Marat Khusnutdinov

EmptyShelf

I am off today, so a bit bored.  Thought I would throw out some additional information on our second round picks since LIG is tied up until later today.  Between Marat and O'Rourke (and somewhat true with Rossi), we have acquired some actual solid skating players.  This was LONG overdue in my opinion, as the league is much faster than the Wild seem to be....

Undersized centre Marat Khusnutdinov has been extremely impressive on the international stage, helping Russian teams to multiple tournament victories. Last summer he captained the Russians to the gold medal at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup, scoring three points in five games. He was also part of the gold medal-winning team at the 2019 World Junior A Hockey Challenge, despite being a double underage player. Khusnutdinov won another gold medal at the 2018 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, scoring five points in six games. He took home a silver medal from the 2019 IIHF Under-18 World Championships, scoring three points in seven games as an underage player.

Khusnutdinov spent the season with SKA St. Petersburg’s MHL team. He scored 13 goals and 25 assists for 38 points in 44 games. The playoffs were cancelled due to COVID-19. In 2017-18, Khusnutdinov played for Vityaz Podolsk. In the regular season, he played with the Under-17 team, scoring eight goals and 18 points in 11 games. He moved up to the Under-18 late in the season, putting up three points in his only regular-season game. He went on to score four goals and 10 points in seven playoff games.

Marat Khusnutdinov Scouting Report

Centre — shoots Left
Born July 17th, 2002 — Moskva, Russia
Height 5’9” — Weight 165 lbs [176 cm/75 kg]

Skating

An explosive skater, this is the core of Khusnutdinov’s game. He has an outstanding first step and really good acceleration. His ability to change speeds puts defenders on the back foot as he is a real threat to get by them on the outside and cut to the net. Khusnutdinov’s excellent speed can also create breakaway opportunities. He is also extremely shifty, with excellent lateral movements thanks to great edgework and agility. This enhances his ability both with and without the puck. Khusnutdinov has a low centre of gravity and a strong lower body. His powerful stride allows him to fight through checks and get to the dirty areas of the ice. It also makes him surprisingly good in battles along the boards. He will still need to get stronger to play against men though.

Offensive Game

Khusnutdinov marries his skating ability with excellent hands. He can make plays while moving at top speed. He has the vision and the skill to set up teammates and create scoring chances off the rush. His ability to control the puck down low and make quick moves to shake defenders and create a passing lane is also valuable. He can slow down the play or speed it up, giving his teammates time to get open for a pass. Khusmutdinov reads the play well, and once there is the smallest opening, he can make the play. He can control the play along the boards on the power play, creating scoring chances.

He also has a strong arsenal of shots. Khusnutdinov can play the role of the sniper as well. He has an excellent wrist shot and a quick, deceptive release. His shot is both powerful and accurate. His snapshot features many of the same traits. Khusnutdinov is also effective with his one-timer. With his soft hands, he can make a move to his backhand and elevate the puck quickly over a sprawling goaltender. Khusnutdinov is not afraid to get physical on the forecheck or to battle for loose pucks in the corners. However, he will need to continue to add muscle to be effective in these areas in the pro game.

Defensive Game

Khusnutdinov brings his solid work ethic to the defensive end of the ice. He effectively supports the defence against the transition game by putting backpressure in the right areas. He also comes down low to support against the cycle game. However, there are times he has issues against bigger and stronger opposition. Khusnutdinov reads the play well and uses his active stick to cut down passing lanes, steal pucks off opponents and create turnovers. Once those turnovers are created, he is quick to transition them into offensive chances.

Projection and Comparison

The biggest question on Khusnutdinov is his lack of size. He has the offensive skills to be a top-six centre. He also has the defensive game to not only avoid being a liability but to actually help his team in his own end. However, how this will translate to smaller ice with bigger opponents remains a question. Khusnutdinov will likely spend another year or two in Russia before coming to North America. He can use that time to continue to add strength and muscle to his frame. Khusnutdinov’s game is reminiscent of Dylan Larkin, but this is a stylistic comparison only and not one based on skill or ability.

• 2 months later...

Our prospect Marat Khusnutdinov shined today by placing an overtime winning goal (4:3) with 6 seconds left in OT against Sweden team at the World 2021 Hockey Junior Championship at Edmonton. That goal ended Sweden streak wins in preliminary games since 2006.

Here is a link to read and to watch highlights video from that game:

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2021/wm20/news/23660/game-17-rus-swe

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Boldy and Khusnutdinov have been sharp 😁

Agree. Out of our 5 prospects both players plus I would like to mention one more prospect - Pavel Novak(1 goal;2 assists;3 points in 4 games there) who is playing for Czech Republic team are showing some nice skills. Czech Republic team is always pretty good in any levels of hockey with a long life history. 

Khusnutdinov looks good, not nearly as flashy as Boldy but a good support player who plays within his game.  I like his hustle, speed and willingness to go into the corners to retrieve pucks.  Lots and lots to like about him.  

As far as Boldy goes, great stickhandler, better puck retriever than I expected and I like his willingness to screen the goaltender.  I am still concerned about his lack of speed and tendency to glide.  

On 1/2/2021 at 9:59 AM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Khusnutdinov looks good, not nearly as flashy as Boldy but a good support player who plays within his game.  I like his hustle, speed and willingness to go into the corners to retrieve pucks.  Lots and lots to like about him.  

As far as Boldy goes, great stickhandler, better puck retriever than I expected and I like his willingness to screen the goaltender.  I am still concerned about his lack of speed and tendency to glide.  

I agree.

What is presenting an interest about this player - Marat Khusnutdinov for me  - his willingness to play in different leagues and tournaments this year (KHL, VHL; MHL; 2021 WJC-20 and international) and played total already 34 games and is having 30 points (7 goals;23 assists) so far.

11 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Well I'm certainly far more bullish on Marat Khusnutdinov than I am Alexander Khovanov.  By the way, anyone noticing that Brennan Menell is having a MONSTER year in the KHL so far?

I still think Khovanov is a valuable prospect for us so far. At VHL he has a point practically every game plus having a nice experience after playing in North America for 3 years, as well as knowing language. Unfortunately, he signed with Ak Bars till 2022-2023 season.

Regarding Menell, I am really proud about his results in KHL. Like I said before, wish him to see in our big club as soon as possible.

Khovanov might as well be a tin of caviar for all I care.  IMO, the attitude thing really bothers me.  I just don't have time for that as a HS player let alone a player that is older than that.  People like that are always so full of excuses, and its never their fault and the whole world is against them.  I have zero time for drama queens like that.