal in this situation--and threaten to ream his posterior if it continues.

Have a good week!

Howie

Hey Howie- sorry, but I'm getting to the point of what we see is what we get. This guy is so slow, how can he possibly snap out of his uselessness with THOSE reflexes? His game before that was ok, but it's beginning to look like we'll get 5 or 6 bad games with a fluke good game out of him. I know we need him to be good, but I just don't see it happening. There's nothing this clown has shown me this year that says 'elite" goalie. There's nothing that says "starter on a lousy team". To me he's got "KHL" written all over him and that's his upside. I'm looking for anything positive in his game, and see nothing. At least with Bob there's potential.

After yet ANOTHER let 5 in game, there is not a lot of defending anyone can do. I haven't looked it up but I would be willing to bet the Flyers have lost more games while scoring 4 or more than anyone else in the league.....

After yet ANOTHER let 5 in game, there is not a lot of defending anyone can do. I haven't looked it up but I would be willing to bet the Flyers have lost more games while scoring 4 or more than anyone else in the league.....

And remember, we are only 1-1 when scoring 8 or more...

In Bryzos defense,Thomas let as many in during regulation. My question is who decided on Wayne Simmonds in the shoot-out? Would the guilty party please stand up?

You're kidding right? Thomas plays great goal game in game out. Bryz plays horrific game in game out. If you can't see the difference between those two goalies, which is like comparing a rich gorgeous woman who owns vintage cars and the Flyers to a moldy grain of rice, I can't help you.

In Bryzos defense,Thomas let as many in during regulation. My question is who decided on Wayne Simmonds in the shoot-out? Would the guilty party please stand up?

Bryzgalov made a couple good saves and let in a dubious goal. Thomas held the Bruins in the game during one stretch and was far better in the shoot out. The number of goals was coincidental.

Edited by terp

Goals allowed. Bryz let in the most telling ones during the shootout. Offense not getting back fast enough. D not standing up and challenging the O enterring the zone. As good as Simmonds plays he is knocked off the puck too often FAILURE to clear too many times.

Still the biggest blame goes to Brygalov for going down and leaving the top of the net open.JMO

Greetings:

This is not the Flyers kind of team I grew up with. This is offensive pedal to the metal rather than grind and D. That said, we made a great comeback yesterday and blew a lead on two relatively soft goals. The SO...yikes.

Howie

@Howie58

Bryz was never this bad in the shootout or one on ones.

2010-11: 32 shootout attempts plus 3 penalty shots, 11 GA (.685 SV%)

2009-10: 62 shootout attempts plus 2 penalty shots, 17 GA (.806 SV%)

2008-09: 20 shootout attempts and 0 penalty shots, 10 GA (.500 SV%)

2007-08: 29 shootout attempts plus 1 penalty shots, 9 GA (.700 SV%)

2006-07: 13 shootout attempts and 0 penalty shots, 6 GA (.538 SV%)

2005-06: 0 shootout attempts plus 2 penalty shots, 1 GA (.500 SV%)

So what is so different in Philly compared to Phoenix or Anaheim?

Is it thelack of a positive mindset and practice effort with regards to the shootout? Bryz has previously stated that he dislikes it, which IMO is an invitation for failure. We then have a practice setting of the bad shooting on the horrible.

Greetings:

This is not the Flyers kind of team I grew up with. This is offensive pedal to the metal rather than grind and D. That said, we made a great comeback yesterday and blew a lead on two relatively soft goals. The SO...yikes.

Howie

Hope you're well Howie.

I think for example the Bruins might be more "your Dad's Flyers" than the current group. But I like our team and like its style of play. The Flyers are one of the better skating teams in the league and the emphasis on speed might initially make one think that it would tend not to be a physical team as well, though it is both up tempo and very physical. They out hit the Bruins yesterday by a big margin.

I am not sure about other teams, but we have lost 4 games while scoring 4 or more. Somehow I thought that was going to be higher. Yet truthfully, 3 goals forced average per game should be enough. If you look at the top 10 goalies, there gaa highest is 2.30. Point 70 goals difference is allot. You should win MOST of your games if you score 3 goals on average (the Flyers have scored 3 goals or more 29 times this season).

yeah except even when the D is pretty good (from Simmonds) - not great but pretty good - on Bergeron's early goal... Simmonds is trailing but he catches Bergeron. Marchant centers - duh, what else can he do from the end line? - and Simmonds whacks at Berg's stick, makes him work for it...and Bryz STILL can't shut the door. 50 seconds into the game and everybody is thinking "jeez here we go again."

Yeah I know it was a good pass, I know Bergeron can score goals and I guess the Boston rush was off a turnover. But jeezuschrist Brzygalov is once again Mr. Small in net.

To the Flyers credit they worked hard and got the lead back. But it was all for nothing because Bryzgalov lets another deflection beat him (Krejci) early in the 3rd... then really embarrasses himself on Campbell / Paille's goal, the go-ahead goal. He doesn't lock off the post with his skate and it dribbles through - what else is new?

At some point the Flyers brass have to admit this guy can't get it done - for whatever reasons he's just not working out in Philly. Let Bob finish the season as the starter, win lose or shootout. Bryzgalov's game is obviously nowhere to be found. One "almost-solid" game every 6 starts is not what we bargained for...He should sit as a backup and earn his starts from now on. This is just bullsh!t, watching the Flyers keep playing him, hoping he finds his game. Fk that. Enough is enough.

@Howie58

Bryz was never this bad in the shootout or one on ones.

2010-11: 32 shootout attempts plus 3 penalty shots, 11 GA (.685 SV%)

2009-10: 62 shootout attempts plus 2 penalty shots, 17 GA (.806 SV%)

2008-09: 20 shootout attempts and 0 penalty shots, 10 GA (.500 SV%)

2007-08: 29 shootout attempts plus 1 penalty shots, 9 GA (.700 SV%)

2006-07: 13 shootout attempts and 0 penalty shots, 6 GA (.538 SV%)

2005-06: 0 shootout attempts plus 2 penalty shots, 1 GA (.500 SV%)

So what is so different in Philly compared to Phoenix or Anaheim?

Is it thelack of a positive mindset and practice effort with regards to the shootout? Bryz has previously stated that he dislikes it, which IMO is an invitation for failure. We then have a practice setting of the bad shooting on the horrible.

Thanks for the assessment. Brz's performance is the 6 million dollar riddle for which we have no answer. Maybe he Orange and Black give him some unnamed neurological problem.

Howie