Flyer's 2020 NHL draft

OccamsRazor

24 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Christ....don't we have enough undersized dmen? I guess he fell a bit, sounds like he's pretty skilled.

I'd say he fell, yeah. That's the new kind of Damn isn't it? 

11 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Ok so he comes Appleyard approved so I'm good with it. He had him as 3rd best dman in the draft.

One of the knocks on him is that he's already fully baked. Is that good enough to play in the NHL?

21 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

One of the knocks on him is that he's already fully baked. Is that good enough to play in the NHL?

Not sure, but at least he isn't from Minnesota. And his first and last name doesn't start with the same letter. That brings us to Fletchers #3 reason for drafting...ability to play hockey. So we have that at least.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

I'm not against the pick because all I am going on is the scouting reports I read after we picked him.  But some of the same posters complaining that MTL and NYI were so much faster than us are the same posters making excuses for this pick.  The idea that you can fix skating and have it go from being a weakness to the player being a burner seems like magical thinking.

The Isles did out skate us , but they also dominated the boards and won all the physical battles too. So we are building a  balanced pool of prospects , some with size and  scoring ability, Radcliffe, Allison, Foerester are all shooters, which we need. We also have a group of smaller good skating players like , Frost, Brink and Farabee. I know we don’t have any guys with blazing speed and Barzal type of danglers. Maybe O’Brian can turn into something, he is supposed to have good speed and a high skill level. 

3 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Beginning to like this kid more and more.

How could you not?

Used to just watch Wright when we played Kingston but it was hard not to notice this guy stealing his limelight. Heck I even like the guy doing the vid...other than the sweater he's wearing.

Wisdom also just won the EJ McGuire

https://chl.ca/article/zayde-wisdom-named-recipient-of-2020-e-j-mcguire-award-of-excellence

Zayde Wisdom, the 54th-ranked North American skater for the 2020 NHL Draft, has been presented with the E.J. McGuire Award of Excellence, the National Hockey League announced.

First handed out in 2015, the E.J. McGuire Award of Excellence is presented annually by the NHL to a candidate who best exemplifies commitment to excellence through strength of character, competitiveness, and athleticism.

In the 2019-20 season, the Toronto native ranked second on the Kingston Frontenacs in goals (29), assists (30) and points (59) in 62 games, marking a huge leap in production over his rookie campaign with a 26-goal and 49-point improvement.

“Zayde Wisdom displays all the qualities that the E.J. McGuire Award represents and truly merits this recognition,” said Dan Marr, Director of NHL Central Scouting. “His commitment and drive to succeed throughout his journey as an aspiring prospect exemplifies all that is good in our game, from the grassroots level and hockey community to the professional mentorship he’s receiving today, all which serve to highlight Zayde as an inspiration for future players.”

Marr, alongside NHL veteran Wayne Simmonds (Soo Greyhounds), presented Wisdom with an engraved NHL crystal.

The 2020 NHL Draft will be held virtually over two days. The first round will take place at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, Oct. 6 and the subsequent rounds (2 through 7) will begin at 11:30 a.m. ET on Wednesday, Oct. 7.

For more information on Wisdom click here.

Award History

After many years of coaching and scouting at various levels of hockey, McGuire joined the NHL’s Central Scouting Bureau in 2002 and assumed day-to-day responsibility for the department in 2005. McGuire spearheaded an operation that provided scouting and evaluation of draft-eligible players to NHL Member Clubs. He led a team of eight full-time and 15 part-time scouts throughout North America. Just as he brought innovation to the coaching profession throughout his career, McGuire was responsible for several advancements in the area of scouting during his nine years at the NHL, including the development of a new scouting technology system that brought the “art” of scouting to a whole new level. He was instrumental in raising both the effectiveness and profile of the NHL’s annual scouting combine. McGuire lost his short but courageous battle with cancer in April 2011.

Past Recipients

2019: Brett Leason (Prince Albert Raiders)
2018: 2017-18 Humboldt Broncos
2017: Nico Hischier (Halifax Mooseheads)
2016: Neil Doef
2015: Travis Konecny (Ottawa 67’s)

And here's TSNs story about him

https://www.tsn.ca/video/tsn-original-nothing-given~2049357

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 11:07 AM, Podein25 said:

Gawd I hope not. I've heard from a credible source that Wpg was offered Necas, Pesce and Carolina's first round pick (13th) for Laine and they turned it down.

Winnipeg should have taken that and ran. 

• Like 1

My biggest concern with this past draft it's like they have Montreal draft plan of collecting all smurfs...

with the exception of Foerster who is 6-2 the rest are all on the small side of the spectrum.

Andrea 5-9 180

Wisdom 5-11 195

Desnoyers 5-11 175

McClennon 5-8 165

Paying they all have growth spurts i guess...

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

My biggest concern with this past draft it's like they have Montreal draft plan of collecting all smurfs...

with the exception of Foerster who is 6-2 the rest are all on the small side of the spectrum.

Andrea 5-9 180

Wisdom 5-11 195

Desnoyers 5-11 175

McClennon 5-8 165

5'9" 180 is not small. That's a fireplug- low center of gravity, I'll be that kid is strong as hell on his skates.

Same with Wisdom and McClennon, scouting reports say they are "sturdy".   Not every player is Brad Marchand strong, but there are plenty of smallish dudes with a lot of strength. 

Toughest guy I ever knew was 5'10" 195, college wrestler. I watched him wreck D-1 linebackers and line men in street fights regularly. 

slow fuse on that guy but once it was lit people were going to the hospital.

He wrestled 168 in high school, would dangle his leg in front of his opponent guys would of course shoot on him, he'd have them counting gym lights before they knew what happened. 

On it's face i understand what you're saying, if these dudes are mesomorphs it might not make that much of a difference.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

5'9" 180 is not small. That's a fireplug- low center of gravity, I'll be that kid is strong as hell on his skates.

Same with Wisdom and McClennon, scouting reports say they are "sturdy".   Not every player is Brad Marchand strong, but there are plenty of smallish dudes with a lot of strength. 

Toughest guy I ever knew was 5'10" 195, college wrestler. I watched him wreck D-1 linebackers and line men in street fights regularly. 

slow fuse on that guy but once it was lit people were going to the hospital.

He wrestled 168 in high school, would dangle his leg in front of his opponent guys would of course shoot on him, he'd have them counting gym lights before they knew what happened. 

On it's face i understand what you're saying, if these dudes are mesomorphs it might not make that much of a difference.

Yeah let's hope i am concerned for no reason...

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Andrea 5-9 180

Wisdom 5-11 195

Desnoyers 5-11 175

McClennon 5-8 165

Wisdom is more like 205...the guy is built like a fire hydrant and will go through anyone to get the puck. He's about as anti-smurf as you can get.

The McClennon pick is what you should be doing in late rounds...boom or bust. Tiny, but highly skilled.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Wisdom is more like 205...the guy is built like a fire hydrant and will go through anyone to get the puck. He's about as anti-smurf as you can get.

The McClennon pick is what you should be doing in late rounds...boom or bust. Tiny, but highly skilled.

Yeah we'll see in 3 years.

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah we'll see in 3 years.

Exactly. These are kids who just turned 18. They still have another year or two left of growing and will probably grow another 2 to 3 inches before all is said and done. I'm not worried at all. Don't forget that guys like Kimmo Timmons didn't crack 6 feet and he was one of the best defensemen to ever play the game. I get that ARGH SIIIIIIIIZE is important, but it's not the be all/end all. As well, there's size coming through the pipeline in Alison and Ratcliffe. And Patrick is also taking part in scrimmages, so he could be on the way back and Coots and Hayes are also fairly big guys. And don't forget that you can have size, but if you don't use it, well, then you basically end up with someone like Van Dogshit. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 3:50 PM, flyercanuck said:

He's about as anti-smurf as you can get.

Imagine if the Flyers had taken Debrincat and Girard instead of Rubtsov and Laberge...they have played 459 NHL games while the Flyer duds have a combined 4 NHL games...would've could've should've...

💩