Buh bye to Abdelkader

yave1964

Justin Abdelkader was bought out today. Goodbye and good riddance.

He was a career underacheiver who for a couple of years out of desperation was moved to the Datsyuk line and scored 23 and then 19 goals. In one of Holland's most boneheaded blunders, he signed Abby to a seven year, repeat SEVEN YEAR 29.5 million dollar deal. The remaining thee years of the deal will be prorated and split up for th next six seasons, the cap hit that will keep on giving.

A Western Michigan boy, look, it is not as if i ddint like him, as a 4th liner he was solid, he could in a pinch play third line minutes and paired with a superstar elite setup man he could accidently stumple into 20 or so goals but c'mon man, SEVEN YEARS!!!?????!! SEVEN FREAKIN YEARS!!!???????

He aged poorly, was never fast, his speed in recent years could be timed with a sun dial, he lost his shot, he played 49 games last year without a single goal and was minus 14. In the last four years combined since signing that odious deal he has scored 26 goals and is minus 59. Hel i could have probably done close to that bad for a lot less money, lol.

So Abby, i dont blame you, i woulda taken the money too, who wouldnt? I wish you well in all future endeavors but man am i glad to see the door hit you where the good lord split you. Buh bye.

• Good Post 1

Yea, that salary of his will definitely haunt the Red Wings for the foreseeable future, but I agree it was a move that needed to be made if the Wings are to be transformed into a high level, high skill, competitive team.

On the flip side, if Abdelkader is not "done" in hockey, and be willing to play for a sub 1M AAV contract (considering the Wings will still be paying him, not out of the question for him to accept a relatively low contract offer), he'd probably make a very fine 4th liner for a deep team.

His skillset may have mostly deteriorated, but he still has a bit of snarl and bite to him, and if not asked to play anymore than 8-10 minutes per night, could bring something to a team filled with young players still trying to find their way or a team that could use a battle tested old warhorse on their 4th. 

• Like 1

In the last few months since the season ended, Yzerman has either bought out or told they wont be offered a new deal to:

Abdelkader

Ericsson

Daley

Howard

Plus last year at the deadline we moved out the ghost of Mike Green. Dead weight all,-, time to move on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

In the last few months since the season ended, Yzerman has either bought out or told they wont be offered a new deal to:

Abdelkader

Ericsson

Daley

Howard

Plus last year at the deadline we moved out the ghost of Mike Green. Dead weight all,-, time to move on.

Ah come on Yave, show some love - at least Jimmy was worth every penny on many seasons. An icon some would say.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2020 at 1:28 PM, Brewin Flames said:

Just my opinion, but Stevie Y built a solid team in tampa and in 3-5 seasons, the wings will be a playoff team....

Like Yave said...getting rid of dead weight and bad contracts, gonna reshape the wings.

5-6 seasons and we'll be competitive again...doubtful about being playoff bound though.