2020 Stanley Cup Champions

Brewin Flames

Considering what every team in this years post season had to go through, boy was this beyond deserved...

We as fans might have soured a little bit given the format, and the auora, and i'll admit, i stopped paying attention at one point, but this was some amazing playoff hockey,

• Like 1

My thought here is the best team won. 

Tampa was the chalk; they were great pre COVID-19 and were able to win the tournament without their captain. 

I'm sure the bubble presented unique challenges. They won 4 best of 7 series which is an accomplishment no matter what preceded the start.

I enjoyed the hockey, I hope their fans enjoy the win, that team is going to be good for a few more years so that's a target for aspiring clubs. 

• Like 1

Feels good to have a hometown champion once again.....
Not since 2002 Bucs in the NFL and 2004 Lightning have I been able to say that MY team was the absolute best in its sport.

This whole Covid stop and re-start DID put a damper on the whole excitement level, I will say.
And I even went on to say that no matter WHO wins (Bolts included), that winner should have an asterisk next to their name.

Do I still feel that way? To a degree.... but in this case, I will unashamedly let my bias take over and just say that the Lightning were one of the favorites if not THE favorite to win pre-Covid, and well, they just did it.

Early on in the start of the playoffs, once I got over myself and just enjoyed the hockey for what it was, the whole stop and restart thing just sorta melted into the background and I let the action on the ice, no matter what team it was, take center stage.

Glad I did that. Hockey, to me, is STILL one of the most entertaining spectator team sports out there and I can say my Tampa Bay Lightning are the very best at that sport I love to watch so much!

Stamkos and Hedman...man, what a journey together.
They were the start of this new core we have now....back when the Bolts were still picking up the pieces from the previous Cup winner that had turned into a collection of players that just were hoping to be NHL viable.

Stamkos came in with high expectations, but he had guys like LeCavalier and Marty St. Louis to help mentor him.
Hedman came in, barely able to shave, certainly not old enough to drink, as a second overall pick, started a bit slowly (at one point, some people even labeled him a bust!), but he persevered, worked on his craft and became the Norris winning, Conn Smythe winning, Stanley Cup champ he is today.

And those two guys are still "young veterans"....a chance to do this very thing once or twice more perhaps, because the other players on the team are so good and the ownership and management (and previous management, ode to Stevie Y) did and does such a good job in continuing to find and develop players for the big club.

I like the feel of the Bolts being champs.... but, I will admit, I still have this nagging thing about the whole Covid restart....and would like the Lighting to pull a Chicago, Detroit, or Pittsburgh, and get a couple more Cups with this core to put ANY and all doubts to rest.

But for now, the Lightning are the best in the league.
Hopefully, soon, they will get a chance to defend that Cup against hungry competitors.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 3

The shutdown, i was for it, for obvious reasons, and  i was not with the whole "return to play" idea, because to me the whole Stanley Cup Vibe just was not there.

However, no one told the players that (fu*king rask).....

Damned if they did not pour everything they had into this, and there was some insane hockey played in this years format...

Draft day, although once again not the same is in one week....so let's get it going again, right now !

20 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

However, no one told the players that (fu*king rask).....

Really bro.......his daughter was sick. Let it go.

I can't believe Bruins fans would hold that against a man for taking care of his family.

I can't wrap my head around the fact that fans would want a man there when his head wasn't on the game.

Bruin fans disgust me...and Philly fan always get the bad rap...amazing.

20 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Really bro.......his daughter was sick. Let it go.

I can't believe Bruins fans would hold that against a man for taking care of his family.

I can't wrap my head around the fact that fans would want a man there when his head wasn't on the game.

Bruin fans disgust me...and Philly fan always get the bad rap...amazing.

Obviously you don't read enough of my posts to know where i stand on the issue....I 100 percent supported rask and his choice to leave.

My (rask) comment was just pointing out the fact that he indeed say that this years post season did not have the same atmosphere as in the past, for obvious reasons.

Blake Coleman, Barclay Goodrow, Luke Schenn, Zach Bogosian, Patrick Maroon.
Though not considered part of the TB Lightning 'core', are the very important hired guns gotten through trades or through low cost signings that really helped get the Bolts over the hump.

To a lesser degree, Kevin Shattenkirk qualifies as that as well, although for him, it was more about reviving his career by signing a low cost one year, show-me contract with the Bolts.
If he did well, he could translate that to a big contract either with the Lightning themselves or somewhere else....and if he won a Cup along the way (spoiler alert...he did :) ), then that would be gravy.

But not only did those guys contribute heavily to the Lightning's success, but it allowed a few of the younger TB players to not have to face as much heat as they developed further.

Anthony Cirelli, Mikhail Sergachev, and Erik Cernak benefitted the most, I think from having those extra veterans around as they didn't have to over extend themselves, or try to be super heroes (though at points they all played very well themselves), because the work they put in was being supplemented by those other vet players.

Coleman, Goodrow, and Bogosian went from floundering or downward trending franchises to the pinnacle.
I believe in the case of Goodrow, he finally achieved what he came only close to doing before with San Jose.

Luke Schenn bouncing around from team to team because huge holes in his game prevented anyone from keeping him long term.
He got to Arizona and finally seemed to get some consistency to his game......someone on the Lightning must have noticed because they were willing to give him a shot....and he even had to toil a bit in the Bolts AHL squad during the season while he waited patiently to be part of the big club.

And of course Maroon with the back to back Cup rings.

Just thought I'd put those names out there as being just as important as the likes of a Hedman, Point, and Vasilevskiy to the winning of this Stanley Cup for the Lightning.

14 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

Considering what every team in this years post season had to go through, boy was this beyond deserved...

We as fans might have soured a little bit given the format, and the auora, and i'll admit, i stopped paying attention at one point, but this was some amazing playoff hockey,

I too was in favor of a complete shutdown.
Obviously, I am happy about the Cup win, but I did watch other series along the way, and you are right, there was some real good and entertaining hockey played throughout.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Feels good to have a hometown champion once again.....

Congratulations. A hard fought battle.

A first round exit last year to the Cup. I'm sure you would say it was well worth it.

Like the 2010 Bruins to win it all in 2011. Setting the best example of taking adversity and heartbreak and turning it into a tool for excellence.

And there are many more examples that are too numerous to mention.

I hope my beloved Flyers can somehow learn by the examples set forth this year. As of now they have a long way to catch up.

Enjoy it. Now all i have to look forward to is the draft and free agency. Bring on the 2020-21 season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Congratulations. A hard fought battle.

A first round exit last year to the Cup. I'm sure you would say it was well worth it.

Like the 2010 Bruins to win it all in 2011. Setting the best example of taking adversity and heartbreak and turning it into a tool for excellence.

And there are many more examples that are too numerous to mention.

I hope my beloved Flyers can somehow learn by the examples set forth this year. As of now they have a long way to catch up.

Enjoy it. Now all i have to look forward to is the draft and free agency. Bring on the 2020-21 season.

Guess that old adage of you have to lose big before you can win big applies big time here.

• Like 2

There's not much more we can say, TB was way better, cup is totally deserved. They were fresher, quicker, more efficient, won most battles, more depth, etc. I'm not really disappointed, the outcome was quite obvious and I first expected to be kicked out by the Flames. So reaching the final was a great achievement, a nice little Cinderella story when you look at tall the challenges the team faced throughout the season.

Looking at the series itself, special teams and depth were real game changers. Missing 3 key pieces in the PK directly translated on an insane PP efficiency by Tampa. I found both goalies played a little below their standards and unfortunately Stars' first line vanished again during this series. And even if Tampa was significantly better, at the end little details made the difference,

To summarize this, so close, but so far away.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I too was in favor of a complete shutdown.
Obviously, I am happy about the Cup win, but I did watch other series along the way, and you are right, there was some real good and entertaining hockey played throughout.

Me too initially, but, I am so happy that was not happened. Because , despite of all difficulties of 2020 year, we (fans) received a great chance to enjoy a real entertaining, amazing hockey performance during the full 2 months. 

16 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Guess that old adage of you have to lose big before you can win big applies big time here.

I think this is wrong. I maybe alone but i said this before it ever started before we knew who would even win it that this maybe harder to win than a normal playoff run.

Being away from you family this long and NOT having home ice advantage because the Bolts would of had it throughout the playoffs is so different but i can't out right say this wasn't hard. No one can i can't imagine not sleeping in my bed for over two months. But everyone has an opinion i guess.

• Like 2

Agree. You are not alone. It was a very difficult run, including all restrictions; absence of support from fans and even families at own arenas, as well as food restrictions when you are not able to eat the preferable food at your home; and bars and restaurants also were partially opened there.

27 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Agree. You are not alone. It was a very difficult run, including all restrictions; absence of support from fans and even families at own arenas, as well as food restrictions when you are not able to eat the preferable food at your home; and bars and restaurants also were partially opened there.

Yes they basically almost had cabin fever for two months...i honestly think that is what made my team crack under the pressure of it all.

Edited by OccamsRazor

26 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes they basically almost had cabin fever for two months...i honestly think that is what made my team crack under the pressure of it all.

I agree. Kind of an army pressure with all restrictions for 2 months. I am impressed. Probably, that was a hardest cup in NHL history. Even Olympics and any World Championships are not as long as that competition was performed.

I would like to tell a huge THANK YOU to the all NHL staff who was able to organize that fantastic sport event, which millions and millions of people were able to watch around the world. As well as  THANK YOU to the all 24 teams, who had a chance to participate in that  great the most difficult show of 2020.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...