Flyer's 2020 NHL draft

OccamsRazor

8 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

I admittedly don't know anything about most of these prospects, but I would love for once for the Flyers not to draft someone with a scouting report that contains the phrase, "if he can improve his skating."

Sorry.

• Haha 1

I'm not against the pick because all I am going on is the scouting reports I read after we picked him.  But some of the same posters complaining that MTL and NYI were so much faster than us are the same posters making excuses for this pick.  The idea that you can fix skating and have it go from being a weakness to the player being a burner seems like magical thinking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

The idea that you can fix skating and have it go from being a weakness to the player being a burner seems like magical thinking.

I don't know about magical. I think it is possible, although it sounds from Woodlief's comment that he has a particularly bad stride to try and fix. I fixed my golf swing (mostly), and it was real bad, so all things are possible. I  follow Jsaquella on Twitter and he retweeted this trainer who has been training Tyson during the summer:

https://twitter.com/Paul__Matheson/status/1303487030765260800?s=20

2 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

I'm not against the pick because all I am going on is the scouting reports I read after we picked him.  But some of the same posters complaining that MTL and NYI were so much faster than us are the same posters making excuses for this pick.  The idea that you can fix skating and have it go from being a weakness to the player being a burner seems like magical thinking.

While you're right that Montreal and the Isles skated us out of the rink the other think we lacked was scoring. Picking at 23 you're not going to get a player that's the entire package. Foerster is the kind of player that gets you "easy" goals...meaning his rocket of a shot doesn't take a whole lot of grinding and doesn't result in garbage goals, at least not by him.

We needed a scorer. With him, Brink and Allison hopefully we have at least one. I'm not sure he was BPA when we picked but he was certainly close.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

Tim Kerr and Mark Stone had issues as well.

The Flyers needed goal scorers and they got one.

Hell if he didn't have the skating issues he wouldn't have been there at 23 he would have been in the top 10 that is how lethal his shot was. I'll take it.

Check back in 2022-23 to complain. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So once he gets a callup, he can post up in the slot just stand there, not even move and one the Flyers plethora of passers will set him up (I'm sure after passing it around the group a time or two) and then he can just put it in the net.

Championship!

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

I don't know about magical. I think it is possible, although it sounds from Woodlief's comment that he has a particularly bad stride to try and fix. I fixed my golf swing (mostly), and it was real bad, so all things are possible. I  follow Jsaquella on Twitter and he retweeted this trainer who has been training Tyson during the summer:

https://twitter.com/Paul__Matheson/status/1303487030765260800?s=20

you golf?

Now, I can like you again 

45 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

While you're right that Montreal and the Isles skated us out of the rink the other think we lacked was scoring. Picking at 23 you're not going to get a player that's the entire package. Foerster is the kind of player that gets you "easy" goals...meaning his rocket of a shot doesn't take a whole lot of grinding and doesn't result in garbage goals, at least not by him.

We needed a scorer. With him, Brink and Allison hopefully we have at least one. I'm not sure he was BPA when we picked but he was certainly close.

Yeah, that's well stated. At the risk of overstating the case, look at a guy like Laine. Not a great skater really, especially on the acceleration. His top gear is ok once he gets chugging. I'm still confident that skating can be improved even for what looks to be a genuinely horrible stride. The other thing is that guys who can't skate become elite at other aspects of their game. Coots is a good example of that. Based on the Red Line scouting report, Tyson has elite vision and playmaking as well as a work ethic. Those are things that cannot be taught.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I still think Laine is coming to Philly

Gawd I hope not. I've heard from a credible source that Wpg was offered Necas, Pesce and Carolina's first round pick (13th) for Laine and they turned it down.

Just now, Podein25 said:

Gawd I hope not. I've heard from a credible source that Wpg was offered Necas, Pesce and Carolina's first round pick (13th) for Laine and they turned it down.

Got some fresh heat maps for you....cause i now love em...can use em as wall paper for the bathroom...

45361_tyson-foerster2020.png

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Oh, come on, you never stopped liking me. You love me in the way you love escalators and old ladies.

You disagreed with me once, and were right

I put your name in my book 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gretzky and Tavares also not great skaters, but always in the right place with the game on the line. You can be a great skater but you need a hockey brain to  go with it. being a great skater but falling down all the time also not good. This player is heavy on his feet, which is a good thing when you're trolling the scoring area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

I wouldn't want to give up the Flyers equivalent to that.

I'm wondering if Chuck is going to fill that "role" using money and not players.

He might need players to fill the Niskanen hole, which...I don't know, is it? would Myers be ready to move to the top pair? would it be wise to split 5 and 6 ? 

How close is Zamula? how close is York?... 

Regardless so long as 61 and 8 aren't a pairing maybe the defense isn't a "problem"?

6 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Flyers take Swedish Dman Emil Andrae at 54. He's smallish yet, but was Captain of the Sweden's U18 squad at Hlinka last year:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/394716/emil-andrae

Christ....don't we have enough undersized dmen? I guess he fell a bit, sounds like he's pretty skilled.