Special Hockey Night in Canada......

Guest Vanflyer

CBC to broadcast game upon Crosby's return.

Crosby is an enormous talent, but to send the CBC trucks to Pittsburgh for Crosby's return for a Monday night game against the Islanders no less is just too much for me. Its great for the game that he is back, but can the league and media stop sucking on his cock so much??

There are 29 other teams, many of which have GREAT players. Why does Crosby continue to be the face of the league?

http://www.breakingnews.com/item/ahBicmVha2luZ25ld3Mtd3d3cg0LEgRTZWVkGI61qwUM/2011/11/20/special-hockey-night-in-canada-to-carry-crosby-return-pens-isles-game-starts-on-cbc-at-7-pm-et-crosby

Edited by Vanflyer

He has been out for almost a year. I don't have a problem with it. Of course they'll continue to show Pens games more than anything not named Leafs after this though, and that I have a problem with.

I guess, but if it was me I probably would of done a American Thanksgiving eve game (St Louis @ Pittsburg) and then Saturday night Pittsburgh @ Montreal. While Crosby's return will have a certain level of appeal, the Pittsburgh - Islanders have zero appeal for me. I would rather see Blues - Pittsburgh and then Pittsburg - Montreal.

But, thats just me.

(I didn't realize he was out for almost a year). I guess I would ask to name another player that is out for a year and would they do a "special" HNIC episode, particularly one on a horrible ratings night on a horrible match-up?

I mentioned in another thread I though he'd come back for this game, because it starts a 3 game homestand. Americans will all be watching football on Thanksgiving (as will a lot of Canadians) so that really doesn't have as much "ooomph" factor. The only other player i could see them doing this for would be Shelley...or Carcillo.

Ha ha on Shelley and Carcillo.

The Blues - Pittsburgh game is TG eve (Wednesday night). While tradition for allot is to go out Wednesday night, allot finish errands for Thursday and take it easy Wednesday night). For me a Wednesday night game of Blues - Pittsburgh is much more appealing than the Islanders Monday night game (that in US will go up against Monday night football).

<< Ah, Thanksgiving eve, I missed that part. I see your point, but I still figured he would come back for the 3 game homestand. >>

That was a good call. I think there's no rhyme or reason other than this is the 1st home game after it was decided he was ready. MNF football isn't even the headline prime time game in the US anymore. That torch was passed to SNF a few years back.

MNF football isn't even the headline prime time game in the US anymore. That torch was passed to SNF a few years back.

Good point. I could mostly careless about football regardless what day / night it is played.

I still think that Wednesday game makes better sense, but that is just me.

Crosby is an enormous talent, but to send the CBC trucks to Pittsburgh for Crosby's return for a Monday night game against the Islanders no less is just too much for me.

@Vanflyer, as a lover of the CBC, as a taxpayer that funds the CBC, and as a devoted Crosby hater, I agree with you: it is too much.

I was both impressed by the nimbleness with which CBC pulled this off and disgusted by their desire to suck Crosby cock.

@Vanflyer, as a lover of the CBC, as a taxpayer that funds the CBC, and as a devoted Crosby hater, I agree with you: it is too much.

I was both impressed by the nimbleness with which CBC pulled this off and disgusted by their desire to suck Crosby cock.

Here is the thing that really gets me. HNIC has always been about highlighting a CANADIAN team. There yearly schedule always has a Canadian team. While some will argue that 70% of the league is Canadian players, the whole point of HNIC has always been to premiere a team that plays in Canada.

I think Crosby is a great talent and that he has matured and am pleased that he is returning to the league. But this Media and League stuff with him just has to stop. Talk about saturation overkill.

In an earlier post, I suggested they televise the Wednesday game (St Louis v. Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh) as it would be a nice gesture towards the American Thanksgiving. I also suggested they could Televise the Saturday night game Pittsburgh at Montreal. Well, low and behold, I just looked up the HNIC schedule and the Pittsburgh @ Montreal game is already on the books. So, why in the world do they need this "special" MONDAY night game against the LOWLY Islanders??

True. Except when it comes to playoffs.

In any event, Crosby is the world's best hockey player and he is from Canada, so I guess that trumps everything.

Unfortunately, you're probably dead on.

I kind of hope he plays well, in the hopes that some of the few who still watch the NBA might get interested casually in hockey.