Wild and Preds trade on 2nd draft day

Lonkkis

20 minutes ago, Lonkkis said:

Wild gets Nick Bonino, 2020 2nd round and 3rd round picks.

Nashville gets Luke Kunin and 2020 4th round pick.

Thanks, Lonkkis.  You answered my post in another thread quite well.  I was trying to figure out how we acquired an additional 2nd rounder, then found the trade for Kunin/Bonino - devoid of the picks exchanged.  Not sure how I feel about the trade, as Bonino is old and another salary dump acquisition.  The rebuild is certainly in process, however.

3 minutes ago, Lonkkis said:

Bonino only has a year left as far as I know so it's not bad.

Correct according to CapWise.  Between him, Johnsson, and Bjugstad, they could all be one-and-done with the Wild after this year.  So, it is pretty clear that BG is cleaning out the players he doesn't want to keep for draft picks, and taking on some potential reclamation projects (or placeholders) at C for this year.  He had better be sure about the draft picks they are making, but I like the idea of a 'tear down' quite a bit - this team was going NOWHERE as it was.   We just need to unload Zucc, Suter, and Parise, whom will be shell-shocked by all the new faces and lack of familiarity with all the new bodies in the locker room - not a bad thing,.

I think the moves made in the last two weeks confirmed this team was re-shaping itself big time.  And I don't think its over just yet.  Smart move to get a guy who has just 1-year left on his deal to get three decent picks.  Wild made two great selections in the 2nd round.  

• Like 2

One other aspect that someone at the Athletic comment section brought up: Guerin could've just acquired Bonino, Johansson and Bjugstad so he could flip them for assets the next deadline. It's an interesting thought for sure.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, bbgarnett said:

also probably thought Kunin would be picked by Seattle in the ED so why not trade him now and get something for him and not get backed into a corner like we did with Vegas.

I think that there is a TON of truth to this point.  Anyone that is not looking ahead to the expansion draft, will get burned (kind of like the Wild did with Tuch).  It is better to have untouchable new draftees that aren't eligible, than a player like Kunin (whom likely would be, and then lost).  Had we not had so many NMCs tied to old dead wood, we might have been able to take a different track.  But, as it is - there was no choice.  I would still like to see those holding the NMCs and providing little near/long term value moved.  Looking right at you Parise, Suter, Zucc.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Lonkkis said:

One other aspect that someone at the Athletic comment section brought up: Guerin could've just acquired Bonino, Johansson and Bjugstad so he could flip them for assets the next deadline. It's an interesting thought for sure.

Unless every one of them plays much better than in recent years I don't know what kind of assets they could acquire with their current CVs... probably not much. So Guerin took a safe gamble.

2 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

Unless every one of them plays much better than in recent years I don't know what kind of assets they could acquire with their current CVs... probably not much. So Guerin took a safe gamble.

Depth players for the teams chasing the Cup. Bonino has Cup experience, and if Johansson and Bjugstad play well enough, someone might be interested in acquiring them.

1 minute ago, Lonkkis said:

Depth players for the teams chasing the Cup. Bonino has Cup experience, and if Johansson and Bjugstad play well enough, someone might be interested in acquiring them.

But we also will probably have less players this team feels obligated to protect.  We don't have to protect #97.  I think this is real smart on the Wild's part.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

But we also will probably have less players this team feels obligated to protect.  We don't have to protect #97.  I think this is real smart on the Wild's part.  

Indeed, also sends a message to the other GMs: "If you want Dumba, it's gonna cost you. A lot."

Since Wild can easily protect Dumba if they want to.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lonkkis said:

Maybe Bonino but as things stand, Bjugstad and Johansson aren't viewed as rentals who can give a boost to a team. Their previous teams dumped them and Guerin decided to roll a dice.

8 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

Maybe Bonino but as things stand, Bjugstad and Johansson aren't viewed as rentals who can give a boost to a team. Their previous teams dumped them and Guerin decided to roll a dice.

Most likely, yes. Hope for the best, expect the worst I always say. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Minnesota Wild trade Kunin for Bonino as the team stockpilles talent on Day 2 of the NHL Draft

I have full coverage of the players selected in Day 2 of the draft.  Analysis, scout quotes, highlights and more...check it out!  

Thanks for the read! 👍

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 1:40 PM, Lonkkis said:

Indeed, also sends a message to the other GMs: "If you want Dumba, it's gonna cost you. A lot."

Since Wild can easily protect Dumba if they want to.

Maybe other GMs will bait the hook if we will combine him with Greenway or EEK? Probably, no one has an interest to those players, because of their poor production for the team. Interesting, just looked to Greenway stats and elite prospects.com  says he is not signed. How is that could be? In 154 played games in 3 seasons for the Wild team he has 20 goals. A good size player is not using his size to go often to the net and to produce. Sounds strange to see it in NHL, especially from the youngster. Maybe he feels to comfortable in the Wild uniform?

On 10/7/2020 at 1:41 PM, Hockey-78 said:

But now they're all nice potential trading pieces if the team is indeed sub-par by trade deadline time.