Stastny traded back to Jets

Hopefully second time is a charm.

The Jets just traded for Paul Stastny, sending meh defender Dahlstrom and a 4th rounder in 2022.

Great trade for the Jets, last year when Little fell apart Wheeler had to move into the middle where he is more than capable, but it is not his natural position. This team desperately needed a second line centre and he more than fits the bill.

This was a cash dump for Vegas, rumors have been flying that they need to move one or more of their big contracts and tried to move Pacioretty at the draft. 

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Hopefully second time is a charm.

The Jets just traded for Paul Stastny, sending meh defender Dahlstrom and a 4th rounder in 2022.

Great trade for the Jets, last year when Little fell apart Wheeler had to move into the middle where he is more than capable, but it is not his natural position. This team desperately needed a second line centre and he more than fits the bill.

This was a cash dump for Vegas, rumors have been flying that they need to move one or more of their big contracts and tried to move Pacioretty at the draft. 

I dunno. Stastny is 35 and has a $6.5M cap hit.

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

I dunno. Stastny is 35 and has a $6.5M cap hit.

One year only, then an UFA., Tells me the Jets think they need to go for it this year. Wouldnt be surprised if they sign someone like Barrie on defense as well.

Just now, yave1964 said:

One year only, then an UFA., Tells me the Jets think they need to go for it this year. Wouldnt be surprised if they sign someone like Barrie on defense as well.

Yeah, I realize that, and I know they needed help at C, but that's a lot of cap space that could have been spent on their D which is woeful.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah, I realize that, and I know they needed help at C, but that's a lot of cap space that could have been spent on their D which is woeful.

Agreed, losing Buff, Trouba and the rest left them short on the back end. I kept waiting all year to see who they were adding.

Just saw they resigned Beaulieu and Demelo and shook my head.

15 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Just saw they resigned Beaulieu and Demelo and shook my head.

Demelo played some good hockey for the Jets IMO, often with different pairings. Beaulieu is ok as a number 5 guy, depending on the money

I see Demelo as a 4/5 and Beaulieu as a 6/7 not bad players but the team was a non factor in the postseason with them, i thought they would reshuffle the deck a bit instead of bringing the same guys back.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

I see Demelo as a 4/5 and Beaulieu as a 6/7 not bad players but the team was a non factor in the postseason with them, i thought they would reshuffle the deck a bit instead of bringing the same guys back.

Interesting point. I guess the Jets disagree. I'd say the consensus around here is that Demelo earned a contract and is a #3/4 guy with some specialty team play.

Beaulieu certainly played like he wants to stay in the NHL. He must have had 4 fights this year. But yeah he's not what they need right now. Maybe the Jets sign Hamonic. I don't even know if they can now that they're added Stastny's contract.

15 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Interesting point. I guess the Jets disagree. I'd say the consensus around here is that Demelo earned a contract and is a #3/4 guy with some specialty team play.

Beaulieu certainly played like he wants to stay in the NHL. He must have had 4 fights this year. But yeah he's not what they need right now. Maybe the Jets sign Hamonic. I don't even know if they can now that they're added Stastny's contract.

I know the Jets have help on the blueline coming along, Niku looks like a puck mover but i watched him last year in a game, i love studying defenseman, always have, man is he thin. If his frame fills out and he gains experience he really could be a good one. Logan Stanley has to do it now, time is running out, I have never watched Samberg play but i know the Jets are high on him, and of course, the prize is Heinola. Lots of solid kids, the problem is it takes 300 games of NHL experience before most of them are a finished project on the back end, so you cannot force all f them in at one time. So resigning vets whiley ou ease the kids into the lineup does make sense.

• Like 1