Free Agency

CoachX

native of Sweden, Erik Gustafsson is back in his home country practicing with one of his new teammates Robert Hagg.A

The two Swedes work the blue line and will now have an opportunity to do so on the same team after Gustafsson signed a one-year, $3 million contract Monday with the Flyers.

The question is which defenseman will Gustafsson play alongside in 2020-21?

Gustafsson has the makeup of a top-four blueliner with his ability to move the puck, join the rush and create offense. He is a lefty shot but has played on the right side for the past two to three years and said he feels "more confident" on the right side, which is where the Flyers need greater balance after the loss of Matt Niskanen.

With the Blackhawks, the 28-year-old Gustafsson had a breakout 2018-19 campaign in which he scored 60 points (17 goals, 43 assists), the sixth most among all NHL defensemen that season. In 2019-20, he had 29 points (six goals, 23 assists) over 66 games between the Blackhawks and Flames.

While Gustafsson suffered a dip in offensive production, he felt he took positive strides in his defensive play, the area in which he is questioned the most. Gustafsson is skilled, mobile and can quarterback a power play; how is his game in the defensive zone? Will he help the Flyers prevent goals, as well? Oftentimes, good offense is good defense, especially in Alain Vigneault's system.

"The Flyers, it's one of the best teams in the league," Gustafsson said Tuesday in a video interview. "I think the team they have right now is a tough team to play against, they’re playing an offensive type of game and they like the D joining the rush. That’s my type to play the game, too. With all the forwards and defensemen we have, and the goaltending, too, I think this was the best fit for me to be a part of.

"Try to focus on my game and try to be the defensive guy that I am. ... It’s always tough to come into this city and play against them, so it’s fun to be a part of them.”

Gustafsson said his 2019-20 season was not as much of a slump in his eyes.

“I think I played a better game at 5-on-5 and the power play than I did the year before," he said. "It didn’t go point-wise like I wanted. But when I started to play with Duncan Keith two years ago, it was a lot of fun. … He’s one of the best defensemen out there in the league right now and has been that for the past 10 years, too, winning three Stanley Cups. To play with him was a lot of fun. I learned a lot from him. He was talking to me, he could be a little tough on me, but at the same time, I was learning a lot from him.

"I’m an offensive guy, I like to join the rush, play the power play. What I have to learn and be better at is my defensive part of the game. I think I have taken a step from last year, I think I have taken a step even when I played with Calgary and in the playoffs. If I can come in and play like I did the last couple games in the playoffs, it’s going to be a fun season for me and for the team. I’m going to do everything I can to help the team win."

Gustafsson possesses a similar skill set and offensive package to Shayne Gostisbehere, who the Flyers believe has the potential to be a top-four defenseman for them again. However, he might not be poised for such a role with the addition of Gustafsson. Like Gustafsson, Gostisbehere put up a prolific offensive season with 65 points in 2017-18, when he was a top-pair guy alongside Ivan Provorov.

“Well Shayne has been through his career," Flyers general manager Chuck Fletcher said last weekend. "In the '17-18 season, he paired with Provorov and they both had very good seasons by every metric. He’s shown that.

"Obviously his play has slipped a bit with injury and things like that over the last season or two, but Shayne’s only 27. Absolutely he could have an opportunity to have a bigger role on our team next year, as can other players as well. We’ll see how that all shakes out, but we have a pretty good group of defensemen right now coming back next season.”

Hagg and Justin Braun are steady third-pair guys. Gustafsson is set to join one of the club's top-two pairs. Gostisbehere, whose name will continue to float in the trade winds, looks like he is set to compete for playing time and his role. Could Philippe Myers make a big jump to the top pair alongside Provorov? Will Travis Sanheim play with Gustafsson? Who is the odd man out on the blue line? How much will the group miss Niskanen?

There are a lot of questions. When you lose a player the caliber of Niskanen, that is inevitable.

What if the D ended up being:.......

(most unlikely) 

Provorov - Hagg

Sanheim - Myers

Ghost - Gustafsson

Braun

or maybe...

Provorov - Ghost

Sanheim - Myers

Hagg- Gustafsson

Braun

This was an odd signing. An equal or less than/greater than Ghost.

But what if PP1 was:

(could be badass)

G/Coots/Jake

Ghost - Gustafsson

PP2:

JVR/Hayes/TK

Sanheim - Lindblom?/NAK?

Last year the questions where on offense(Hayes), since Fletch got us Nisky and Braun to settle our D pretty straight forward.

This year our D is the question with offense being second kindle.

It's like you had a set number of Lincoln Logs and your parents take away some and drop you a different set that you have to figure out how to use and incorporate the build to your existing imagination of how you wanted to build it.

I know the Power Play and secondary scoring was on his to do list.

He just went about and got odd pieces that say: Can also be used in Power Play situations as well piece.

It is odd, but Gus does fit a need in Power Play use but, not in better 1st pairing partner....

He might think Provy has matured enough to not need Nisky (training wheels) and might see Ghost or Hagg as a fill in and see how it goes. But the thing is he isn't that type of GM, when they put Farabee on hold to sign Grant and Thompson, it was because they had the experience and depth to hold those deep positions in the Heavy Playoff situations that he didn't feel comfortable for Farabee to have to carry or any other youngin.

What was his thought process for picking up Gustafsson? Improving the Power Play? Has somewhat veteran experience? I don't think they want to put Myers in that position or break up the 2nd pairing to allow them to grow together for now.

If this is our opening night defensive roster, I would try Provy with Ghost on the first pair and maybe shuffle it up during the 3rd period on a case by case situation.

I think Myers will get more PK time this coming season with a splash of Sanheim here and there.

Provy, Braun and Hagg will most likely do the heavy lifting.

4 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

What if the D ended up being:.......

(most unlikely) 

Provorov - Hagg

Sanheim - Myers

Ghost - Gustafsson

Braun

or maybe...

Provorov - Ghost

Sanheim - Myers

Hagg- Gustafsson

Braun

This was an odd signing. An equal or less than/greater than Ghost.

But what if PP1 was:

(could be badass)

G/Coots/Jake

Ghost - Gustafsson

PP2:

JVR/Hayes/TK

Sanheim - Lindblom?/NAK?

Last year the questions where on offense(Hayes), since Fletch got us Nisky and Braun to settle our D pretty straight forward.

This year our D is the question with offense being second kindle.

It's like you had a set number of Lincoln Logs and your parents take away some and drop you a different set that you have to figure out how to use and incorporate the build to your existing imagination of how you wanted to build it.

I know the Power Play and secondary scoring was on his to do list.

He just went about and got odd pieces that say: Can also be used in Power Play situations as well piece.

It is odd, but Gus does fit a need in Power Play use but, not in better 1st pairing partner....

He might think Provy has matured enough to not need Nisky (training wheels) and might see Ghost or Hagg as a fill in and see how it goes. But the thing is he isn't that type of GM, when they put Farabee on hold to sign Grant and Thompson, it was because they had the experience and depth to hold those deep positions in the Heavy Playoff situations that he didn't feel comfortable for Farabee to have to carry or any other youngin.

What was his thought process for picking up Gustafsson? Improving the Power Play? Has somewhat veteran experience? I don't think they want to put Myers in that position or break up the 2nd pairing to allow them to grow together for now.

If this is our opening night defensive roster, I would try Provy with Ghost on the first pair and maybe shuffle it up during the 3rd period on a case by case situation.

I think Myers will get more PK time this coming season with a splash of Sanheim here and there.

Provy, Braun and Hagg will most likely do the heavy lifting.

From what I’ve read, the only way you want Gostisbehere and Gustaffson on the ice together is on the power play.  This could be exciting even, but at a cost of having a pretty unbalanced defensive line up.

I think there are some pairings to maximize the skill sets but it’s not ideal (e.g. two of the top 7 probably shouldn’t be in the line up together).  While I hope another move is coming, as I look around the league, I can’t imagine anything plausible that corrects this.  

My knee jerk move is to dump Ghost though I can’t say what that accomplishes without knowing who our new #7 would be.  If it’s Mark Friedman, it’s a salary dump only and maybe a hockey net negative as well.

I really don't agree with the mass on Ghost. I understand that Ghost as someone to coach in the past has not been  the smoothest. He has been somewhat stubborn on how he sees things. But he has improved his attention to detail on defense, since his rookie year.

He can be physical and check players and doesn't shy away from it.

3 on 3 over time talent, he has been an asset.

Keeping the puck in zone miraculously in (5 v 5), (5 v 4), (6 v 5) during the last minute of PP or last minute of period is having a winning chance weapon to win.

This was an interesting post on BSH site from a poster croppedbee:

And to put it more plainly...

Let’s look at the last three years, including Ghost’s "bad" season with Hagg.

• Ghost’s CFrel% is 4th best on the team, ahead of Niskanen and Provorov and of course all the bums.
  • Ghost’s xGFrel% is 4th best on the team, behind Niskanen, Sanheim, and Gudas.
  • His xGA/60 is tied for 4th best on the team, behind Braun, Niskanen, and Gudas.
  • His ES goals/60 is tied for 4th best on the team, behind Manning, Provorov, and Sanheim (and tied with Myers).
  • His ES expected goals/60 is 4th best on the team, behind the same three players.
  • His ES P/60 is 2nd best on the team while his P1/60 is 6th best on the team.

Maybe Ghost is actually the 4th best Dman on the team.

Posted  by croppedbee  on Oct 14, 2020 | 4:54 PM

Ghost is healthy now and can use his lateral movement to his advantage.

As an offensive defensemen, those types of players play with risk/reward.

TK played that way, and got better. Ghost understood and made progress.

Hextall not only thought of building, but building with quality pieces, it seems that Fletcher believes in this as well.

If they continue to get high character talent then the trades they eventually make will be easier to stomach.

Fletcher so far has been at first strike questionable, but on further evaluation shown wisdom with his choices. Maybe pays a little to sweet for our liking, but provides the pieces to not be left in the lurch.

This is an odd year to be a Flyers fan, sports fan in general.

I wonder what AV's take is on the Gus acquisition besides, let the boys play it out come training camp.

• Like 2

The back-to-back signings of Wisdom and Foerster to ELCs is telling us a lot.  Fletcher really is serious about building from within. I am glad he is staying away from Silly Season.  Gus Bus is reasonable and short-term.  Building for the long-term counts and we don't need any more JVR-style contracts.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

The back-to-back signings of Wisdom and Foerster to ELCs is telling us a lot.  Fletcher really is serious about building from within. I am glad he is staying away from Silly Season.  Gus Bus is reasonable and short-term.  Building for the long-term counts and we don't need any more JVR-style contracts.  

It does look rather controlled and with a purpose. The other thing I would say is that every one of the Flyer picks, as far as I can tell, are character guys. Every one of them. Character guys who have put the work in and are rewarded with contracts is about as good a way forward as I can imagine. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Just wondering out loud, if he was cheap enough, would Duclair be a decent option to strengthen the secondary scoring. I dont wanna block anyone, but Duclair on a cheap one year deal could work. 

I don't know what his issue is(I know his work ethic sucks), but the guy has been on FIVE teams in five years. That's a big red flag to me. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I doubt it.

Ottawa didn't even give him a qualifying offer. He scored 23 goals on a $1.65 contract. His best season. He scored 21 in his first 37 games...then proceeded to score TWO the rest of the way. If that doesn't scream somethings wrong I don't know what does. 

That said, I could be talked into a cheap one year.

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I don't know what his issue is(I know his work ethic sucks), but the guy has been on FIVE teams in five years. That's a big red flag to me. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I doubt it.

Ottawa didn't even give him a qualifying offer. He scored 23 goals on a $1.65 contract. His best season. He scored 21 in his first 37 games...then proceeded to score TWO the rest of the way. If that doesn't scream somethings wrong I don't know what does. 

That said, I could be talked into a cheap one year.

I followed him while he was playing his junior hockey here in Québec. Very talented, but no brain before he joined the league. He has a great potential but really lacks consistency. It didn't work in NY, AZ and Columbus, so there's a reason for that.

Ottawa proposed him a very good deal but he turned it down. So the strategy was: ok test the market and come back if it doesn't work. So if Ottawa re-signs him, it will be on a much cheaper deal.

However, a prove-it 1-year deal at $1M max, I'd definitely go for it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Howie58 said:

The back-to-back signings of Wisdom and Foerster to ELCs is telling us a lot. 

Some good news 5th round pick Elliott Desnoyers has been moved to the Halifax Mooseheads top center spot.

We'll be monitoring that situation going forward too. Giving these kids extra motivation is always huge.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

Ottawa proposed him a very good deal but he turned it down. So the strategy was: ok test the market and come back if it doesn't work. So if Ottawa re-signs him, it will be on a much cheaper deal.

Well one of his issues is he is acting as his own agent.

As ol Lincoln use to say (it was as a lawyer but i think it still applies).

"He who represents himself has a fool for a client..."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Podein25 said:

It does look rather controlled and with a purpose. The other thing I would say is that every one of the Flyer picks, as far as I can tell, are character guys. Every one of them. Character guys who have put the work in and are rewarded with contracts is about as good a way forward as I can imagine. 

Here is some footage of Patrick in his scrimmage game he is wearing #38 fast forward to 3:10 if you don't want to watch whole video and just watch him skate. You can tell when he has the puck on his skate...

10 hours ago, Howie58 said:

problem with that is these players have to prove that they are the core players if not we are going to the bottom, which is why im saying that we have to make deals to get proven young talent from other teams to replace giroux and jake's production and not rely on the what ifs.

Just now, mojo1917 said:

@OccamsRazor

I think I would need to try that in a smaller amount. 

Smooth? how much and what sort of bourbon flavor is there ?

I'm intrigued though.

I'm not sure what bourbon they used but they are soaked in it and then roasted to cook off the alcohol, a very good smooth flavor i think.

But if you do not like the flavor of bourbon you will not like this for sure because it is so good you would think i spiked it.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm not sure what bourbon they used but they are soaked in it and then roasted to cook off the alcohol, a very good smooth flavor i think.

But if you do not like the flavor of bourbon you will not like this for sure because it is so good you would think i spiked it.

yesterday, some practical joker in one of those box trucks with the full-size video panels on the sides thought it would be funny to park right in front of my window and play a commercial for that stuff on a loop for several hours. was it you?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

was it you?

I'll never tell.

Funny story i got up this morning to cut the grass and had my first cup then got dressed and was heading outside to cut the grass (hopefully the last time this season) but before i walked out the house the wife got up saw me dressed and asked where are you going i replied to cut grass.

So she was making a cup of coffee, she drinks plain organic coffee and i had my cup and told her to taste mine new coffee so she did and as soon as she was done sippin she said "WTF are you drinking this early and before you finish the grass you trying to pass out???"

After laughing very hard i explained to her it was just infused coffee no real bourbon was in the cup.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1