Would We Sign Kyle Turris?

Howie58

Greetings:

I normally wouldn't think about this, but if he were dirt cheap for a year, I might say it would be worth kicking the rubber.  His last year was not good, but as this piece notes, he might not have been too well deployed.

https://www.ontheforecheck.com/2020/9/30/21473717/2019-20-nashville-predators-player-report-cards-season-review-kyle-turris-trade-buyout

I recall he had a great shot.  Do we think our draft picks are ready?  What might happen with Patrick?  Just a thought.

On the surface, I'm OK with it...IF it were very cheap and not signed to more than a one year deal. If they sign Bobby Ryan and him.. as a Sens reunion of sorts, I have a big problem with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

On the surface, I'm OK with it...IF it were very cheap and not signed to more than a one year deal. If they sign Bobby Ryan and him.. as a Sens reunion of sorts, I have a big problem with it.

I would do this for a year maybe if the other option was Thompson, then yes i take Turris for a year.

This i imagine would be the 3rd line option in case Patrick isn't ready.

Otherwise I would like Morgan for that spot.

Edited by OccamsRazor
Stupid phone

I am really beginning to think it's time for Patrick and especially Frost to take the reigns for these roles.

There is a point where if a player is going to be the guy or just a guy needs to be known. I think with Patrick, his injury situation makes making that judgement more difficult. I think Frost should be highly motivated to find his way to the NHL in light of the fact, the GM made deals for 2 players to slide in front of him on the depth chart this past season. If that doesn't light a fire...

I think the team must be willing to let these guys fail some. 

For the record I don't think either will, but IMO it's time to take off the training wheels, take some lumps and play the youth. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I am really beginning to think it's time for Patrick and especially Frost to take the reigns for these roles.

There is a point where if a player is going to be the guy or just a guy needs to be known. I think with Patrick, his injury situation makes making that judgement more difficult. I think Frost should be highly motivated to find his way to the NHL in light of the fact, the GM made deals for 2 players to slide in front of him on the depth chart this past season. If that doesn't light a fire...

I think the team must be willing to let these guys fail some. 

For the record I don't think either will, but IMO it's time to take off the training wheels, take some lumps and play the youth. 

No sense anyway when Mikko Koivu is going to be the 3rd line center...

:D

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

No sense anyway when Mikko Koivu is going to be the 3rd line center...

:D

I know this is  a dig a Fletcher's Minnesota connections...the one that is a little more interesting to me would be a trade for Matt Dumba.

He is definitely a Fletcher pick, a right shot, makes about the same $ as Niskanen did...I'd be more (is worried the right word ?) um less surprised if that was the Fletcher move, instead of signing washed up 60 year old Methuselah Koivu at 3C.

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

think the team must be willing to let these guys fail some. 

Dear Mojo, 

I agree with you.  My question about Turris was more wake-up during a downtime. I would love to see a cohort of youngins grow together. That would build our team.  People speak highly of Frost.  If he is ready...OK.  Patrick's situation is strange and I guess we see what happens in a few days regarding his offer.   We will also see what happens with Pitlick and the others soon enough.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

little more interesting to me would be a trade for Matt Dumba.

Then you can chose to protect him Sanheim, Ivan and Myers for the expansion.

Would depend on the cost to then lose him or Sanheim for example.

It is why for defense I would kick the tires on Alec Martinez for one year at 4 mill.

Vegas is in need of cap space...

• Like 1

@OccamsRazor

That's a decent idea. I thought Martinez looked okay when I watched the Knights. 

Is he a top pairing guy or would you move Myers up and slot Martinez on the second pair with Sanhiem. 

Also, I thought Dumba has only one year left on his deal, could be  I read that wrong, and maybe that's why he's not a good idea other than the money , shot and his age all being a fit. 

59 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Is he a top pairing guy

He would be the guy I have paired with Ivan.

He is a left hand shot but has played alot on the right side.

I would like to Myers and Sanheim together.

If we're looking at 4C, I'd strongly consider Linus Wallmark. Florida didn't qualify him, but he's got consistently good defensive numbers. You could deploy him like Thompson but actually expect him to be effective. 

Wennberg is interesting, as well. Generally good possession metrics, not a big goal scorer, but put up some really good point totals early in his career. 

Koivu's not terrible as a 1 year defensive guy, either, but there's no potential for upside there anymore.

Manson from Anaheim is a guy I'd like to kick the tires on, see if they'd make him available.

49 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

If we're looking at 4C, I'd strongly consider Linus Wallmark.

Yes a good name to throw at the board. A very decent option for the bottom 6. Not sure how many years though.

Hey, as a Wild fan it really isn't my business at all, but Turris? No way. I've seen a lot of him, playing against the Wild. A waste of space. If you have goal shooters, consider Wennberg. You would get him dirt cheap, with a tryout deal, and then trade him by deadline if he continues slumping. Someone would take Wennberg off your hands, for sure, if need be. If Turris fails, no-one wants him. He would need to be bought out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Hey, as a Wild fan it really isn't my business at all, but Turris? No way. I've seen a lot of him, playing against the Wild. A waste of space. If you have goal shooters, consider Wennberg. You would get him dirt cheap, with a tryout deal, and then trade him by deadline if he continues slumping. Someone would take Wennberg off your hands, for sure, if need be. If Turris fails, no-one wants him. He would need to be bought out.

Thank you.

I have to say i haven't seen him lately and appreciate your opinion.

I am hoping they give someone on the roster or some prospects and chance their on the 3rd line first.

Unless a better option presents itself.

20 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I thought Martinez looked okay when I watched the Knights. 

I think he would be a solid partner for Ivan. Provide a nice veteran presence for him to continue to work on his game with.

And now is the time to pounce the Knights just moved Stasny for some prospect and a 4th round pick. And they still don't have any cap space. So striking now while the iron is hot is key.

Because i seriously don't think they have a shot at AP since it hasn't been mentioned anywhere that he wants to go to Philly.

It reminds me back a year or so ago when they might want Panarin and he wanted to go to New York.

Sometimes guys have a preference where they want to play regardless of the money and i really hate for them to miss out on some good pieces in free agency because they are fixated on one guy who doesn't want to come to Philly.

I agree completely giving the team to the young guys and letting them scrape their knees while growing. That can't happen with Giroux and JVR taking up space on the payroll and in the room. If you are gonna give the team to the youth you gotta go all in, IMHO.

• pilldoc pinned, unpinned and locked this topic