Free Agency

CoachX

44 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

And your mindset of filling the bottom six with trash and pretend that just because they're veterans that they'll make a difference continually bites this club on the ass when the bottom six is continually exposed. Look at that bottom six. Lindblom has seasons under his belt. Laughton has a number of seasons under his belt. Bunnaman and NAK have been on the shuttle back and forth between Philadelphia and Lehigh Valley. Farabee has had a full season so he understands what's expected of him. The only one who doesn't have the experience like the rest of them is Frost. Is it young? Yep. But it's talented and they can help spell the top six when the top six is out of sorts. 

The last thing this club needs is filling the bottom six with trash like the Nate Thompsons or Derek Grants or anyone of that ilk. The window for contention is opening in Philadelphia and it's time to use that window to work in the young talent. Letting them sit and watch or play in Lehigh Valley because a grizzled veteran is here is simply outdated thinking. 

bottom six isnt the issue

47 minutes ago, CoachX said:

So Raffl is a top 6?

Nope. Raffl is shown the door. The only way Raffl is kept is if the Flyers can move van Useless. As it stands the top six would be :

Giroux/Couturier/Konecny

Van Useless/Hayes/Voracek

That's pretty much the reality because no one will touch that contract of JVU. Might as well try to make an asset out of him. Hopefully someone can be duped in trading for the hot bag of garbage. 

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

The last thing this club needs is filling the bottom six with trash like the Nate Thompsons or Derek Grants or anyone of that ilk. The window for contention is opening in Philadelphia and it's time to use that window to work in the young talent. Letting them sit and watch or play in Lehigh Valley because a grizzled veteran is here is simply outdated thinking.

I really hope you are right, but I don't see the window opening.  I see a mix of declining veterans and under-baked middle six prospects who won't be ready for another 2-3 years, combined with half of a very good defense and a potentially great goalie.  Things would have to go extraordinarily right for this team and prospect pool to be contenders instead of perennial 4-5 seeds who never make it.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Nope. Raffl is shown the door.

So, just waive him? Good bye, see ya later? Doesnt that contradict those who argue that quality players ( Nolan Patrick) should be treated decently? Not to mention, he has put up better numbers than Laughton over the same time period. If Laughton has trade value, so dese Raffl. Whst team would just throw that away? And I also wonder how, after part of a season, does NAK have more value

1 hour ago, flyer4ever said:

#25 & #28 are 16 million reasons why the Flyers are stuck in neutral for 3 more years. You can't give the team to the young guys with these 2 still around. Bottom 6 is not the issue.

this isnt going to a fun a couple of years.

Trying to be a arbiter and peacemaker, I'd say that the truth is in the middle.  I do think the youngins should be brought in and given enough rope to hang themselves. If our pool is as good as the pundits say, the sooner we find out, the better.

Corey Perry and Joe Pavelsky were 35+ and very good in the finals.  That said, I have some concerns about our 8 million dollar brigade.  We may need to bit the bullet with one of them, or maybe JVR, to send a signal about accountability and build on a better player foundation.  I posted my thread about 2008 Redux for a good reason.  We thought that was the beginning of a new era and it really wasn't, SCF two years later aside.  I am worried that the current group is sort of mixed bag that AV over-achieved with.  We probably need to grow a core together.  And as I said two nights ago, I look at what the rest of the Metro looks like and wonder how we will compete?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

We may need to bit the bullet with one of them, or maybe JVR, to send a signal about accountability and build on a better player foundation

Howie,

Can you explain what you mean? What action do they take to accomplish this?

13 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Can you explain what you mean? What action do they take to accomplish this?

Greetings:

I suspect it is either buyout or trade with salary contribution.  That is not a fun thing to contemplate but look at what happened with Turris and others.  At some point, a team's management says we absorb the sunk costs but move forward.  Shoot, I am not sure we're done with Bryzgalov....  We did it (cheaply) with Umberger.  We did it (in part) with Vinny.  

If it isn't done now, I suspect some people on the squad will be offered as rentals with salary absorption.  That is grim but so is my outlook.  If we got a high pick for one of our elders, plus a prospect, I'd say fine.  This is becoming a young person's league.  The speed and cap seem to drive it there.  I don't think you can get sentimental about owning a particular stock.  I don't think you can do that as a GM with a certain player.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

bottom six isnt the issue

Maybe the Flyers can help the Knights out by taking Shea Theodore off their hands.

His 5.2 will fit nicely where Niskanen's sat.

And then they can sign AP and give him his old number which Shea was wearing.

Works out for both sides.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe the Flyers can help the Knights out by taking Shea Theodore off their hands.

I don't think he'd be available,  but maybe his partner Nate Schmidt might be, he's got a good name for Phi anyway. 

He's a left shot but likes to play on the right sidr and he would certainly be a top 4 guy here too. He's on an okay contract and as long as what we send to LV to bring him here isn't too steep he could be left unprotected depending upon how York , Zamula, Millman, Ginning, St Ivany progress 

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Best news all day.

Nate Thompson signing a one-year, $750k deal with

This is tremendous news. Hearing this has assuaged my desire to exact frustrations upon those hovering at the top of an escalator

The world is a better place for this, and i can delay my certain incarceration for malfeasance

and since you brought me this delight, you have solidified your position as "poster extraordinaire" ....but don't tell Pods

Edited by CoachX
  • Good Post 1

14 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

but maybe his partner Nate Schmidt might be

He has a no movement clause I'd rather have  Shea.

Plus with AP in town you know he'd want that number. So let's help em out with the awkward situation before it arises.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

He has a no movement clause I'd rather have  Shea.

Plus with AP in town you know he'd want that number. So let's help em out with the awkward situation before it arises.

Or we can just sign AP, and he can wear a new number.....maybe 25

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Theodore is a lefty though, which doesn't really fit the mold of what AV seems to really want, LH/RH on each pair. Otherwise you can just move Sanheim, Ghost, or Hagg to the right side without making a trade. Plus, I'd expect Vegas wants no salary coming back, which would make things dicey on the cap in this direction.

And for those that worry about these things (I don't), Theodore's contract extends past next season, so that means you now have Provorov/Sanheim/Myers/Ghost/Theodore that you need to decide amongst for expansion.

I'd be interested to see if St. Louis is open to dealing Parayko in order to get under the cap. Had a bit of a down year last year, but is a righty, makes $5.5 million for the next two years. But St. Louis could take some money back, so if you send them a Hagg/Raffl/Laughton the other way to make the money work on this end it will work for them too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

11 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Theodore is a lefty though, which doesn't really fit the mold of what AV seems to really want, LH/RH on each pair. Otherwise you can just move Sanheim, Ghost, or Hagg to the right side without making a trade. Plus, I'd expect Vegas wants no salary coming back, which would make things dicey on the cap in this direction.

And for those that worry about these things (I don't), Theodore's contract extends past next season, so that means you now have Provorov/Sanheim/Myers/Ghost/Theodore that you need to decide amongst for expansion.

I'd be interested to see if St. Louis is open to dealing Parayko in order to get under the cap. Had a bit of a down year last year, but is a righty, makes $5.5 million for the next two years. But St. Louis could take some money back, so if you send them a Hagg/Raffl/Laughton the other way to make the money work on this end it will work for them too.

It's a moot point really.

I feel some bargain bin diving once all the dust settles so they can at least say they tried and they didn't see anyone else they liked that worked out for them.