Free Agency

CoachX

33 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Our troubles are over folks!!.... We signed Pouliot!

what is it with these philly teams think they are better than everyone else, eagles, phillies, sixers, flyers, are all the front offices deaf, blind and dumb?

we lost talent, it's ok we have young players we are going to win a championship like in what universe do teams win championships when you downgrade to rookies if they have no talent?

1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

what is it with these philly teams think they are better than everyone else, eagles, phillies, sixers, flyers, are all the front offices deaf, blind and dumb?

we lost talent, it's ok we have young players we are going to win a championship like in what universe do teams win championships when you downgrade to rookies if they have no talent?

I honestly expected this, for them to run it back.

And most of wanted them not to bring the guys back they let walk.

The one thing I didn't see coming is Niskanen retiring.

So the one thing I didn't agree with which they did was bring back Braun.

But I can live with it. They are also it seems they will do want i wanted and a few here wanted.

They are going to let the kids be given a shot to fill in.

A lot is riding on Patrick. And if he comes through it could be a solid lineup still.

Giroux - Coots - Jake

Lindblom - Hayes - TK

JVR - Patrick - Farabee

Raffl - Laughton - NAK

And then Frost can be the 13th forward.

But if they want him to start in LV I am good with that.

I can see them signing a vet to fill a 13th forward spot like Micheal Grabner maybe.

And they have room if things go well to make a trade for help before the trade deadline on a hopeful rental. Not all that bad.

My issue is the blue line because right now I do not like Braun on the top pair.

And I like Sanheim and Myers to stay together. Plus from a cap standpoint they don't want to have to fork out the money to Myers on his next deal which would be better to play him top 4 money instead of top 2 money on the defense.

Provorov - Braun

Sanheim - Myers

Ghost - Hagg

Friedman

Hart

Elliott

So I would really like for them to find a better #2 defenseman option than what is currently on the roster.

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I honestly expected this, for them to run it back.

And most of wanted them not to bring the guys back they let walk.

The one thing I didn't see coming is Niskanen retiring.

So the one thing I didn't agree with which they did was bring back Braun.

But I can live with it. They are also it seems they will do want i wanted and a few here wanted.

They are going to let the kids be given a shot to fill in.

A lot is riding on Patrick. And if he comes through it could be a solid lineup still.

Giroux - Coots - Jake

Lindblom - Hayes - TK

JVR - Patrick - Farabee

Raffl - Laughton - NAK

And then Frost can be the 13th forward.

But if they want him to start in LV I am good with that.

I can see them signing a vet to fill a 13th forward spot like Micheal Grabner maybe.

And they have room if things go well to make a trade for help before the trade deadline on a hopeful rental. Not all that bad.

My issue is the blue line because right now I do not like Braun on the top pair.

And I like Sanheim and Myers to stay together. Plus from a cap standpoint they don't want to have to fork out the money to Myers on his next deal which would be better to play him top 4 money instead of top 2 money on the defense.

Provorov - Braun

Sanheim - Myers

Ghost - Hagg

Friedman

Hart

Elliott

So I would really like for them to find a better #2 defenseman option than what is currently on the roster.

I still think AP will fill that hole. Then Ghost and another bottom 6 center goes in a trade (maybe with a prospect), to bring in a scorer

1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

Who should the Flyers have signed?

They were in on Brodie but he wanted an NMC. Is he a guy you'd rather keep than say Lindblom?

Torrey Krug is 30 and is now signed for 7 years at 6.5... Would that deal have made you feel better?

These signings and trades are not happening in a vacuum.  Who is out there and avaliable that really makes the Flyers better?

Pietrangelo for sure,  does he want to play in Phi?

Taylor Hall has he ever been great?

I agree there needs to be a replacement for Niskanen, the current roster/ cap situation makes filling that role tricky regarding the expansion draft and little to no cap increase. 

I'd rather the FO get the right players. I'm not sure the Flyers missed on anyone yet. 

I dont see the current roster being what starts the next season. There will be some trade that takes place. There is no way they can stand pat, knowing this current group wasnt good enough to get it done. There is also no way they keep a player like ghost floundering. He is either the guy to take Nisky's spot, or he is a trade commodity. I think he will be traded in a package to bring in some offensive help

37 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I dont see the current roster being what starts the next season. There will be some trade that takes place. There is no way they can stand pat, knowing this current group wasnt good enough to get it done. There is also no way they keep a player like ghost floundering. He is either the guy to take Nisky's spot, or he is a trade commodity. I think he will be traded in a package to bring in some offensive help

i really hope so, the last thing i need right now is watching another team fall apart like what the eagles are doing right now.

right now my confidence is very low with this team, if they make a move, i'll admit that im wrong and overreacted but the fletcher press has me very discouraged. if he said we are going to do our best to improve this team then it would be a different story, the stuff he says that i like our team, no big moves, not something you want to hear after what happened in the playoffs.

Edited by tucson83

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Who should the Flyers have signed?

They were in on Brodie but he wanted an NMC. Is he a guy you'd rather keep than say Lindblom?

Torrey Krug is 30 and is now signed for 7 years at 6.5... Would that deal have made you feel better?

These signings and trades are not happening in a vacuum.  Who is out there and avaliable that really makes the Flyers better?

Pietrangelo for sure,  does he want to play in Phi?

Taylor Hall has he ever been great?

I agree there needs to be a replacement for Niskanen, the current roster/ cap situation makes filling that role tricky regarding the expansion draft and little to no cap increase. 

I'd rather the FO get the right players. I'm not sure the Flyers missed on anyone yet. 

I'm going to play the mean SOB, that says this. I love what Lindblom is doing, but what if his lymphoma shows back up? What if Patrick is injury riddled and decides to suddenly hang them up next season? Brodie, while not a flashy player by any means, can give you a better power play..something the Flyers obviously need. I won't get into Pietrangelo, because I don't think he will sign here ...because I don't think the "organization" , has the guts or creativity to make that kind of move. Yeah, cap room as well at the moment. I don't know about you, but I'll take Hall on LW on either of the Flyers top two lines. See ya, JVR...I can only hope.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I'm going to play the mean SOB, that says this. I love what Lindblom is doing, but what if his lymphoma shows back up? What if Patrick is injury riddled and decides to suddenly hang them up next season? Brodie, while not a flashy player by any means, can give you a better power play..something the Flyers obviously need. I won't get into Pietrangelo, because I don't think he will sign here ...because I don't think the "organization" , has the guts or creativity to make that kind of move. Yeah, cap room as well at the moment. I don't know about you, but I'll take him on LW on either of the Flyers top two lines. See ya, JVR...I can only hope.

None of what your saying is lost on me, nor have I failed to consider those things.

The Lindblom and Patrick situations you mention are the 2 worst possible outcomes for each situation.   If the scenario you mention plays out there's kind of nothing to be done is there?

Tj Brodie for 5 years at whatever for however with NMC is cut 567 of 1000.

As for Hall, that dude is snake bit, probably a perfect fit with the Flyers. 

He would make the team better I'm sure. I don't know if I would pay that man his money. Because I think it would be too much. 

Just saying I can't really get my knickers in a twist because Jesper Fast signed with Carolina and not here et al. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Uggh... 1

19 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I'm going to play the mean SOB, that says this. I love what Lindblom is doing, but what if his lymphoma shows back up? What if Patrick is injury riddled and decides to suddenly hang them up next season? Brodie, while not a flashy player by any means, can give you a better power play..something the Flyers obviously need. I won't get into Pietrangelo, because I don't think he will sign here ...because I don't think the "organization" , has the guts or creativity to make that kind of move. Yeah, cap room as well at the moment. I don't know about you, but I'll take Hall on LW on either of the Flyers top two lines. See ya, JVR...I can only hope.

Well I understand what you're saying but the true reality of the situation is it may look like the have 8.6 mill to spend but once you consider the guys they have to sign after the up coming year there isn't a lot to go around unless the cap goes back up.

Hart, Sanheim, Myers, Laughton and Raffl as well as a back up goalie will need to be addressed with new contracts or left to walk.

So unless they take the 8.6 mill and use it on a guy who is in their last year of their deal they are going to have to wait for someone who wants what they have to offer on a one year deal.

Unless you expect Chuckles to spend up to the limit and then worry about all the issues it causes next summer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well I understand what you're saying but the true reality of the situation is it may look like the have 8.6 mill to spend but once you consider the guys they have to sign after the up coming year there isn't a lot to go around unless the cap goes back up.

Hart, Sanheim, Myers, Laughton and Raffl as well as a back up goalie will need to be addressed with new contracts or left to walk.

So unless they take the 8.6 mill and use it on a guy who is in their last year of their deal they are going to have to wait for someone who wants what they have to offer on a one year deal.

Unless you expect Chuckles to spend up to the limit and then worry about all the issues it causes next summer.

I don't consider Raffl a "must sign". A good player, yes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

@FD19372

This is why i'm a little leery of blowing the whole wad on Taylor Hall.

To clarify this point also, I'm not sitting here in Pennsyltucky saying everything with this team is great and nothing needs fixin'.

The tournament we just watched brought some things to light. Now, how much credence do we give what we just watched versus what was happening pre-COVID?

I have no problem admitting to being leery of signing a guy to big dollars who then keeps the team from signing the homegrown guys in the system.

I think there are good players on the way and would hate to see the Flyers have to let a guy walk because of the cap the way Brandon Saad was let go by Chicago. I also understand if the guys progress the way we want them too this will happen regardless. 

The last time the GM was told to go get a scorer we wound up with JvR redux. That has made zero people I know happy. 

I can understand why Fletcher wants to be deliberate. It seems that he has learned some things from his time in Minnesota and is relishing the opportunity to build a team without an owner telling him to sign all the things.

The fan base has been burned so many times by the ownership reaching for the shiny player or trading a young guy for a month of a washed up "name" . It's hard to know what the correct course of action is.

6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The last time the GM was told to go get a scorer we wound up with JvR redux. That has made zero people I know happy. 

That, to me, was nothing less than an organizational copout. I know that's a bit harsh, but that's how I viewed it then, and view it now. They have NHL scouts don't they? They should be in on Hall, and any other scoring depth, or next year it will probably be much the same thing. Maybe TK bounces back, and Hayes should be good again, but then...you have G, Voracek AND JVR who don't put the puck in the net enough.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FD19372 said:

That, to me, was nothing less than an organizational copout. I know that's a bit harsh, but that's how I viewed it then, and view it now. They have NHL scouts don't they? They should be in on Hall, and any other scoring depth, or next year it will probably be much the same thing. Maybe TK bounces back, and Hayes should be good again, but then...you have G, Voracek AND JVR who don't put the puck in the net enough.

The same Taylor Hall who has had only two seasons of 80 or more points in his 10 year career?  He's going to cost big dollars, demand an NMC, and we're going to lose a player trying to fit him in. 

Seriously, why is the rebuild being abandoned? The playoffs showed there are still legitimate holes in this club. Speeding up the rebuild to 'contend' always turns out bad. Take your lumps and continue building the proper way. 

This IS the Flyers. Let's not forget. For a Flyers team to advance in the playoffs, any thought that a rebuild is in the works is sadly mistaken. This franchise has shown that over decades, and they aren't changing now. There will be moves. I suspect they are trying to land impact players and have found methods to do it. I really don't see them PASSING on a potential impact player to plan for the future. Young players will be expected to step up. And we may see that. But I don't see them standing pat waiting for the farm to go from being the "future" to being the now

Edit: After reading what I wrote, I need to clarify. I don't think they will mortgage the future recklessly. I meant to suggest they will make a move reminiscent of the Hayes move last season. If they can land a big fish, they will. And if it costs some smaller ones, so be it

Edited by CoachX

9 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

The same Taylor Hall who has had only two seasons of 80 or more points in his 10 year career?  He's going to cost big dollars, demand an NMC, and we're going to lose a player trying to fit him in. 

Seriously, why is the rebuild being abandoned? The playoffs showed there are still legitimate holes in this club. Speeding up the rebuild to 'contend' always turns out bad. Take your lumps and continue building the proper way. 

Look at who he's played with. Hall would have the best talent on his line here, that he's ever had in his career.  Losing "a player" won't kill us, unless it's Provorov or Hart. As much as I like him, I'm not even sure losing TK would kill us.

Edited by FD19372

Lindblom's health is a wildcard, but I assume/hope that the three-year extension reflected a good prognosis. I will be curious to see the offer to Patrick.  Per prior posts, I can't see this going more than two years.  If it does, it would be a great leap to faith that Fletcher shouldn't make.  

As others have said, we may have over-achieved this year. Our Metro competitors are really loading up. I won't fault Fletcher for avoiding crazy overpay.  He might be playing a wait-and-see game with the coming season.  He might feel trades during the season are less costly. And he might get a read on where the youngins are going.  BTW, on Ghost, he might have gotten reads that nobody is that interested.  We may need to play him back to trade-ability, for something worthwhile, or a bag of pucks.  

I agree with Ron Jeremy and other other that this team will probably be playing a defensive style of play given the absence of snipers/creative types.  Maybe we grow them?  Meanwhile, the last few playoff games may be an indicator of what we're facing unless some of the newbies show something we don't have now. 

• Good Post 1

6 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Lindblom's health is a wildcard, but I assume/hope that the three-year extension reflected a good prognosis. I will be curious to see the offer to Patrick.  Per prior posts, I can't see this going more than two years.  If it does, it would be a great leap to faith that Fletcher shouldn't make.  

As others have said, we may have over-achieved this year. Our Metro competitors are really loading up. I won't fault Fletcher for avoiding crazy overpay.  He might be playing a wait-and-see game with the coming season.  He might feel trades during the season are less costly. And he might get a read on where the youngins are going.  BTW, on Ghost, he might have gotten reads that nobody is that interested.  We may need to play him back to trade-ability, for something worthwhile, or a bag of pucks.  

I agree with Ron Jeremy and other other that this team will probably be playing a defensive style of play given the absence of snipers/creative types.  Maybe we grow them?  Meanwhile, the last few playoff games may be an indicator of what we're facing unless some of the newbies show something we don't have now. 

lots of good points Howie. I agree on some (Lindblom and Patrick)

I dont think the franchise thinks they overachieved. They built the team to compete in the playoffs and they did. This coaching staff, Nisky and Hayes,  were brought in for that reason. I just don't see them tapping the brakes. G and Jake are getting older, if they are playing a development game, by the time it peaks, they will be worse, and now you have those holes to fill. As for Ghost, I think he is fortunate that his skill set is in demand. I see him being part of a deal that brings an offensive sniper type in. And as these young guys develop, I think some players that are coveted by many on this forum, will find themselves on other teams