Free Agency

CoachX

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

maybe this move puts some truth to the rumors of a bigger deal. maybe ghost is being packaged to move in a guy in a multiplayer move. rumors were Laine

who knows?

If Winnipeg turned down Pesce and Necas plus #13 this year like @OccamsRazor mentioned, I'm not sure the Flyers can match that with Ghost as part of the deal. While I like Ghost almost as much as Pesce, I doubt other GMs are going to let Fletcher get the same value, even if they feel the same. So that means you have to offer a better forward than Necas. With Patrick's future uncertain and Frost an unproven commodity, that leaves Konecny or Lindblom, and neither helps Winnipeg at center where they really need it.

And that's good, because I want nothing to do with Laine.

• Like 1

The Gustaffson deal is strange on face. Maybe they are moving Ghost. Or maybe they think he is only two years removed from a 60 point season and might have some offense that helps.  At one year, this is not a long-term marriage. If you net out Pitlick, Grant, and Thompson, but add Pulliot in, we are still saving 1.7 million or so.  So this guy isn't adding a bunch.  And we still save Mr. Niskanen's 5 plus.  So, you bring in youngins for the fourth line and we see what happens.  I really don't think Nolan can expect a lot.  Myers--we see.  

Our last big signing, JVR, doesn't expire.  If Chuckles is gun shy right now, fine.  

While Fletcher has indicated he is bargain hunting, this move seems to have more to do with the expansion draft than I would have expected.  

Their defensive line up seems weird to me for now, as if there has to be another move coming.  With Gustaffson in the line up in place of Niskanen, Gostisbehere’s iffy defensive play makes him an odd fit for 7th defenseman.  So on the one hand I think it’s more likely he’s on the move but on the other am unclear why, if he is, it hasn’t happened before now.  

Edited by terp

I like Gustafsson. Whether he is the right type of Dman or right fit, remains to be seen. But he's an experienced (but not old), mobile puck mover with some skill. And he's way better defensively than Ghost. 

Note: this is not the same Erik Gustafsson that played for the Flyers 2010-12. 

This one is slightly bigger and I think better. The other one is playing in the Swedish Elite League

• Like 1

I think the plan is to have Gus on the top pp instead of Provs. As great as Provs is, his lateral movement is lacking, so no passing lanes open up. This will be good for the suffering pp. Keep Ghost in case of injury and let the Kracken take him or JVR in the expansion draft.

3 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I like Gustafsson. Whether he is the right type of Dman or right fit, remains to be seen. But he's an experienced (but not old), mobile puck mover with some skill. And he's way better defensively than Ghost. 

Note: this is not the same Erik Gustafsson that played for the Flyers 2010-12. 

This one is slightly bigger and I think better. The other one is playing in the Swedish Elite League

I like him also...he's way better than just serviceable. He's 2 years removed from scoring 60 pts for Chicago, which is nothing to sneeze at. A respectable gamble.

I don't know enough about him to be excited or ambivalent so. I reckon I'll have to wait and see how he plays.

What I have seen is a lot of people comparing Gustaffson to Ghost, some say (Twitter) with worse defensive ability but you guys are saying he's better, except for @flyer4ever who wins with the most 'on brand" quote of this week ( so far )

Perhaps AV just doesn't like Ghost ? And this is a guy with the same game but does x better?

Doesn't seem like a true replacement for Niskanen's minutes- he's not a PKer, I think this was an area where Steady Eddie was really helpful to the team and will be missed the most. Does Friedman take those minutes ?  

Seems like such an underwhelming "get" makes me wonder if there's something else in the works?

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Does Friedman take those minutes ?  

Going to be hard now with the new acquisition it seems.

But he has the right tools in the tool bag I think to be up to the task.

He is a right shot so if he has a good camp and preseason I hope they will have to find a spot for him.

I have to say honestly it is why I wasn't wanting to resign Braun so he could ease into the lineup on the bottom pair with Ghost or Hagg.

One thing that will set him apart from the bottom guys is his speed and ability to get the puck up out the D zone to the forwards in the transition to offense, in my mind is whats going to force the coaches to find a spot in the lineup.

But who knows maybe there is another move to be made.

So reports out there state Flyers had an offer on the table for Koivu but he chose Columbus over Philly because he couldn't be guaranteed the 3rd line center spot with Patrick and Frost in the mix.

I'm good with that.

I still think the Flyers should look into either Vatanen or Hamonic for a right hand guy to plug into the lineup.

Trade Ghost for picks since you have Gus now.

Oh well my 2 cents on it.

Gus will certainly need to be sheltered on the 3rd pairing with a defense first type of partner. My gut says this is all about the top pp and creating chances/passing lanes. That HAS to be fixed...so they are hoping a guy 2 yrs removed from 60 pts can get the job done. He is an excellent passer, but is also exploitable in his own end. If Ghost is no longer deemed the pp answer, this is an acceptable gamble...the answer did not really exist on the present roster...so Fletcher had to find an outside answer that was cost efficient and fit with expansion draft plans. Considering all the factors and variables in play, Fletch seems like he did ok. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, CoachX said:

The fact that we are hoping, indicates theres no hope

I know, right? No skill there. None whatsoever. Can't skate, or pass or shoot or take pucks off his skate onto his stick to score, or see the ice and go to open areas for scoring chances. Certainly nothing like that. Might as well have 68 year old Brad Marsh out there playing D with a scotch in one hand and his dick in the other.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

the Flyers should look into either Vatanen or Hamonic for a right hand guy to plug into the lineup.

Trade Ghost for picks since you have Gus now.

Oh well my 2 cents on it.

Hamonic hasn't been the same player since leaving Long Island. As for Vatanen, if he could ever stay healthy, he'd be ideal. 

I'm not sure how Fletcher fixes this. Gustafsson wasn't a need, especially because he's a left handed defenseman. If they wouldn't play Gostisbehere on the right side as a lefty, nothing convinces me AV will do the same. 

Chuck needs to continue and sit and be patient. He still has cap money left and once he signs Myers, that will only leave one more free agent on the team to be signed (Patrick). 

There's no need to panic and while I understand the Gustafsson signing (only one year, don't need to protect him for the expansion draft), Chuck simply paid to much for him. 

Right now everything seems to be stay the course and not do anything too of the wall. The good news about Gustafsson though is that if this doesn't work out, his cap hit isn't through the roof and you can move him relatively easily. 

3 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I know, right? No skill there. None whatsoever. Can't skate, or pass or shoot or take pucks off his skate onto his stick to score, or see the ice and go to open areas for scoring chances. Certainly nothing like that. Might as well have 68 year old Brad Marsh out there playing D with a scotch in one hand and his dick in the other.  

I think someone needs a hug 🧸

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Gustafsson wasn't a need, especially because he's a left handed defenseman. If they wouldn't play Gostisbehere on the right side as a lefty, nothing convinces me AV will do the same. 

Gus played on the right side alot in fact he prefers the right side.

That is the difference in wanting to play that side versus being asked to play that side like Ghost was.

It makes a huge difference having a left hand shot who can be effective on the right vs a guy who tries but it just doesn't look right.

I think Gus can play the right side better than any of the lefties they have.