Minnesota Wild re-signs Carson Soucy

CreaseAndAssist

Minnesota Wild re-signs Carson Soucy to 3-year, $8.25 million deal

I share some thoughts on the deal and what it means for this team moving forward.  I think it pushes Dumba one more step to being traded, the question is traded for what.  Yet I think there might be other consequences to this deal too.  Enjoy and discuss.  

I personally don't mind the deal but I don't think it's actually been made official, just heavily suspected that these are the terms unless I missed something. Anyways assuming these terms will be made official I do think it's slightly higher than most were hoping/expecting. I think most people wanted a max of 2.5 AAV but at the same time I think people also assumed he'd get around 3 Mil AAV in FA. I do agree though that while a Dumba Trade was fairly certain before it for sure is now and let's just hope we can actually get fair value for him.

Soucy's playing against Vancouver was a disappointment. I feel giving him this much is a bit risky. Hope they know what they are doing. I did like his game during the season before Covid break, though. Hopefully he gets that back. On the other hand we desperately need some size, if we are going to succceed in tougher games.

It's tough to say about this one. Hope for the best, and he can be moved if need be.

Solid, safe signing.
Like the Brodin signing....but on a lesser scale.

He may not drive offense all that much, but he is pretty decent defensively, won't cough the puck up with regularity, and should just continue to play a steady brand of defense while chipping in with an assist here and there.

Not bad at all in an upcoming year where things seem to project the Wild will take their lumps.

4 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

IMO, too much money for a 3rd pairing defenseman.  Especially for a team that is already spending too much on its blueline.  

Especially for a team who's been a non-factor in scoring for the past decade, at least. But since they're already paying handsomely to guys who can't score so...

Guerin is playing it safe - paying to guys who've recently proved they can and want to play.