Sam Morin for '20-'21

Howie58

I was wondering about this kid, and whether the organization had forgotten him:

https://broadstreetbuzz.com/2020/09/14/flyers-morin-start-ahl-next-season/

It's sad to think he has only played 28 games the last three years.  I hope he gets a chance to rehab and return.  He will never be a Pronger substitute but having a serviceable call-up wouldn't be bad.  

hi @Howie58

I don't know if he was ever going to be a Pronger type, I was always taking "mean Tyler Myers" from his scouting reports.

All the injuries he's had really makes him a hard case to project.  Is he done being broken?  or is he Sam Bowie, big and physically gifted but his joints can't handle the stress.

There's no way to really know, I don't know how many players have started their careers being injury prone and have gone on to be great, like you said maybe he's an effective call up or #7. 

I've seen a lot of good things about his work ethic and attitude, so maybe that's an intangible to keep in the organization in some capacity. 

I'm sure the young man doesn't want to be making lattes at Tim Horton's

• Like 2

I'm pulling for the kid but he is behind in his development and will require waivers to be sent down to work on his game in the AHL.

Hopefully no one will snag him on waivers seems it would have to be a desperate team since if he is claimed he would have to stay on their NHL roster and he just isn't ready for that. So he will get a chance to work on his game next season with the Phantoms.

I hope he has better luck heath wise and i think when ready he could be a nasty mobile guy the other team wouldn't want to play against.

But right now he has a long way to go and a lot to prove. I think he will pretty much spend all of next year in the AHL of course unless the Flyers have a rash of injuries and he just wows them and shows he is ready for a call up. The good news he is still relatively young just turned 25 so i think if he can ever prove he is ready he won't be costly to keep around as a depth defenseman.

Till then i wish him luck...but now he also has a lot of competition for limited roster spots on the Flyers...

the kind of player he is on paper is a kind of guy I think we need on the back end: big, mean porch clearer. we lacked some toughness especially evident in the NYI series where we got pummeled and didn't have much of an answer. I saw some mean flashes from Myers and Sanheim, but like a lot of people said they will need to put on some weight and muscle—I'm not worried about them and think they will handle themselves fine in the next couple seasons. The injuries Morin has had over and over have been a huge setback for him—I don't think he'll ever be the player he had the potential to be when we drafted him. Morin was never going to be a Pronger type, but that's how I'd play him in NHL21.

• Like 1

Most franchises don't toss a first rounder.  His trajectory is tough and you have to admire his perseverance.   I guess he joins another first rounder named Nolan in facing a test season.  Under a worst case, we end up having relatively little payoff from either.  Time will tell.  I have to wonder if he could be a strange form of trade bait as reclamation project if he survives in the AHL.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I was wondering about this kid, and whether the organization had forgotten him:

https://broadstreetbuzz.com/2020/09/14/flyers-morin-start-ahl-next-season/

It's sad to think he has only played 28 games the last three years.  I hope he gets a chance to rehab and return.  He will never be a Pronger substitute but having a serviceable call-up wouldn't be bad.  

I know we have the beauty of hindsight right now and ain't trying to start a war of back n forth...

...but what if they had just drafted Ryan Pulock back in 2013...a right hand shot even....food for thought...thanks Homer!!!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hindsight is 20/20, unfortunately. Scouts were raving about Morin going into the draft and the trajectory that he was on. I remember that year and I really wanted Josh Morrisey to be the pick. I thought the Flyers needed a legitimate puck moving power play defenseman and he fit the bill. When they took Sam though, I understood why. How could you not be intrigued by a 6'7, 200+ pound defenseman that can play with snarl and could skate like there's no tomorrow. He was also a decent puck carrier and had a bomb of a shot from the point. I'll agree that the Pronger comparisons much. Sam compared more favourably to Zdeno Chara, especially when it came to their growth in the game. 

I still think Sam can be a player and a good one at that. The knee injuries were flukes. When you see how he was injured, it was bull - **** luck. I think having this year of not worrying about the big club and playing in the AHL to get himself back into game shape will be good for him.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2020 at 4:21 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Hindsight is 20/20, unfortunately. Scouts were raving about Morin going into the draft and the trajectory that he was on. I remember that year and I really wanted Josh Morrisey to be the pick. I thought the Flyers needed a legitimate puck moving power play defenseman and he fit the bill. When they took Sam though, I understood why. How could you not be intrigued by a 6'7, 200+ pound defenseman that can play with snarl and could skate like there's no tomorrow. He was also a decent puck carrier and had a bomb of a shot from the point. I'll agree that the Pronger comparisons much. Sam compared more favourably to Zdeno Chara, especially when it came to their growth in the game. 

I still think Sam can be a player and a good one at that. The knee injuries were flukes. When you see how he was injured, it was bull - **** luck. I think having this year of not worrying about the big club and playing in the AHL to get himself back into game shape will be good for him.

I hope you are right. 

I'm really wanting to see Zdeno Sam Pronger to be able to suit up for the Flyers not too distant from now. Watching him and Ghost at the same time in the lineup was wonderful as Sam was able to speed back on defense to break up a play that was an odd man rush.

He had the stride and the stick to stop a lot of bad things coming our way.

And my long desire attribute to clear the dam porch from fleas popping in by our goalie.

Bring back Rinaldo, he was pro active of taking out the trash that came our way.

A lot of times I want to blurt out, "take out that bum" and there won't be a "did you see him dance his way around that player?" No, you cancel him out. Erase him from the equation. At least Hagg does this along with his micro hits in game.

On 9/25/2020 at 11:02 PM, mkscrewy said:

I hope you are right. 

I think Sam can be effective third pair defender. The knee injuries though could be problematic to overcome. If he overcomes them, you've got a physical and intimidating presence along the blue line that could really give other teams fits. It's too bad that the Hextall/Haktard regime had no idea how to use him. If they did, he could have been a beauty of a shutdown d. 

for his own sake, I hope he can recover and be good enough to join the big club. i hope he can be a big, mean, tough MF-er for the Flyers. the injuries, to me, are worrisome. maybe someone with more experience in this realm has a more positive outlook.