• Lightning Zap the Isles and Sweep 4
    • Lightning Have Just a Little Trouble and win in 5
    • Lightning Take a Tough Series in 6
    • Lightning Take a Maximum Game Series in 7
    • Islanders Shock Everyone and Pull a Columbus in 4
    • Islanders Trotz the Bolts and Win In 5
    • Islanders Grit Out a Hard Won Series in 6
    • Islanders Outlast the Bolts and Thrill Win in 7

If you're the Islanders that result has to hella-suck. 

They played their game and played it pretty well, kind of amazing to me they actually went "heavier" with Andrew Ladd and it mostly worked.

Going forward though, Point's injury looked gross. There ain't no black ace to fill the hole he creates. That will be a problem, I really liked how Kucherov stepped up his game it seemed he was always on the ice from mid way through the second period. Nice job by Cooper & staff to figure out how to play 2 men down effectively. 

Down Stamkos?
Bolts have Point.
Down Point?
Bolts have Kucherov.

The depth is definitely there.
However, I don't like the looks of this team as much with Point missing from the lineup either.
Kucherov, while still a big threat on the ice at all times, will become easier to target with less effective sniper and playmaker types on the Bolts playing sans Stamkos, Point, and if a suspension comes along, no Killorn either.

TB has guys like Carter Verhaeghe or Mitchell Stephens, and they are decent enough forwards, but they are nowhere near enough to fill in the holes created by Point and/or Stamkos' absence.

This means guys like Tyler Johnson, Anthony Cirelli, and Yanni Gourde are gonna have to step up THEIR games.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Down Stamkos?
Bolts have Point.
Down Point?
Bolts have Kucherov.

The depth is definitely there.
However, I don't like the looks of this team as much with Point missing from the lineup either.
Kucherov, while still a big threat on the ice at all times, will become easier to target with less effective sniper and playmaker types on the Bolts playing sans Stamkos, Point, and if a suspension comes along, no Killorn either.

TB has guys like Carter Verhaeghe or Mitchell Stephens, and they are decent enough forwards, but they are nowhere near enough to fill in the holes created by Point and/or Stamkos' absence.

This means guys like Tyler Johnson, Anthony Cirelli, and Yanni Gourde are gonna have to step up THEIR games.

So who is next man up if Point can't go?

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So who is next man up if Point can't go?

Anthony Cirelli has been the 2C when Point was in.... Cirelli may be asked to center the top line.
Tyler Johnson, who came up as a center, but has been used at wing the last two seasons, may be asked to come back to be the 2C.
Blake Coleman may have to take the 3C duties.

Cirelli is a good young player, but he has not been super effective these playoffs (at least not offensively), and I still think he may be a season or two away from permanently being a top six center.
But if Point can't go, he will be thrown in there I would think....trial by fire, if you would.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Anthony Cirelli has been the 2C when Point was in.... Cirelli may be asked to center the top line.
Tyler Johnson, who came up as a center, but has been used at wing the last two seasons, may be asked to come back to be the 2C.
Blake Coleman may have to take the 3C duties.

Cirelli is a good young player, but he has not been super effective these playoffs (at least not offensively), and I still think he may be a season or two away from permanently being a top six center.
But if Point can't go, he will be thrown in there I would think....trial by fire, if you would.

Now you could be done two players.

22 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Now you could be done two players.

Kucherov has 12 points in his last 5 playoff games, and is in the running for the Conn Smythe. I think Cirelli would be OK,  maybe more than OK.. centering their top line for a couple of games, while Point is on the mend. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Kucherov has 12 points in his last 5 playoff games, and is in the running for the Conn Smythe. I think Cirelli would be OK,  maybe more than OK.. centering their top line for a couple of games, while Point is on the mend. 

Flyers got by with Laughton for one game with Coots out so stranger things have happened.

There is no answer for filling that role (Point). He's unique.

At least Tampa can start the game with a full quiver.

I think the matchup with the Barzal line just got a whole lot trickier for the "'ning".

I would definitely try to get Hedman out vs that line as much as possible.

The Isles get last change, I think Trotz will use that well.

I still think this series goes into the grinding 6 or 7 territory.

The Isles proved they can dictate the terms of the game, Trotz will use that.

Very intriguing series.

As a follow up to my previous post where @OccamsRazor asked about "next man up"...
Here are the projected lineups according to DailyFaceOff dot com.
These are subject to change of course, but they seem about right, with a couple exceptions.

As you can see, they have Cirelli on the top line as expected, but not having Point, Stamkos, AND Killorn does skew things all over the place as guys are having to be slotted higher than they would normally...in some cases, like Goodrow on the 2nd line, and Yanni Gourde at Center AND Luke Schenn, a defenseman, as a 4th line forward....dramatically.

On paper, this group, as structured, looks like they might have trouble scoring consistently if the Isles play an almost flawless defensive style.
Unless that top line REALLY steps up or goals come from the defense, the Bolts may have to settle winning another low scoring game, if they indeed can navigate past Barry Trotz' schemes...especially when the Islanders will have "last change" for Games 3 and 4 now.

I find it interesting that Gourde and not Blake Coleman is slotted into the C position.
Gourde has always been an NHL winger, whereas Coleman was a C/W with New Jersey.
Also, Tyler Johnson came up through the Bolts system and on the NHL for much of his time with the team as a center....yet he too is slotted as a winger.

Johnson hasn't been particularly effective these playoffs at wing...why not just slot him back to his old center spot and see what happens?
Jon Cooper can't site "familiarity" with linemates becaues one look at this lineup, and one can easily see many guys playing guys they aren't used to in a game situation.

Yet somehow, they are gonna have to make this work.

Elsewhere, some Colorado Avalanche fans had been crying about their injuries and how, if it weren't for this or that, they would have taken care of Dallas.
To that I say, BS and stop whining.
The Bolts have had a competitive team for a few years now.....and in almost every instance, they have had significant injuries that may or may not have helped derail them from winning it all............and these playoffs, that trend continues.

Is it a factor? Sure.
Is it a legit excuse? No, sir, it is not.

Next man up.....a team's depth counts just as much as its top line star players.
If a team doesn't have it (I always questioned Colorado's), then they aren't winning if they are missing certain players.

I can only hope the Bolts "have it"....they will be tested on that front yet again.

1904274766_LINEUPSFORG3.jpg.fe1111dd11bd1515ffe11bdb6328c8eb.jpg

Point is a man on a mission and if the postseason ended today he would absolutely be the odds on favorite to win the Conn Smythe. Man they are a different team with him in the lineup. Stamkos out? No problem. Point misses a game it is the only game they lost to the Isles. If Point had played game 3 the series would be over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Point is a man on a mission and if the postseason ended today he would absolutely be the odds on favorite to win the Conn Smythe. Man they are a different team with him in the lineup. Stamkos out? No problem. Point misses a game it is the only game they lost to the Isles. If Point had played game 3 the series would be over.

Missing Alex Killorn on that suspension was very important as well.

Sure, overall, I'd rather have the likes of Point, but Killorn's presence makes sure the other depth players are slotted properly.
Missing him, guys in the bottom six need to be moved up a line or two and get more minutes than they probably should.

Killorn also can move all over the top 9, playing the role of checking forward with playmaking skill and sniper skills on a low level line.....or space maker, agitator, and playmaker for a skilled forward on a top line.
Very verstatile.
With both he and Point back in, NY had more than their hands full.

But yea, Point is making his "point" that he is Conn Smythe worthy.

He looked fantastic again in Game 4....but then, he wasn't seen in the 3rd period, so wondering what that was all about.
Came back too soon?
Helped his team to yet another win, but at what cost?

Hopefully the coaching staff was just being overly cautious once the Bolts took a 3-1 lead en route to their win.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So when is Stamkos coming back to jinx yall???

Asking for a friend...

In all seriousness, I have no clue.
And the Lightning aren't letting out any details other than "he isn't ready".

It was suggested that it will definitely not be for the remainder of the series with the Islanders, but leaving the door open to a return (though not guaranteed) for the Finals, should Tampa Bay get there.

Some have suggested that if there is any doubt whatsoever about his health, he should be shut down till the new season starts sometime in December or January, and if the Lightning do win the Cup, he still gets his name on it because he qualified by playing in enough games during the season.

I am pretty sure he'd like to get back and be part of any Cup triumph the team would have (if they are to win..... I realize they still have a series to close out and a Western opponent in the way before any celebrations can be planned), but the team should be set for multiple Cup runs, and he won't be part of THOSE if he keeps regressing in health by coming back before he should.

It is bittersweet, what the team is doing, for him I am sure.
And for fans such as myself who would love to see him out there.

Tampa seems to be on their game, and certainly shouldn't panic, even though the Islanders finally found some good fortune on their PP. Unfortunate penalty to Kucherov, but smart play by Nelson to embellish just a little and make sure the ref saw the trip. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Tampa seems to be on their game, and certainly shouldn't panic, even though the Islanders finally found some good fortune on their PP. Unfortunate penalty to Kucherov, but smart play by Nelson to embellish just a little and make sure the ref saw the trip. 

Game feels very lethargic...on both sides.

That may play into the Islanders' hands though.
If they put everyone to sleep, and lock down the neutral zone, they could just skate away with this 1-0

• Like 1