Tim Thomas Skips White House Visit

Guest The Quigster

Meanwhile at Gitmo.....

I get that he doesn't like how the world works and doesn't want to visit the White House blah blah, blah. Seriously though, does he have to make such an event out of not going?

Next time I have to go to my in-laws for the weekend there better be a ******* press conference with Fox News, CNBC, MSNBC, Bloomberg, BBC, Al Jazeera, etc....

I guess it's easy to play his political role when he makes more than this entire board combined, but who am I to complain?

Edited by Bertmega

@Podein25 - quote from that article:

"But yesterday was not about politics and government until Thomas made it about politics and government".

Bingo. But now that I think about it, if Thomas is so opposed to our federal government (ours, not yours) then he should probably refuse to play in Washington DC. I'm sure Caps fans would support him in his crusade.

True... but that probably would have just drawn more attention. But, you're right, he could have just not said anything.

That option probably wasn't on the table. It's clear that Boston management wanted him to go. If he says nothing then it probably creates a media circus around injury rumors. I'm sure they made it clear to him that he needed to make a statement about it.

Still, I think podes summed it up nicely... It's immature at the very least. It's highly selfish for sure. Sure he thinks he's doin it for the little guy, but that's fairly offensive because Thomas IS part of that 1%. How Gandhi-esque of you sir Thomas.

I just think there are other, more appropriate, times and places to make your very political statement. A *team* function is not one of them. What's next!? I didn't save that goal as a protest to the policies of our government!?

Kudos to cam Neely for expressing that management is disappointed.

A good article in the Boston Globe on this.

http://bostonglobe.c...kBfL/story.html

"Shabby. Immature. Unprofessional. Self-centered. Bush league" - that about sums up my views.

And that's the beauty of free speech. You can trash his position all you want. And others can support it. And I'm sure Thomas won't care one iota what any of us thinks.

Meanwhile at Gitmo.....

I get that he doesn't like how the world works and doesn't want to visit the White House blah blah, blah. Seriously though, does he have to make such an event out of not going?

Next time I have to go to my in-laws for the weekend there better be a ******* press conference with Fox News, CNBC, MSNBC, Bloomberg, BBC, Al Jazeera, etc....

I guess it's easy to play his political role when he makes more than this entire board combined, but who am I to complain?

No no.. This is perfect. This opens up the opportunity to get out of *anything* you don't feel like doing under political opposition. Next time you're supposed to go to the in-laws, just invoke the Thomas on them.

That option probably wasn't on the table. It's clear that Boston management wanted him to go. If he says nothing then it probably creates a media circus around injury rumors. I'm sure they made it clear to him that he needed to make a statement about it.

Still, I think podes summed it up nicely... It's immature at the very least. It's highly selfish for sure. Sure he thinks he's doin it for the little guy, but that's fairly offensive because Thomas IS part of that 1%. How Gandhi-esque of you sir Thomas.

I just think there are other, more appropriate, times and places to make your very political statement. A *team* function is not one of them. What's next!? I didn't save that goal as a protest to the policies of our government!?

Kudos to cam Neely for expressing that management is disappointed.

And again, that's the exact notion of living in a free society. He chose to do it here and now. By going, you are making an implicit statement that you support those institutions. I'm sure none of the players see it that way, but Thomas saw it that way for himself.

And that's the beauty of free speech. You can trash his position all you want. And others can support it. And I'm sure Thomas won't care one iota what any of us thinks.

Take your libertarian views and get the f**k out of my country! - jk

Take your libertarian views and get the f**k out of my country! - jk

Haha, I wouldn't call that libertarian at all, but tomato, to-mah-to. ;) I would think that regardless of political stripe, the guarantee of free speech is a fundamental tenet.

Well if I was Tim Thomas and had his views (which I do), I would have chosen not to go. You can bet that he was pressured to make that event, especially by the UNION driven NHLPA to show that they as a whole (the Union), have his back and support him. TT did not stand on a podium and start taking sides, preaching what you should or should not do, He made his own personal views known which in my world, will get my vote when he decides to run for political office. ;)

Actually, it's been made clear that the team's front office pressured him to go. Pretty sure they're not in bed with the NHLPA. They probably wanted him to go because you know, he was part of the team. If it was me, I would go regardless of who is in the Oval Office at that particular time, because as an American I respect the office no matter who sits at the desk. And I would respect my team mates enough to not want to distract from what should be a very proud day for them.

Oh and by the way, you might want to hold off on committing your vote for Thomas until he actually runs for something and makes his positions clearly known (if he can). Funny how when people actually get into the political arena, things tend to get a lot less black and white. Positions somehow... change. Funny how that works.

And again, that's the exact notion of living in a free society. He chose to do it here and now. By going, you are making an implicit statement that you support those institutions. I'm sure none of the players see it that way, but Thomas saw it that way for himself.

Did you read that globe article? Of course he can say what he wants... But it's far more effective, mature... And most of all... Respectful of his teammates if he sucks it up and goes. It would have been far more honorable, and very newsworthy, if he would have made his statement directly to Obama himself.

If he had... I'd have a hell of a lot more respect for him. As it is, this episode certainly takes him down a notch in my book. In fact, more than a notch... This kinda puts him in douchebag territory.

It also makes it very interesting that Thomas removed all of the Boston bruins affiliation from his goalie equipment. Lookout... Methinks we have a badass over here now. With all the praise heaped on him in the last year, it seems his ego has taken off from planet earth.

I would go regardless of who is in the Oval Office at that particular time,

Not sure if this has been covered already, but my one and only question for TT is: "would you have gone if the Republicans were in office?"

Could he answer "no" with a straight face? I bet he couldn't. And that is hypocrisy of the highest order.

Not sure if this has been covered already, but my one and only question for TT is: "would you have gone if the Republicans were in office?"

Could he answer "no" with a straight face? I bet he couldn't. And that is hypocrisy of the highest order.

I have another question for him, how will he feel when they yank his Discover card commercial? "Peggy? Peggy?"

True... but that probably would have just drawn more attention. But, you're right, he could have just not said anything.

I look at it this way: nearly everyone here has political views but we choose not to trot them out on this forum. We spare others our political views out of respect and because we have other priorities.

Similarly, Tim Thomas isn't the only Bruin with political views, but he might be the only one that doesn't understand that he can both have a conscience and not insult his teammates and his organization. This was selfishness masquerading as conscience.

Did you read that globe article? Of course he can say what he wants... But it's far more effective, mature... And most of all... Respectful of his teammates if he sucks it up and goes. It would have been far more honorable, and very newsworthy, if he would have made his statement directly to Obama himself.

If he had... I'd have a hell of a lot more respect for him. As it is, this episode certainly takes him down a notch in my book. In fact, more than a notch... This kinda puts him in douchebag territory.

It also makes it very interesting that Thomas removed all of the Boston bruins affiliation from his goalie equipment. Lookout... Methinks we have a badass over here now. With all the praise heaped on him in the last year, it seems his ego has taken off from planet earth.

Sure, all true.. but he's not trying to live up to your standards of 'maturity' and 'honour'. He's living up to his own. Did Richards handle the media in a 'mature' 'captain-like' way during the Great Freeze Out of 2010? Not by my standards, but then he's not living by my standards. So we can all sit here and point the finger and judge - whether supporting Thomas' actions or not - but he wasn't trying to 'please' any of us.

Absolutely agreed. I don't know his political stripe, and frankly, I don't care. But you;re right... his note makes it clear that it's not aimed at one party, but at both. But we'll never know, I guess. Unless, *gulp* they win the Cup this year and a Repub is elected prez.

Which might just happen.

Absolutely agreed. I don't know his political stripe, and frankly, I don't care. But you;re right... his note makes it clear that it's not aimed at one party, but at both. But we'll never know, I guess. Unless, *gulp* they win the Cup this year and a Repub is elected prez.

Which might just happen.

I like the chances of the Bruins repeating better than the chances of the Repubs taking back the White House...but since this is a hockey forum I shall say no more on the matter (get it? I'm paraphrasing Thomas!)

A good article in the Boston Globe on this.

http://bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/01/24/thomas-absence-left-bruins-shorthanded/0IZldFXHIvciMSfbNnkBfL/story.html

"Shabby. Immature. Unprofessional. Self-centered. Bush league" - that about sums up my views.

I had forgotten he was an Olimpian. Sure places in doubt the "honesty" he's being credited with by some.

That may be true for a state senator, my guess is most people in this country couldn't name their state senators anyway. Doesn't really hold for the president though. Nobody is going to vote for Obama because he met the Boston Bruins at the White House. The President of the USA doesn't need a hockey team to get in the news. Every president does this, and everyone knows it. It's not going to bring any benefit to Obama.

Yeah, I agree. You assume everyone knows the Presidents name, and they probably do. But that doesn't stop these guys from taking each and every opportunity they can to promote themselves. It's like a drug. Under your theory, why would the President need to spend probably $1 billion - no exaggeration - by the end of this 2012 campaign? He's already in the news every day. But that's my point. This is just another opportunity for him to get on tv smiling and shaking hands. This is free media coverage. Bonus. Benefit. I don't know that someone won't vote for Obama because he honored the Bruins. I'm not saying it's a bad thing for him to take advantage of this free coverage. Good for him. But don't kid yourself that these types of events aren't done for self-promotion purposes.

I think people put way too much stock in these White House visits. Do you really think in the immediate and near aftermath of winning the Stanley Cup they thought about going to the White House to meet Obama? Not a chance. I highly doubt his teammates look at him any differently for exercising his right by not going and if they do it speaks to their own insecurity and they are the ones with the issue not him.

I wish politicians would just stay out of the whole thing and not inject themselves into celebrating these victories on behalf of the team - in any sport. The parade's enough in my opinion.