Free Agency

CoachX

draft over! FA is here!

What do the flyers do? I think Grant, Thompson and Pitlick are UFA. I only sign Pitlick.  I'd like to see the Flyers push for Duclair or Athanasiou

I still think Laine ends up in Philly

** Statsny goes back to Jets. This shoots down that theory 

Edited by CoachX

59 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I'd like to see the Flyers push for Duclair or Athanasiou

These are decent options. Duclair could right the Goulbourne wrong done back in 2013, plus he is a goal scorer.

However i think priority #1 has to be finding a partner for Ivan on the top pair. Erik Cernak is catching my eye i will say.

Tampa has cap issues and a few guys needing to be signed...

Make an offer for Cernak for about 4.3 mill per season. All they would owe Tampa is a 2nd round pick.

Provorov - Cernak

Sanheim - Myers

Ghost - Friedman

Hagg - Braun

Not too shabby. Myself i would have loved to have left the spot for Friedman since i like him over Braun.

i think i know what fletch is doing he's trying to bring in players that know the coaches system and shatty played for av, koivu played for yeo, it makes sense why because they know the system and it's the reason why the brought back braun, bringing in new players that have to learn a new system will cause them to struggle and hurt the chemistry.

Edited by tucson83

I actually think he's trying to keep the pay roll low so he can resign some guys identified to be core players.

Couturier, Sanhiem, Patrick, Myers at least will be needing new deals. 

I don't think they're going to be cheap.

So not blowing 6aav on Shattenkirk or some **** is wise imo.

There are a lot of young guys who are cheap pushing for these bottom 6 roles.

I think the big need would be to fill the Niskanen void, that's going to be difficult, but I think if we see anything it will be for a top 4 rhd. Even though Shatty fills that role. I don't like him, so whatever the deal would be I would not be "oh yay" over. 

I don't mind that the Flyers aren't all drunk sailor in Bangkok right now. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

I'm happy with the Flyers not signing any of these FAs that have been signed. I don't like the Braun extension though. He looked done to me. But maybe they see him as a mentor type. 

Out of all the FAs out there I would kick the tires on Haula for his speed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CoachX said:

draft over! FA is here!

What do the flyers do? I think Grant, Thompson and Pitlick are UFA. I only sign Pitlick.  I'd like to see the Flyers push for Duclair or Athanasiou

I still think Laine ends up in Philly

** Statsny goes back to Jets. This shoots down that theory 

Pitlick to AZ for two years, AAV of 1.75.  

Yeah, Grant back to Anaheim along with Shattenkirk. 

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/10/09/ducks-sign-kevin-shattenkirk-derek-grant-on-opening-day-of-free-agency/

I can't imagine they keep Nate.  I see these as positive.  Room for the youngins, cap space for someone who might help us. 

Fletcher isn't going dumpster diving via free agency. I'm worried though about reading reports that they're considering targeting Matthew Dumba via trade. I want no part of Dumba. Honestly, I'd rather the right side be Myers, Gostisbehere and Braun than bringing in someone else. 

As for the bottom six, go all young. Lindblom/Frost/Farabee and Laughton/Bunnaman/NAK. There's speed, offense, defense, and physicality. You're also getting much needed exposure to the pro game to ask the young guys and they're still going to play quite a bit. I see penalty killers and power play performers here. This could be an incredibly talented bottom six group and more important, cost controlled for the next few years, which will be critical with a flat cap for 3 seasons

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16

I'm pretty surprised that Krug found a home before Pietrangelo. The fact that Krug's new home is Pietrangelo's says the big domino has yet to fall.

I am hoping that if the Flyers aren't "in" on AP they're at least going to try to keep him out of the Eastern Conference. 

Saw a few people on twitter and Bill M saying maybe a trade for Nate Schmidt might be a way to help that outcome.

I wonder what has to happen and where the leverage really is for this particular deal.

I think that the Niskanen retirement kinda ****ed the Flyers in that the young guys could have really used one more year to be 'ready' for prime roles. Trading for a Schmidt or Ristolienan makes for a different sort of problem down the road with regard to the expansion draft.

Also I remember when I thought Derrick Pouillot was going to be a very good NHL player for a long time. Seems the Flyers aren't the only PA team with the ability to ruin a prospect, he never took off in Pgh and has largely been meh. In 2014 I would have been more excited to have him in the fold. 

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Fletcher isn't going dumpster diving via free agency. I'm worried though about reading reports that they're considering targeting Matthew Dumba via trade. I want no part of Dumba. Honestly, I'd rather the right side be Myers, Gostisbehere and Braun than bringing in someone else. 

As for the bottom six, go all young. Lindblom/Frost/Farabee and Laughton/Bunnaman/NAK. There's speed, offense, defense, and physicality. You're also getting much needed exposure to the pro game to ask the young guys and they're still going to play quite a bit. I see penalty killers and power play performers here. This could be an incredibly talented bottom six group and more important, cost controlled for the next few years, which will be critical with a flat cap for 3 seasons

your mindset over young players over having experience is going to bite this team sooner or later, look what happened to the eagles, they let all the talent go and they are left with inexperience and it's dragging them down, you cant let experience players go and expect them to be successful because none of those players could make a difference and they will take a step back and dont make the playoffs, that's the reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

your mindset over young players over having experience is going to bite this team sooner or later, look what happened to the eagles, they let all the talent go and they are left with inexperience and it's dragging them down, you cant let experience players go and expect them to be successful because none of those players could make a difference and they will take a step back and dont make the playoffs, that's the reason.

And your mindset of filling the bottom six with trash and pretend that just because they're veterans that they'll make a difference continually bites this club on the ass when the bottom six is continually exposed. Look at that bottom six. Lindblom has seasons under his belt. Laughton has a number of seasons under his belt. Bunnaman and NAK have been on the shuttle back and forth between Philadelphia and Lehigh Valley. Farabee has had a full season so he understands what's expected of him. The only one who doesn't have the experience like the rest of them is Frost. Is it young? Yep. But it's talented and they can help spell the top six when the top six is out of sorts. 

The last thing this club needs is filling the bottom six with trash like the Nate Thompsons or Derek Grants or anyone of that ilk. The window for contention is opening in Philadelphia and it's time to use that window to work in the young talent. Letting them sit and watch or play in Lehigh Valley because a grizzled veteran is here is simply outdated thinking. 

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

So Raffl is a top 6?