Wings things during the Frenzy

yave1964

All things Detroit during the frenzy

One i dont like is Bobby Ryan is rumored to be Detroit bound after his buyout from the Senators. I guess it isnt bad, a year of playing him while we wait on the kids but meh. Not done yet but rumor is that it is happening.

Krug, man i would love that. Livonia boy who would be a operfect fit for our weak blueline.

1 minute ago, yave1964 said:

All things Detroit during the frenzy

One i dont like is Bobby Ryan is rumored to be Detroit bound after his buyout from the Senators. I guess it isnt bad, a year of playing him while we wait on the kids but meh. Not done yet but rumor is that it is happening.

Krug, man i would love that. Livonia boy who would be a operfect fit for our weak blueline.

I like Krug better also, thinking long-term. But we opened up a couple of forward slots, and it's not likely that Raymond is gonna be ready to play this season--even less likely that he would start. So I understand taking on Ryan if it nets us a decent pick.

Yzerman's objectives are clear: 1. Acquire as much talent through the draft as possible and develop it, and 2. ice a team now that they can somehow market as watchable, so we don't look like we are calling the season before it begins. Ryan would be clearly serving the latter, and depending on what pick(s) we get for him could also serve the former.

I like Krug better also, as the need is larger back there. I want Seider developed and he needs veteran help to get him through the transition. Krug serves us better long term.

Having said that, Is Frans Nielsen gonna be the veteran showing the kids how to be a pro, because if so, !@&$@!%*! Well, Ryan may help me swear less.

This is still gonna be a tough season. I think it starts looking better next season, especially if Raymond beefs up and can be NHL-ready enough to go from the start. Zadina must be licking his chops at the pick. If those two can click...

@SpikeDDS

Good deal with Greiss as a filler while we continue to take our lumps. Solid unspectacular goalie who never gets his due, will serve as 1A to Berniers 1B in net, wont steal a lot of games but doesnt lose them with his poor play.

So Merrill who is meh, Ryan who is Vanek part 2, and a servicable solid goalie in Greiss, and Veleno/Seider signed in Europe for the entire year. It will continue to be ugly but the clouds are parting.

Not a sexy signing but the Wings just brought in Troy Stecher, a penalty killing defender who can actually move the puck out of his own zone, not sure why Vancouver let both he and Tanev get away, they were their best two defensive d-men last year allowing Hughes to roam free. Stecher solid under the radar signing for two years.

Gm's know the players they like, and as we have seen in the history of NHL Gm's, they usually get players back they are familiar with, they drafted, or just plain liked in the past.

Such is the case again with one Mr. Steve Yzerman.
He signs Vladi Namestnikov, 27, to a 2 yr, $2M AAV contract.

Of course, Yzerman drafted Vladi in the 1st round when he was GM of the Lightning, and while Vladi can safely be labeled a "bust" as far as 1st rounders go, he DOES have some playmaking and scoring skill and likely can still perform at a 3rd rounder type level player for the Wings.

He will need some other good linemates around him though as Namestnikov seems to thrive when he is the supplementary player, NOT the main go-to guy.
Yzerman did trade him away, but that was to get the likes of JT Miller and Ryan McDonagh...known NHL quantities which Namestnikov had yet to reach at that time.

Good signing, IMO, for the Wings.
Although, with Vladi, Erne, and who knows how many other former Bolts he may sign while he rebuilds, the team may need to temporarily name themselves the Tampa Bay/Syracuse Red Wings! 😄

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Namestnikov has aolways reminded me of his Uncle, Slava Kozlov who was a member of the famed 'Russian five' with the Wings. Slava to me was always a bit of an underachiever but at the end of the day he played forever nearly 1200 games and then another five or six years in the KHL after his NHL career was done.I always thought there was more there than what he showed, brilliant moments, sometimes even nice long streaks but then ice cold. Scotty Bowman constantly berated himand pushed and prodded.

Namestnikov is for some reason listed as a center but he has played wing most of his career I like him with Detroit, 20 goal depth player on a two year deal with no NMC in his deal. He needs to put up or shut up at this point, Still, much better than Abdelkader, lol. 

5 hours ago, yave1964 said:

@TropicalFruitGirl26

Namestnikov has aolways reminded me of his Uncle, Slava Kozlov who was a member of the famed 'Russian five' with the Wings. Slava to me was always a bit of an underachiever but at the end of the day he played forever nearly 1200 games and then another five or six years in the KHL after his NHL career was done.I always thought there was more there than what he showed, brilliant moments, sometimes even nice long streaks but then ice cold. Scotty Bowman constantly berated himand pushed and prodded.

Namestnikov is for some reason listed as a center but he has played wing most of his career I like him with Detroit, 20 goal depth player on a two year deal with no NMC in his deal. He needs to put up or shut up at this point, Still, much better than Abdelkader, lol. 

Scotty Bowman got on EVERYONE, but yeah, Kozlov too. (Everyone except Brett Hull on the 2002 team.) He would push guys to be better and they would listen and respond because his hands were covered in rings!

I like this deal. Smart. Again a good use of resources that helps ice a team, but doesn’t jeopardize future slots for the young talent as it matures and becomes ready to play.

I really like how Steve has worked this week. He didn’t need to gain respect in Motown, but he just can’t seem to help himself! He’s smart. Always has been.

And you have gotta love hearing the players like Greiss and others who say that he’s a solid reason to consider this team as a decent option. Seriously, we haven’t had that for a while other than history.

The only question remaining is how many of his picks are going to work out as well or better than we hope. Only time will tell.

Edited by SpikeDDS
  • Like 1