Matt Niskanen to retire

AJgoal

9 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Wow. Didn't see that coming.

So how does that work with his remaining cap hit.

Oh damn I didn't finish reading the whole thing till I posted like a dumbass.

OMFG please no more Braun dear lord...

Edited by OccamsRazor
#nomorebraun
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, yave1964 said:

So does that mean Ghost is staying put? Rumored according to Jimmy Hayes that he and Jake are Calgary bound for Gaudreau.

Are you kidding?

For Jake and Ghost i would love that I hope that doesn't screw it up.

Jimmy Hayes Kevin's brother?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Are you kidding?

For Jake and Ghost i would love that I hope that doesn't screw it up.

Jimmy Hayes Kevin's brother?

Yup Hayes does a podcast with Scorrie Upshall and  Shane O'Brien do a podcast on Apple called missin' curfew which is a bit like Spittin chicklets with Biznasty and Ryan Whitney, anyway, Hayes and Upshall are categorical that Gaudreau is getting moved to the Flyers for Ghost and Jake (with the Flyers throwing in a sweetener of a prospect, unnamed because of the salary disparity). Upshall said he heard it is done, Hayes (who is Kevin's older retired brother) says it is close and may be announced at or right after the draft. It is elsewhere now all over the net.

https://thebrandedsports.com/2020/10/02/voracek-for-gaudreau

What would people think about signing Zach Bogosian from Tampa?

He's a UFA, right hand shot, probably due for a small raise.  

He's not fun to play against, and played a lot of important minutes for them in the tournament.

I really was hoping to move on from Braun unless he's the #7 ...and really cheap. I do not feel like either of those two scenarios are likely though.

I don't want Braun playing big minutes for the Flyers next season.  

Seeing some things on twitter about the Flyers "opening a Pietrangelo sized hole in the cap" but I really think that will not come to pass. 

That would be amazeballs...but why would AP come to Philly? 

Is there any sort of connection ? Or just the Flyers have a lot of money and he would like to make a lot of money...

9 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Yup Hayes does a podcast with Scorrie Upshall and  Shane O'Brien do a podcast on Apple called missin' curfew which is a bit like Spittin chicklets with Biznasty and Ryan Whitney, anyway, Hayes and Upshall are categorical that Gaudreau is getting moved to the Flyers for Ghost and Jake (with the Flyers throwing in a sweetener of a prospect, unnamed because of the salary disparity). Upshall said he heard it is done, Hayes (who is Kevin's older retired brother) says it is close and may be announced at or right after the draft. It is elsewhere now all over the net.

https://thebrandedsports.com/2020/10/02/voracek-for-gaudreau

Depending on who the other forward was going that way?

Maybe a Vorobyev or Rubtsov i would say yes too.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Gaudreau is getting moved to the Flyers for Ghost and Jake (with the Flyers throwing in a sweetener of a prospect, unnamed because of the salary disparity).

Not a fan of this, too much going to Calgary .

Jake and Ghost should be plenty. Maybe an 3rd? but definitely don't think Johnny Hockey is worth 3 players.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

@OccamsRazor

That's not the worst deal ever, it's not 5 x 5 for Andrew MacDonald. 

It leaves room to sign Myers to a longer term big boy contract, if that's the direction.

It leaves room to maybe trade a guy for a guy or sign a guy who wasn't on the radar 3 hours ago.

I definitely see not wanting to lose half of the PP defense in one day, keeping a little continuity. Braun was bad in the tournament but pretty adequate overall last season. I think he was a + player.

It is not my ideal play but it is also *not horrible.

If Bogosian was a thought, he's not out of the picture. I kind of hope this doesn't bring Shattenkirk into the picture. He's up there with Dan Hamhuis for me on the all overrated team middle pairing.

I think the offseason got a lot more interesting in the last 3 hours for certain.

• Like 2

Greetings:

In the best of all possible worlds, I might not keep Braun.  But under these circumstances, I am not too angry over term and dollars. He might be a good dangle figure for a rental.  Big picture, we have one less slot filled by a vet that could go to a youngin.  

• Like 1

So now maybe we keep Ghost, or do we trade Ghost and go after Pietrangelo ? With Nikanen gone and if Ghost Is traded that’s like 9 million. Edmonton lost their top dman Kleifblom for the year they have the 14th pick, maybe they will take Ghost plus Raffl for the pick. 

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Not a fan of this, too much going to Calgary .

Jake and Ghost should be plenty. Maybe an 3rd? but definitely don't think Johnny Hockey is worth 3 players.

I don’t want another tiny 165 lb player on this team. We need a big skating power winger . I would rather keep Jake and Ghost than make this trade.

5 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

or do we trade Ghost and go after Pietrangelo ?

I think you have to at least call his agent and see what's up, right?

If it's money that's motivating him the Flyers have a lot of it. PA taxes aren't LV taxes so he'd get to keep more in Vegas, I don't know what would bring him East TBH, but I absolutely think Fletcher has to kick the tires there. 

1 minute ago, RonJeremy said:

I don’t want another tiny 165 lb player on this team. We need a big skating power winger . I would rather keep Jake and Ghost than make this trade.

The other part of this trade that gets ignored is the fact that it leaves Calgary with $10 million to sign four forwards, two defensemen, and a goalie. In order to balance it out, the rumor has been that Lucic would be attached as a cap dump. Ha has three more years at 5.25 million remaining.

• Uggh... 1

14 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

The other part of this trade that gets ignored is the fact that it leaves Calgary with $10 million to sign four forwards, two defensemen, and a goalie. In order to balance it out, the rumor has been that Lucic would be attached as a cap dump. Ha has three more years at 5.25 million remaining.

That’s a horrible trade for Philly. I would rather go after Laine.

55 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

He is only signed for 2 more years nothing to lose and worst case he turns into a rental in year two.

Maybe he rekindles the Hobey Baker magic him and Hayes had...I mean think if he can even increase Hayes production too.

Besides Jake is on a downward spiral and is older by almost 5 years and will be on the books for 4 more till he is 36.

Hell no I roll this dice all day long.

Wow...Niskanen suddenly retiring really does leave a big hole in skill, leadership, and experience on that blue line.

The newly re-signed Braun and Gostisbehere are now the only regulars on the blue line over age 25.
Niskanen's non return suddenly leaves the blue line very young.

Flyer fans better hope others take big strides and grow a bit faster than they were expecting, or that Philadelphia uses the extra room to sign a decent defenseman with experience and NHL staying power.

I mean, if guys like Provorov, Sanheim, Myers...even Hagg and the aforementioned Gostisbehere up their games, then it won't be such a big deal........ but if they don't, then people will point to the Flyers "not having enough experience" on the blue line if they start giving up ridiculous amounts of goals and/or chances on a regular basis.