Free Agency

CoachX

13 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I don't know what his issue is(I know his work ethic sucks), but the guy has been on FIVE teams in five years. That's a big red flag to me. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I doubt it.

Ottawa didn't even give him a qualifying offer. He scored 23 goals on a $1.65 contract. His best season. He scored 21 in his first 37 games...then proceeded to score TWO the rest of the way. If that doesn't scream somethings wrong I don't know what does. 

That said, I could be talked into a cheap one year.

I was wondering the same thing, always a head scratcher when that many teams in such a short period are involved. He did score some really nice goals last year though. Worst case, he sucks and you bury 90% of his cap hit in the AHL. This would necessitate a 2 way deal of course. A 1 way deal would be a non starter. Thing is, even playing on the 3rd line with Laughts and NAK etc would be equal to the talent on Ottawas top line...or very close. His upside is 15ish goals...which makes the gamble worth taking...assuming 2 way deal. 

• Like 1

Greetings:

Here's an interesting take on Fletcher's inactivity/caution.  I think the author is right--there was risk in not going after the big names, and there is risk in Fletcher's incremental approach:

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2020/10/15/21511027/philadelphia-flyers-nhl-offseason-analysis-chuck-fletcher-erik-gustafsson-roster-thoughts-risk

I think we have faith in the process.  But as Ron Jeremy and I said last week, we go into this season without the kind of scoring firepower we'll see elsewhere.  I suspect we'll have no real 1st line but more of the 1a, 1b, 1c approach with a checking crew.  The defense is sort of collective head scratching.  Whether it's bourbon or merlot, there may be games we wonder about our lack of a sniper or a third pair defense ala Lasse Kukkonen, while we wait for Ward, Friedman, and Zemula to grow up. 

I sit and hope that the draft picks develop and contribute sooner than later. However, the reality is that players drafted after 10 rarely amount to very much. I am sure you will all point out the Brayden Points and others, and there is always the possibility, but the odds are stacked against the Flyers winning a cup with the creep into the playoffs approach. You need 3 or 4 top 3 picks to build a legitimate cup team around, and even then a certain amount of luck is required (JVR, Patrick), in addition to astute asset management. So I sit and hope and wait for all the ducks to line up. I just wish the Flyers would play with a little more passion, a little more grit, a little more push back whilst I sit and wait and hope.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

I sit and hope that the draft picks develop and contribute sooner than later. However, the reality is that players drafted after 10 rarely amount to very much. I am sure you will all point out the Brayden Points and others, and there is always the possibility, but the odds are stacked against the Flyers winning a cup with the creep into the playoffs approach. You need 3 or 4 top 3 picks to build a legitimate cup team around, and even then a certain amount of luck is required (JVR, Patrick), in addition to astute asset management. So I sit and hope and wait for all the ducks to line up. I just wish the Flyers would play with a little more passion, a little more grit, a little more push back whilst I sit and wait and hope.

Carter and Richards were both drafted outside of 10. They were successful in winning two cups. 

I hope the pool of talent in the farm system is good enough to put the team back on the winning map for years (ala 70s and 80s). It just seems to me that every season there are new kids to discuss, and last years kids are clumped in

When do all these valuable chips actually turn into significant players? By the time they do (if), it will be time to replace those older players who were significant 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CoachX said:

When do all these valuable chips actually turn into significant players? By the time they do (if), it will be time to replace those older players who were significant 

I think we're starting to see it with Lindblom, Koneckny, Myers, Sanheim, Provorov, Laughton your favorite Aube-Kubel, Bunnaman

I don't think the book is closed on Patrick, I think Frost could be "something"  he's got wicked skill.

The kid from Ohio State Lasczynski may have a Matt Read style early career, I think he's a better player than Read but remember how Matt came in and was good and smart right from the jump. I tihnk Tanner can be better. 

I do think we're in the midst of a changing of the guard. 

@flyer4ever

There are so many great players taken in the later rounds I just can't buy into what you're saying about it.

Duncan Keith 53rd

Nik Lidstrom was the 53rd pick

Pavel Datsuk was 171

Brad Marchand 71

Good players can be found all over. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Good players can be found all over. 

Absolutely. E.g., Myers - undrafted. 

I said this in another thread, or maybe here I dunno, but I like that the Flyers drafted character guys. If the draft is a crapshoot, why not take guys with work ethic and character, it improves the odds that they become pros doesn't it? 

• Like 3

Greetings:

I just read a very sobering take on the coming season. It is likely to be 60 or fewer games, and the Can-Am border may be difficult to cross due to COVD, hence the discussion of a Canadian division.  From a fiscal standpoint, absence of gate receipts hurts hockey more than any of the big four.  Fletcher's approach makes a lot of sense under these circumstances.  Some of the small market franchises will be hit very, very hard.  FYI, the Phillies' owners pumped $100 million of their money to make up the operating deficit this year.  They are cutting staff brutally--J.J. Jackson's separation from the Phillies is due to the cuts.  The O and B have Comcast....others may not be so lucky.  

• Like 1

As I said, I'm sure you will all jump in on the exceptions. Since 2000, approx 4500 players have been drafted. The number of impact players chosen outside the top 10 is less than 3 percent. All I'm saying is the odds are stacked against winning a cup by drafting 15th or higher. Nobody wants this any more than I do. I'm 60 yrs young, was playing competitive  hockey when they won back to back.  IMHO, this approach will make for a competitive regular season team, not so much come playoff time, just like what we just saw.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

I just read a very sobering take on the coming season. It is likely to be 60 or fewer games, and the Can-Am border may be difficult to cross due to COVD, hence the discussion of a Canadian division.  From a fiscal standpoint, absence of gate receipts hurts hockey more than any of the big four.  Fletcher's approach makes a lot of sense under these circumstances.  Some of the small market franchises will be hit very, very hard.  FYI, the Phillies' owners pumped $100 million of their money to make up the operating deficit this year.  They are cutting staff brutally--J.J. Jackson's separation from the Phillies is due to the cuts.  The O and B have Comcast....others may not be so lucky.  

With cogent national leadership this scenario may have been minimized.

As long as we as a people continue to claim exception to the well being of the collective, forecasts like the one you read will have a greater chance of coming true. 

So much income and wealth is being willfully frittered away,  it is very disheartening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyer4ever said:

Since 2000, approx 4500 players have been drafted. The number of impact players chosen outside the top 10 is less than 3 percent.

This is interesting, I'm curious as to how it is figured.

Seems like many variables go into being an impact player. 

Not coming at you about it, genuinely curious about the data and criteria used to arrive at that number

39 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Wow--a few weeks back, I pegged this at 2 years at about a million AAV.  This is not a vote of confidence in the guy's future.  Fletcher can chirp all he wants, this isn't much more than Pulliot's recent contract...for a career AHLer with an occasional cup of coffee. Yikes.

2 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Wow--a few weeks back, I pegged this at 2 years at about a million AAV.  This is not a vote of confidence in the guy's future.  Fletcher can chirp all he wants, this isn't much more than Pulliot's recent contract...for a career AHLer with an occasional cup of coffee. Yikes.

I actually see this as a good thing. If Patrick was worried about whether he'd play this coming season, he'd be more apt to go for maybe a two year deal. By just signing his QO, it tells me he thinks he'll play and play well enough to earn a bigger contract after next season.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I actually see this as a good thing. If Patrick was worried about whether he'd play this coming season, he'd be more apt to go for maybe a two year deal. By just signing his QO, it tells me he thinks he'll play and play well enough to earn a bigger contract after next season.

AJ:

I hope you are right.  Your reasoning is good. But these numbers really, really shock me.  It's sad.  I hope the kid makes it. 

So the deadline to sign the qualifying offer is 5 pm tomorrow why has Myers not signed his?

Is this his way of saying he isn't happy?

Not sure but he doesn't have any leverage best thing he can do is sign it then put his nose down and earn his next one.

Edited by OccamsRazor
Trust The Bourbon!!!!
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Podein25 said:

That's fair I guess. 

If we are not gonna win the Cup, I'd love to see some take no prisioners hockey!! Guys with high character and work ethic have one thing in common...they play with an unbridled sense of desperation...i miss that!!

• Like 1