Matt Niskanen to retire

AJgoal

54 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

The other part of this trade that gets ignored is the fact that it leaves Calgary with $10 million to sign four forwards, two defensemen, and a goalie. In order to balance it out, the rumor has been that Lucic would be attached as a cap dump. Ha has three more years at 5.25 million remaining.

What?

I haven't seen anything about Lucic being in any trade for Johnny Hockey.

Just watch, with Niskanen now retired, watch who they end up drafting. Dollars to donuts that they end up drafting Justin Barron now because well "right hand defenseman and size" ******** or something like that. I was willing to give Fletcher the benefit of the doubt, but with the re-signing of Hoggstink and Braun, clearly hasn't learned from his time in Minnesota that you can't fill your bottom spots with trash and expect that the trash is going to have a positive impact.

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

What would people think about signing Zach Bogosian from Tampa?

He's a UFA, right hand shot, probably due for a small raise.  

He's not fun to play against, and played a lot of important minutes for them in the tournament.

I really was hoping to move on from Braun unless he's the #7 ...and really cheap. I do not feel like either of those two scenarios are likely though.

I don't want Braun playing big minutes for the Flyers next season.  

Bogosian just can't stay healthy. If he could, he'd be alright in that bottom pairing role. Fact is the Flyers are going to need a right handed defenseman. Preferably, I'd hope that they'd elevate Myers to the right side of Provorov and then sign a guy like Shattenkirk to play on the right side of Sanheim. I get that Shattenkirk isn't a defensive stalwart, but I'm willing to bet he could teach Sanheim a thing or two about the offensive game.

Well if Niskanen was going to show up this season and play like he did in the playoffs....good riddance. Of course we could say that about a lot of players.

As for "Johnny Hockey" (what a dumb nickname for)...the 58th leading scorer last season can bring his whopping THREE playoff points in the last 5 seasons and fit right in with most of this crew. 

I'm all for getting out of one or two of JVR and Voraceks contracts. But Gaudreau to me just looks like a lateral move.

#%&!ing Braun! Whats next...re-up Nate Thompson?

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm all for getting out of one or two of JVR and Voraceks contracts. But Gaudreau to me just looks like a lateral move

Just saw the thread and you beat me to the punch....I agree with you totally...

52 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

He is only signed for 2 more years nothing to lose and worst case he turns into a rental in year two.

Maybe he rekindles the Hobey Baker magic him and Hayes had...I mean think if he can even increase Hayes production too.

Besides Jake is on a downward spiral and is older by almost 5 years and will be on the books for 4 more till he is 36.

Hell no I roll this dice all day long.

Maybe Jake straight up for Johnny , but not Ghost and another player.

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Like who??

Just putting this out there, but from the Capitals, Radko Gudas woudl be available once again, as well as Brendan Dillon.

Dillon is a good sized (6'4 225), good hitting large defenseman who also doesn't turn the puck over that much.
He made about 3.5M for the Caps last season. Might be worth a look. He is just 29.

Pleeeease get a 5th round pick for Braun, or expose him to the Seattle expansion draft, if possible. Why the hell, Nisky retiring or not, would they re-sign that bum, Braun?? Niskanen may not be what he was with the Penguins, but he's still pretty darned good defensively. That will hurt. Is there any truth that we're in the Pietrangelo "sweepstakes"? I hope so.

Edited by FD19372

3 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Maybe Jake straight up for Johnny , but not Ghost and another player.

I agree, if that "another player" is on the Flyers roster..but if we can trade Ghost with a pick or a Phantom player, I pull the trigger for Johnny Hockey.

• Like 1

Thank you Nisky for your time in Philly.

Enjoy your retirement. Thanks for also buying yourself out of the contract to give us more options for the season.

Maybe Braun retires next at start of training camp.

Ya Fletch pulled the trigger too soon.

"You gotta move like Brind'Amour, Fletch"... "dangle a little before pulling the trigger."

18 hours ago, radoran said:

If I had ~$20M...

Yikes.

The things that i would do for 20 mill...hell or 6 mill...you probably don't need to know what those would be so i won't burden you with those images in your head...all i can say it must be nice.

:CelebratingSmiley2:

• Like 1

The timing of this is interesting.  Does this give the Flyers 6mil in cap space. If so, it isnt a surprise and Nisky did it to help the team. That tells me something is already un the works. I bet he ends up part of the organization, most likely a coach

The braun signing is nothing. Just another name to add to the expansion draft.

Smoke and mirrors

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

I bet he ends up part of the organization, most likely a coach

According to his agent, he wants to go back to the backwoods of Minnesota and do all the things he loves doing.

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/uncertainty-surrounding-covid-19-led-to-matt-niskanens-retirement

“He just said, ‘You know what? We’re going back home to northern Minnesota and I don’t need to do this anymore,’ ” Sheehy said. “I was surprised, but I said to Nisky, ‘You’ve earned the right to do whatever you want to do,’ and I never tried to talk him out of it. He has earned the right to do whatever he wants.”

he’s going to hunt and fish and do all the things he loved doing as a kid that he hasn’t had a chance to do since he started playing pro hockey.”